Solved ATI 5450 and Catalyst Slow Menu
Hello all, here is my story.

I recently realized I did not have a 64bit install of Ubuntu on my HTPC and installed the latest 64bit release (Raring) on a fresh install. Upon install, the video drivers that were provided showed a major overscan of my TV at 1080p. I was unable to adjust it enough with the TV so I installed that most recent catalyst drivers 13.04 which fixed the overscan. I then installed XBMC Xvba and upon running, i noticed the menus were unbearably slow. Even just moving my mouse was slow. If i windowed XBMC, my mouse was slow even on the Ubuntu desktop. I uninstalled the Xvba release and installed the standard Frodo and it did the same thing. I switched back to the original drivers provided when i installed the OS and XBMC works perfectly, so i know this issue has to do with the drivers.

Has anyone seen this before? This was not an issue with my 32bit install but i prefer to keep the 64bit install. My PC's specs are as follows:

Intel core 2 Quad 6600, 2.4Ghz
4GB Ram
ATi 5450 with 512?(don't remember, could be 1gb)
lots of hdd space.

Is there maybe some other 3rd party driver I could use for the video and still have it function as needed? Right now i'm using the original ubuntu drivers set to 720p with my tv adjusted for overscan but miss my 1080p.

Thanks.
System -> Settings -> System -> Video: Vertical Blank Sync: Always enabled.
For 13.04 you have to use the 13.6 beta driver (howto is in the original xbmc-xvba thread).
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
thanks using the 13.6 driver worked. I normally shy away from beta drivers but obviously needed them this time!
Oki - please set this thread to [Solved]
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATI 5450 and Catalyst Slow Menu1