• 30(current)
Broken Yahoo! Weather
(2021-03-06, 03:29)David Rad Wrote:
(2021-03-05, 18:34)pkscout Wrote:
(2021-03-05, 06:35)David Rad Wrote: Yahoo had posted several times that its free weather api will be discontinued, but that was postponed several times. Now it seems finally gone, though not quite.

It seems like they are obscuring the location of the json file containing weather data, just like YouTube is obscuring the location of their videos.

For example, the url https://www.yahoo.com/news/_tdnews/api/resource/WeatherService;woeids=[56023011] displays fine in my Chrome browser, but the usual method of getting the data with requests.get(url) produces a 403 error.

Is there a workaround, or should we finally switch to another weather provider?
There is a work around.  I saw the update to Multiweather for Kodi 19 come across this morning.  I applied the same fix to my local copy of Yahoo Weather on Kodi 18, and I have weather again.  So for Kodi 18, it's just a matter of waiting for the update to be done for Yahoo Weather.  If you don't want to wait and have some understanding of editing Python files, you can look at the changes for Multi-weather and apply them to Yahoo Weather.  Here are the changes:

https://github.com/xbmc/repo-scripts/pull/1903/files

The changes made to the file weather.py in Multiweather need to be done to defaulty.py in Yahoo Weather.
Thanks, pkscout. That works like a charm!
Hi. Can you provide fix?
(2021-03-05, 18:34)pkscout Wrote: If you don't want to wait and have some understanding of editing Python files, you can look at the changes for Multi-weather and apply them to Yahoo Weather.  Here are the changes:

The changes made to the file weather.py in Multiweather need to be done to defaulty.py in Yahoo Weather.

For us that are not savvy to edit Python files, can you upload somewhere your working "default.py" ? I'd very much appreciate your kindness Nod
For those running Kodi 18 I can report that after Yahoo stopped working a few days ago I switched to ronie's older weatherbit add-on, applied for my free api key, waited until it was acknowledged as provisioned by weatherbit.io and it works nicely as a substitute for Yahoo (I also filled in my openweathermap api but I don't think that's actually being used).  Once Kodi 19 has been out in the wild for a while and more of my add-ons are upgraded to work with it, I'll upgrade my Kodi to 19 and try ronie's multi-weather add-on but while I wait, weatherbit add-on does work well as a substitute for the venerable yahoo weather add-on.

Kodi 18.9 running on a Mac mini
(2021-03-05, 23:38)ronie Wrote: there will not be any updates (at least not from me) for yahoo weather.
i have no plans to keep this addon, or any of my other python 2 / Kodi 18 addons alive.
python 2 is dead, therefor Kodi 18 is dead and it should no longer be used.

please use the Multi Weather addon with Kodi 19 instead.
That is rather rude.  Many people will not be moving over to Kodi 19 until much later, probably not until we hit version 19.3 or even later because of past experiences when moving from Kodi 17 to 18, of course others will not move because of laziness.  Kodi 18 to 19 is a much bigger change (and definitely for the better), so it is likely people will wait just a little longer.

I could understand it if we are talking about large scale changes but in this case the add on just seems to require some minor changes (although I am struggling to understand them).  No one will object if you say you will stop maintaining after a few months but to stop immediately when even some of the skin are not yet Kodi 19 compatible is not right.
(2021-03-06, 19:40)justin150 Wrote:
(2021-03-05, 23:38)ronie Wrote: there will not be any updates (at least not from me) for yahoo weather.
i have no plans to keep this addon, or any of my other python 2 / Kodi 18 addons alive.

That is rather rude.  Many people will not be moving over to Kodi 19 until much later, probably not until we hit version 19.3 or even later because of past experiences when moving from Kodi 17 to 18, of course others will not move because of laziness.  Kodi 18 to 19 is a much bigger change (and definitely for the better), so it is likely people will wait just a little longer.

I could understand it if we are talking about large scale changes but in this case the add on just seems to require some minor changes (although I am struggling to understand them).  No one will object if you say you will stop maintaining after a few months but to stop immediately when even some of the skin are not yet Kodi 19 compatible is not right.

