Android Very interesting hardware for Android...
Hello guys,

I have been researching all the available hardware for an xbmc box based on android, and this one looks fantastic:

ANDROID TV BOX CS918 RK3188 QUAD CORE 1.8GHZ

I'm guessing the quad core processor and graphics chip and 2gb of system ram will be silky smooth on Aeon Nox... or at least, I am hoping!

Anyone tried this hardware?

The only negative I see is only one USB socket (there is also an OTG micro usb, which I guess makes two)

Comments?
Mark.
Buy and try it
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-07-19, 19:47)Martijn Wrote: Buy and try it

wow, what useful advice
gee thanks
It might not be useful, but "buy it and try it" is normally the only option we have when it comes to investigating new hardware.

It's got some nice specs on paper, but there are many variables beyond that. It is interesting to see 2GB of RAM slowly become the norm for ARM. More than XBMC typically needs, even on x86 hardware :)

I do like the additional ports, too.
Is Hardware acceleration inabled for the RK3188 yet? Thought I read that it has issues playing files in xbmc default player and that an external is needed. I am waiting for the new Quad Core models to be released from Geniatech as even the Dual Core units work with XBMC very well.

(2013-07-19, 19:09)fredphoesh Wrote: Hello guys,

I have been researching all the available hardware for an xbmc box based on android, and this one looks fantastic:

I'm guessing the quad core processor and graphics chip and 2gb of system ram will be silky smooth on Aeon Nox... or at least, I am hoping!

The only negative I see is only one USB socket (there is also an OTG micro usb, which I guess makes two)

Comments?
Mark.
(2013-07-19, 20:27)Ned Scott Wrote: It might not be useful, but "buy it and try it" is normally the only option we have when it comes to investigating new hardware.

Hi Ned,
well, as Packetcrypt mentions, there is something I had not thought about, which is why I posted the thread, not to get a smartass response like that first guy wrote Wink

(2013-07-20, 02:39)Packetcrypt Wrote: Is Hardware acceleration inabled for the RK3188 yet? Thought I read that it has issues playing files in xbmc default player and that an external is needed. I am waiting for the new Quad Core models to be released from Geniatech as even the Dual Core units work with XBMC very well.

Good point!
I hadn't considered that, hmmm, I wonder how much the added speed/ram would make up for the lack of hardware acceleration.
I may just buy it. I would like to get a box now, but am reluctant to buy the dual core Geniatech when I know the quads will be out sometime... have you any idea when?

Cheers
Mark.
I think the new chips will be ready some time in September so I figure by the time any manufacturers implement it into any of their machines and have it optimized it wont be until October that we see them for retail.
I too recently bought a cs918 and I absolutely love it. Xbmc is extremely stable, netflix works fine, the browser is fast as I've ever seen on an android. I highly recommend this unit. Only issue I am concerned with is rooting it. It is near impossible. I rooted with baidu and 91.com but I still don't have superuser access, however the man in China who sold me the unit is working on that for me. The problem for me started when full! Screen and hidebar would not work due to not rooted their way. So I found a way to get rid of the bar before opening xbmc that was very simple. Just use search and then click the bar down then open xbmc through search, so easy that the rooting is not even necessary at this point. I will still pursue the root after I receive more instruction from the Chinese.

I plan on buying two more of these, one for my wifes tv in the living room and one to accompany my windows desktop so I can just use the cs918 for most of my desktop needs and can get away from windows and their slowness and the fans and the heat and the updates and all the bad that goes with it. One of my goals is to only use the windows desktop for actual processes and work that requires it. For typical web browsing I'm finding these androids way faster and easier. But yes the cs918 is solid as a rock. And the picture quality is outstanding.
(2013-07-22, 19:00)Electroman15 Wrote: But yes the cs918 is solid as a rock. And the picture quality is outstanding.

Fantastic news!
WRT root, did you try this rom?

I have downloaded it already but don't have my device yet... DHL from China...

Let me know,
Cheers
Mark.
yes just this morning I saw they had that rom available and so I couldn't go to work until it was installed. YES it worked great but then I downloaded their version of xbmc from their xbmc installer and it was v 13 alpha version and it was unstable and youtube and google images (pictures) wouldn't work, crashed xbmc when I tried to click on pictures, then I found youtube gave me "couldn't connect to network" message and couldn't play anything, I spent an hour tonight trying to reinstall other versions and they all failed so then I decided that I needed to uninstall the xbmc 13 and install xbmc 12.2 for androids. That version has worked fine on all sticks and boxes I've tried so far and is stable. So after a night of testing all is fine, I am very happy with the cs918 and am planning on buying a couple more for the other rooms in the house.
(2013-07-24, 02:34)Electroman15 Wrote: So after a night of testing all is fine, I am very happy with the cs918.

Does it play 720p and 1080p content via XBMC?
Does it play all these files ok?
http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests/ (just test: Birds, Monsters, Planet).

Can you post a youtube video of it playing HD content?

Thanks.
(2013-07-24, 02:34)Electroman15 Wrote: yes just this morning I saw they had that rom available and so I couldn't go to work until it was installed. YES it worked great but then I downloaded their version of xbmc from their xbmc installer and it was v 13 alpha version and it was unstable and youtube and google images (pictures) wouldn't work, crashed xbmc when I tried to click on pictures, then I found youtube gave me "couldn't connect to network" message and couldn't play anything, I spent an hour tonight trying to reinstall other versions and they all failed so then I decided that I needed to uninstall the xbmc 13 and install xbmc 12.2 for androids. That version has worked fine on all sticks and boxes I've tried so far and is stable. So after a night of testing all is fine, I am very happy with the cs918 and am planning on buying a couple more for the other rooms in the house.

im happy that you like this romWink
as of youtube in xbmc latest ver (4.4.6) it dont even work on my openelec revo 3700.
try older one (4.4.4)
you can get it here:

http://d-h.st/dQY
"PS3 3.55 Cobra" "XBOX Softmoded (UnleashX&XBMC)"
"HTPC XBMCLive (NAS 4TB of storage)" "LG 3D TV"
(2013-07-24, 02:34)Electroman15 Wrote: 12.2 for androids. That version has worked fine on all sticks and boxes I've tried so far and is stable. So after a night of testing all is fine, I am very happy with the cs918 and am planning on buying a couple more for the other rooms in the house.

Hey there Electroman,
Good news!
BTW have you tried Aeon Nox, does it work ok?
Also, did you install the advancedsetting.xml file to fix 1080p playback in xbmc?
Cheers
Mark.
I know this was asked but is there hardware acceleration for the RK3188 yet? And is it/will it be possible to install another os onto this?
(2013-07-19, 19:09)fredphoesh Wrote: Hello guys,

Comments?
Mark.

I bought this device and got it last week to replace the Measy A5A. I installed XBMC 12.2 and could open the application; however. I haven't played a movie yet through XBMC. I wasn't able to watch Netflix (app version 2,2) movie and the movie appeared scrambled...as if I didn't have permission. I called Netflix about that who seems to be pointing me to the "manufacturer of the mobile device"

I am happy with its performance so far...(VeVo's music videos are crystal sharp). I wish the manual had more content...like the home screen and how to arrange the apps to one's liking. I am learning about the device and Jellybean as I go.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Very interesting hardware for Android...0