Newbie with some questions
Hey guys and girls,

I have recently download xbmc for my desktop pc (Windows). Everything works as it should on my pc and I am loving the amount of things you can do on the program.

However, my friend who spoke about the program streams it to his Samsung TV. I am wondering how I do this? I have my TV connected on the same network as my pc via wired (ethernet).

I will watch shows and movies on my desk/monitor but I would much rather prefer it if I could sit on my sofa while watching.

If it matters, my PC is literally 6 feet from my TV.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Stanny
Turn on the UPnP server and your TV should see it.
Samsung TVs cannot browse the network, they need a DLNA server. Plex and Serviio are two that work well with the Samsung TV. Install one on your PC and configure it by adding your media folders.

I am not sure that the XBMC upnp server works well with Samsung TV's, but you could give it a try first.
Ah it's now found it. Thank you very much.

Another question... is there anyway I can watch Live TV? All I have on my Samsung is Video, Music and Photos...

(2013-07-24, 20:44)whitebelly Wrote: Samsung TVs cannot browse the network, they need a DLNA server. Plex and Serviio are two that work well with the Samsung TV. Install one on your PC and configure it by adding your media folders.

I am not sure that the XBMC upnp server works well with Samsung TV's, but you could give it a try first.

No, I am unable to browse through it with my TV if that is what you meant? So there is no way of me going on to add-ons such as 1channel or Navi X. I may as well continue to use Windows Media Center as that does the same thing on Samsung?

Is there anyway of browsing it through an xbox 360?
It's true that you can share media from XBMC to your TV over the network, but I don't think that's where XBMC really shines.

XBMC is at its most amazing when your PC is plugged straight into your TV via an HDMI cable, and using a remote control to run the whole thing. That's pretty much the definition of a HTPC (Home Theater PC), and XBMC makes for a great centerpiece for a HTPC. Since your computer is already sitting next to your TV, I'd suggest giving it a try. You shouldn't need much beyond a way to connect your PC to the TV (or to your receiver, depending on your home theater setup), probably an HDMI cable. Optionally, pick up a remote control for your computer. Pretty much any PC remote control ought to work.

Once you get used to having the power of XBMC and the convenience of a set top box, you won't want to give it up.
Ok, I will try and find a long enough HDMI at the store tomorrow.

Regarding videos, I have just downloaded a video which was a x264 file. I added the video on to xbmc and I can play it on the PC, when I go to select it on my TV it says "Not Supported File Format"...

Do I have to download a certain file for it to be able to work?
Yup - as mal2 said - the best answer is to move your PC closer to your TV and enjoy all that XBMC loveliness as nature intended :-)

Re: LiveTV - you need a tuner card/stick for your PC and a suitable backend application. You then have a fully-functional PVR.

Re: browsing - you don't browse the network as such, you browse the DLNA/UPnP server's database. XBMC scans all of your media and then publishes the library onto the network; your TV sees this and can request a file; XBMC then streams it over for display. My personal experience, however, is that TVs are really picky about file formats - bitrates, audio CODECs, even containers (although I haven't tried Samsung so I can't say what your TV will or won't support). XBMC will play virtually anything, and all you need is that HDMI cable...

EDIT

You may already have found a CODEC limitation on your TV: check the manual or on line to see if it supports H.264 (which is the format that x264 produces, so that's what the television needs to understand). It may also be a container issue - avi vs mp4 vs mkv, for example. As I said, TVs are picky, and tend to like things simple...
(2013-07-24, 21:10)Prof Yaffle Wrote: Yup - as mal2 said - the best answer is to move your PC closer to your TV and enjoy all that XBMC loveliness as nature intended :-)

Re: LiveTV - you need a tuner card/stick for your PC and a suitable backend application. You then have a fully-functional PVR.

Re: browsing - you don't browse the network as such, you browse the DLNA/UPnP server's database. XBMC scans all of your media and then publishes the library onto the network; your TV sees this and can request a file; XBMC then streams it over for display. My personal experience, however, is that TVs are really picky about file formats - bitrates, audio CODECs, even containers (although I haven't tried Samsung so I can't say what your TV will or won't support). XBMC will play virtually anything, and all you need is that HDMI cable...

EDIT

You may already have found a CODEC limitation on your TV: check the manual or on line to see if it supports H.264 (which is the format that x264 produces, so that's what the television needs to understand). It may also be a container issue - avi vs mp4 vs mkv, for example. As I said, TVs are picky, and tend to like things simple...

Ok, thanks for the help. I'm understanding the program more and more now. I have found this information regarding my tv:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=150642

It says it supports H.264 so it must be something to with the audio/bitrates
(2013-07-24, 21:06)Stanny Wrote: Ok, I will try and find a long enough HDMI at the store tomorrow.

Do be careful when looking at HDMI cables in person. They can still be way, way overpriced at brick and mortar stores compared to what you'd pay online. You said your PC was about 6 feet from your TV. You can probably use a 3 meter (10 foot) HDMI cable, and you shouldn't pay more than $15 for it. You can get a 10 foot HDMI cable from Amazon (as part of their AmazonBasics line) for $7.50 + shipping, or from Monoprice for $5.00 + shipping.

You can probably find even better prices if you look around online, but don't let someone sell you that cable for $30 or more. Sometimes much, much more. I see Monster Cable is still trying to sell their HDMI cables for $100+ on the Best Buy website, for instance.
(2013-07-24, 21:44)mal2 Wrote: HDMI cables for $100+

You mean oxygen-free, 24kt-gold, octarine-plated, rolled-in-pixie-dust, unicorn-hair-fibre, manufactured-by-leprechauns-by-the-light-of-the-full-moon doesn't really help a digital signal? Aw, m-a-a-a-n....
Not related to HDMI cables, per se, but is indicative of Monster Cable's overall hype of their overpriced products: http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/audio...cable-and/

Bottom line: Save some money and don't fall for their hype. Wink
Friends don't let friends buy monster cables.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie with some questions0