• 31(current)
Broken Yahoo! Weather
(2021-03-07, 17:02)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-03-07, 16:43)ohhwee Wrote: No developer or author owes you or anyone anything, be grateful you got what you got!
(2021-03-07, 16:58)RCBodyslam Wrote: So everyone should just immediately move over to the latest iteration of Kodi and begin using it, bugs and glitches and all? Seems a bit arrogant.

Okay children, that's enough for now. Behave, or there will be no dessert for you tonight.
I'll be good 👼
(2021-03-05, 23:38)ronie Wrote: there will not be any updates (at least not from me) for yahoo weather.
i have no plans to keep this addon, or any of my other python 2 / Kodi 18 addons alive.
python 2 is dead, therefor Kodi 18 is dead and it should no longer be used.

please use the Multi Weather addon with Kodi 19 instead.
"Kodi 18 is dead "

WhatHuh
Brilliant work, thanks for sharing pkscout, fixed up and working again

(2021-03-05, 18:34)pkscout Wrote:
(2021-03-05, 06:35)David Rad Wrote: Yahoo had posted several times that its free weather api will be discontinued, but that was postponed several times. Now it seems finally gone, though not quite.

It seems like they are obscuring the location of the json file containing weather data, just like YouTube is obscuring the location of their videos.

For example, the url https://www.yahoo.com/news/_tdnews/api/resource/WeatherService;woeids=[56023011] displays fine in my Chrome browser, but the usual method of getting the data with requests.get(url) produces a 403 error.

Is there a workaround, or should we finally switch to another weather provider?
There is a work around.  I saw the update to Multiweather for Kodi 19 come across this morning.  I applied the same fix to my local copy of Yahoo Weather on Kodi 18, and I have weather again.  So for Kodi 18, it's just a matter of waiting for the update to be done for Yahoo Weather.  If you don't want to wait and have some understanding of editing Python files, you can look at the changes for Multi-weather and apply them to Yahoo Weather.  Here are the changes:

https://github.com/xbmc/repo-scripts/pull/1903/files

The changes made to the file weather.py in Multiweather need to be done to defaulty.py in Yahoo Weather.
(2021-03-07, 17:18)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-03-07, 02:23)oldtvwatcher Wrote: but also because my guess is the Kodi developers really don't care if older addons are broken and their developers are no longer around to fix them.

Python v2 simply went EOL recently. Kodi announced the Python v3 migration TWO years ago. I think most Kodi official add-ons have been migrated, while 3rd party add-ons is basically "not our problem".

It's the eternal balance between free spare time (yes, we are not paid employees in some company), enthusiasm, and the height of the pile of work ahead of you as a developer. It's just like the circle of life: things come and they go, add-ons as well as developers. FWIW, I'd say that Multi-Weather does a fine job as Yahoo Weather replacement.
I understand your point and agree that at some point you had to drop support for Python v2, the only thing I hate is that it seems like the second you guys release a new version you abandon all support for the previous one and expect all your users to upgrade immediately.  A lot of other software packages will give you some time to upgrade and will support a version or two back (Ubuntu is an example).  I would not be so reluctant to upgrade if I had not been burned in the past OR if it were really easy to roll back to the previous version if you find you are having problems, but on Linux, unless you are a major Linux nerd it's very difficult if not impossible to roll back to an earlier software version if something goes amiss (this is a gripe I have about Linux software in general, not just Kodi)  And this version of Kodi is a pretty major change, after all.

Also I am not really faulting you for saying third party addons are not your problem, but I only use addons from the official Kodi repo, not from some dodgy third-party site.  Somehow I would expect those to get a bit more love but then again I definitely recognize the problem of there only being so many hours in a day and that you don't want to spend all of them hunched over a keyboard.  I think in some ways Kodi is a victim of its own success, it has gotten too big and tries to be too many things to too many people, but that's already been done so you really can't roll it back now because whatever you scaled back on would upset somebody.
(2021-03-08, 02:13)oldtvwatcher Wrote: A lot of other software packages will give you some time to upgrade and will support a version or two back (Ubuntu is an example).

Ubuntu has LTS versions with support of up to 5 years. The Ubuntu Team also has the backing of a few hundred developers (if not more) worldwide, as well as commercial service agreements for server solutions and a 500-time millionaire to cover the costs. How is Kodi gonna live up to that with a handful of volunteer developers receiving a couple of donations? Kodi isn't the easiest piece of software to begin with (from what I hear), so recruiting new developers is a challenge.

Also not all 3rd party add-ons are dodgy, it's just that the focus is typically put on those dodgy ones. Add-on subjects like home automation, weather listings or database cleaning are of course fine.
(2021-03-05, 06:35)David Rad Wrote: Yahoo had posted several times that its free weather api will be discontinued, but that was postponed several times. Now it seems finally gone, though not quite.