Completely agree with you; this is the first time I see such lack of interest of any developer to keep it's popular addon maintained for older Kodi versions.
I will certainly not go Matrix way until all my addons are updated to Python 3, and will not be forced to do so because of such negligence...
(2021-03-06, 14:52)Sholander Wrote:
(2021-03-05, 18:34)pkscout Wrote: If you don't want to wait and have some understanding of editing Python files, you can look at the changes for Multi-weather and apply them to Yahoo Weather.  Here are the changes:

For us that are not savvy to edit Python files, can you upload somewhere your working "default.py" ? I'd very much appreciate your kindness Nod

there you have my file edit it.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/jesv2r

hope helpes
(2021-03-06, 22:24)zambu Wrote:
(2021-03-06, 14:52)Sholander Wrote:

hope helpes
Thank you zambu! Now my weather works again. Smile
(2021-03-06, 22:24)zambu Wrote:
(2021-03-06, 14:52)Sholander Wrote: For us that are not savvy to edit Python files, can you upload somewhere your working "default.py" ? I'd very much appreciate your kindness Nod

hope helpes

It helps, thnx a lot for your trouble, I'm very grateful, cheers !
(2021-03-06, 19:40)justin150 Wrote: ... Many people will not be moving over to Kodi 19 until much later, probably not until we hit version 19.3 or even later because of past experiences when moving from Kodi 17 to 18, of course others will not move because of laziness.  Kodi 18 to 19 is a much bigger change (and definitely for the better), so it is likely people will wait just a little longer.

I agree with this.  I have had terrible experiences with upgrading major versions of Kodi in the past, and once even had to skip an entire version waiting for something to get fixed because the developers didn't think it worthwhile to make an interim fix for the then-current version. Later releases have been less problematic but now we have this requirement to use Python 3 which I am sure has broken many older addons.  It would be one thing if I had a spare media center PC that I could install the new version on and see what works and what doesn't, but since I don't and since my current system is finally functioning exactly as I want it to (even the random crashes have pretty much stopped!) I am extremely reluctant to upgrade.  It's partly because of the principle of "if it ain't broke..." but also because my guess is the Kodi developers really don't care if older addons are broken and their developers are no longer around to fix them.  It's definitely not laziness because upgrading couldn't be much simpler (at least in Ubuntu), it is simply fear that things that work perfectly now will not do so after an upgrade.
A very sad day for me.
I just had the message in Kodi 18.9 that Yahoo weather addon has been disabled as it's marked as broken in the repo.
Does that mean that the Yahoo addon has been officially closed down for Kodi 18?
What weather addon would I be best using in Kodi 18.9 in place of Yahoo.
I just got the upgrade to 5.1.0 (libreelec 9.2.6, kodi 18.9) and a notification came up saying that something is wrong with the addon. I checked it under weather and it returned no weather data at all, everything stuck to 0.
Then I had the brilliant idea to remove and reinstall it so as to pay more attention at the notification. The problem is that the addon, although it is in the repo for 18 as seen here*, is not listed under weather addons! What can I do, except sideloading it and replacing its default.py with the working one?

* https://mirrors.kodi.tv/addons/leia/weather.yahoo/

---edit
It seems the notification was just saying that the addon is broken. I downloaded the zip from the mirror, placed the patched default.py and then I sideloaded it to kodi. And it worked! Thank you everyone!

No developer or author owes you or anyone anything, be grateful you got what you got!
(2021-03-07, 16:43)ohhwee Wrote:

No developer or author owes you or anyone anything, be grateful you got what you got!
"Kodi 18 is dead and should no longer be used" Wut? So everyone should just immediately move over to the latest iteration of Kodi and begin using it, bugs and glitches and all? Seems a bit arrogant.
(2021-03-07, 16:43)ohhwee Wrote: No developer or author owes you or anyone anything, be grateful you got what you got!
(2021-03-07, 16:58)RCBodyslam Wrote: So everyone should just immediately move over to the latest iteration of Kodi and begin using it, bugs and glitches and all? Seems a bit arrogant.

Okay children, that's enough for now. Behave, or there will be no dessert for you tonight.
(2021-03-07, 02:23)oldtvwatcher Wrote: but also because my guess is the Kodi developers really don't care if older addons are broken and their developers are no longer around to fix them.

Python v2 simply went EOL recently. Kodi announced the Python v3 migration TWO years ago. I think most Kodi official add-ons have been migrated, while 3rd party add-ons is basically "not our problem".

It's the eternal balance between free spare time (yes, we are not paid employees in some company), enthusiasm, and the height of the pile of work ahead of you as a developer. It's just like the circle of life: things come and they go, add-ons as well as developers. FWIW, I'd say that Multi-Weather does a fine job as Yahoo Weather replacement.
  • 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Yahoo! Weather1