It seems like they are obscuring the location of the json file containing weather data, just like YouTube is obscuring the location of their videos.

For example, the url https://www.yahoo.com/news/_tdnews/api/resource/WeatherService;woeids=[56023011] displays fine in my Chrome browser, but the usual method of getting the data with requests.get(url) produces a 403 error.

There is a work around.  I saw the update to Multiweather for Kodi 19 come across this morning.  I applied the same fix to my local copy of Yahoo Weather on Kodi 18, and I have weather again.  So for Kodi 18, it's just a matter of waiting for the update to be done for Yahoo Weather.  If you don't want to wait and have some understanding of editing Python files, you can look at the changes for Multi-weather and apply them to Yahoo Weather.  Here are the changes:

The changes made to the file weather.py in Multiweather need to be done to defaulty.py in Yahoo Weather.
Looks like the dev will not be making the changes to Yahoo Weather for Kodi 18 :-(
I have no programming skills, I have compared the multiweather changes to the yahoo file but cannot see what I have to change.
Given the dev is not planning an update, would it be possible for you to make a copy of your locally modified Yahoo Weather default.py available for download?
(2021-03-08, 08:53)Jeffers24 Wrote:

Looks like the dev will not be making the changes to Yahoo Weather for Kodi 18 :-(
I have no programming skills, I have compared the multiweather changes to the yahoo file but cannot see what I have to change.
Given the dev is not planning an update, would it be possible for you to make a copy of your locally modified Yahoo Weather default.py available for download?
I'ts on page 30 by user zambu. Smile
(2021-03-08, 09:31)pallisvans Wrote:
(2021-03-08, 08:53)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2021-03-05, 18:34)pkscout Wrote: There is a work around.  I saw the update to Multiweather for Kodi 19 come across this morning.  I applied the same fix to my local copy of Yahoo Weather on Kodi 18, and I have weather again.  So for Kodi 18, it's just a matter of waiting for the update to be done for Yahoo Weather.  If you don't want to wait and have some understanding of editing Python files, you can look at the changes for Multi-weather and apply them to Yahoo Weather.  Here are the changes:

Thanks for highlighting what I missed  Blush

Thanks to zambu for posting edited file  Big Grin

After loading Kodi it displayed a message that said Yahoo had been disabled as it had been marked as broken in the repo.

Now I don't have Yahoo Weather installed and can't re-install it again as it's not listed when I select get more  Confused
(2021-03-06, 22:24)zambu Wrote:
(2021-03-06, 14:52)Sholander Wrote:
(2021-03-05, 18:34)pkscout Wrote: If you don't want to wait and have some understanding of editing Python files, you can look at the changes for Multi-weather and apply them to Yahoo Weather.  Here are the changes:

For us that are not savvy to edit Python files, can you upload somewhere your working "default.py" ? I'd very much appreciate your kindness Nod

there you have my file edit it.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/jesv2r

hope helpes
Thank you! Works great!
(2021-03-08, 09:55)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2021-03-08, 09:31)pallisvans Wrote:
(2021-03-08, 08:53)Jeffers24 Wrote: Looks like the dev will not be making the changes to Yahoo Weather for Kodi 18 :-(

After loading Kodi it displayed a message that said Yahoo had been disabled as it had been marked as broken in the repo.

Now I don't have Yahoo Weather installed and can't re-install it again as it's not listed when I select get more  Confused
https://mirrors.kodi.tv/addons/leia/weather.yahoo/
(2021-03-08, 12:07)freeze90201 Wrote:
(2021-03-06, 22:24)zambu Wrote:
(2021-03-06, 14:52)Sholander Wrote: For us that are not savvy to edit Python files, can you upload somewhere your working "default.py" ? I'd very much appreciate your kindness Nod

there you have my file edit it.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/jesv2r

hope helpes
Thank you! Works great!
I can't download the edited file to insert into the addon comes out as in the attached photo. Could someone help me by uploading the file again? Thank youImage
(2021-03-08, 12:19)Dolphine Wrote:
(2021-03-08, 09:55)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2021-03-08, 09:31)pallisvans Wrote: I'ts on page 30 by user zambu. Smile

https://mirrors.kodi.tv/addons/leia/weather.yahoo/

Thanks
doesn't work again
(2021-03-08, 16:15)otava5 Wrote: doesn't work again
I suspect that Yahoo Weather addon has auto updated.

What version is Yahoo Weather in your Kodi?
you are right 5.1.0
  • 31(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Yahoo! Weather1