• 5(current)
HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review
(2014-01-21, 00:38)bearshare Wrote: what are you talking about of course we want to see the codec incorporated i have x265 material which is not playable in XBMC13.

(2014-01-20, 18:44)voochi Wrote:
(2014-01-20, 17:33)tutu Wrote: Any news regarding this? Would love to see HEVC as a playable codec

What news do you want? The encoder (x265) is still in the relatively early stages. It is not yet at the point where you would actually want to use it for the videos you watch on a daily basis. Until that point comes it's not particularly important to have HEVC playback in XBMC.

For now use VLC or MPC-HC if you want to test it out.

What content and where you getting it from? Or are you encoding it yourself?

Right now it's so early stages that the time to benefit of users just wouldn't even be worth it.

I can't wait til it's more finalized but right now it's so early. I can't WAIT for the storage benefits though. I thought I had so much free space left. All of a sudden I 'm down to 2.8 TB left and fast approaching 0. I do have an older 1.5 TB drive but I'm scared to use it. I can't wait til x265 is widespread but right now, it wouldn't play on most devices I have even except my HTPC.

https://www.google.com/search?q=HEVC+&oq...VC&tbm=nws

If you want news. I skimmed it, seems to be licensing news mostly Sad
+1 on storage, -1e6 on requiring massive CPU to decode. It will take a few years for hardware decoding to catch up. So say goodbye on arm/android.
(2014-01-21, 03:34)tential Wrote: I can't WAIT for the storage benefits though. I thought I had so much free space left. All of a sudden I 'm down to 2.8 TB left and fast approaching 0.

So do you propose to transcode all your old material to h265? That's the only way you are going to recover what you have used up!

Frankly, the idea is unappealing to me. I'd rather spend money on a new hard drive than futz around forever finding the best encoding parameters.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-01-21, 02:11)nickr Wrote: You will need to wait until ffmpeg supports it and then xbmc syncs a new version of ffmpeg. The latter will not happen for gotham.

It better happen sooner rather than later. I have a couple of hevc files already that I gave a friend who uses Plex and he said they play just fine there. If support for the format is going to be that slow, I might have to make the switch. I really don't want to because I've spent so much time in XBMC and love it, but if my library can shrink and give me more space and XBMC doesn't jump on board until v14 a year from now (or whenever it comes), I'll be long gone (and so will many others).
(2014-01-21, 04:01)boofa Wrote:
(2014-01-21, 02:11)nickr Wrote: You will need to wait until ffmpeg supports it and then xbmc syncs a new version of ffmpeg. The latter will not happen for gotham.

It better happen sooner rather than later.
Your comment is rude and demanding. You get a lot of crap comments from people who don't understand how open source software is developed, and xbmc's relationship with the ffmpeg code, but that takes the goddamn cake.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-01-21, 04:00)nickr Wrote:
(2014-01-21, 03:34)tential Wrote: I can't WAIT for the storage benefits though. I thought I had so much free space left. All of a sudden I 'm down to 2.8 TB left and fast approaching 0.

So do you propose to transcode all your old material to h265? That's the only way you are going to recover what you have used up!

Frankly, the idea is unappealing to me. I'd rather spend money on a new hard drive than futz around forever finding the best encoding parameters.

I don't think it's too hard. When x265 becomes widely used (so 2-5 years) think about how much processing power will have improved by then? Ok, now that I type that comment out and I think about it, yes intel hasn't made very big strides in processing power, but I'm hoping that will change. We're overdue for a 20-30% increase in processing power jump. If not on Broadwell maybe Skylake? I'm sure it'll come within 2-5 years. Also, my PC sits idle with a pretty decent processor (4770k). It isn't doing anything as it is, and 2-5 years, i'll be upgrading to another pretty decent processor that will probably sit idle a LOT of the time as well. Might as well use the power to convert my library.

Although hey, you're probably right, I'll probably just end up getting new hard drives. But even then, it still benefits me on the new content that I obtain that will be in x265 vs x264. I'm sure the first people to switch over to x265 will be release groups/torrenters who want to cut down on bandwidth costs (I just looked into a seedbox and it x265 would let you seed twice as much content as before).

If you think about it though, all of the key pieces for x265 are coming together.
4K TVs are starting to get popular and tons of people will buy them not realizing that they have no use for it and that they will see no image quality benefit since they sit far as hell away from the TV, or own a TV that isn't extremely massive.
NetFlix, is already trying to put content out in 4K, which is going to prompt people to purchase 4K TVs, even though I'm sure that 4K content Netflix is putting out is low bitrate and probably just as good or even worse than the 1080p higher bitrate stream.
Cable Providers want to catch up to NetFlix/internet providers, and it will cut down the bandwidth.

Mainly though everything has to do with BANDWIDTH. x265 allows people to save a lot of cash on bandwidth so I do think it'll come quicker than we expect it to.

It better happen sooner rather than later. I have a couple of hevc files already that I gave a friend who uses Plex and he said they play just fine there. If support for the format is going to be that slow, I might have to make the switch. I really don't want to because I've spent so much time in XBMC and love it, but if my library can shrink and give me more space and XBMC doesn't jump on board until v14 a year from now (or whenever it comes), I'll be long gone (and so will many others).

When x265 is widespread, it'll be on XBMC no need to get so anxious. I dunno how you have so many HEVC files already. Even doing a torrent search on popular sites revealed under 25 files that are HEVC so you must be encoding them yourself. It's simple really, just wait. There will be SO MANY improvements to HEVC, that you'll end up having to reencode everything all over again.

Reading the comments though on some of the torrents out there, it does seem to be quite impressive. Either way though, no one is forcing you to use XBMC. If you don't like it, you can kindly gtfo and use Plex if you like it so much. I'd give plex a try, but personally, I haven't gotten far enough into XBMC to start fiddling with a new program. There is still so much on XBMC I don't even know how to do yet. Every couple weeks/months I find something new that makes my experience that much better.
(2014-01-21, 04:14)nickr Wrote:

It better happen sooner rather than later.
Your comment is rude and demanding. You get a lot of crap comments from people who don't understand how open source software is developed, and xbmc's relationship with the ffmpeg code, but that takes the goddamn cake.

Read it as you wish, though it was meant simply as an observation from a user/fan, not a "demand" as you say. I do understand how open source works, at least from a high level view. I also understand that ffmpeg added x265 decoding this past Oct before the feature freeze (https://launchpad.net/ffmpeg/+announcement/12062).

While perhaps it isn't fully baked, the fact remains that alternative (albeit inferior imo) options are already using this capability. Whether or not it is coming from ffmpeg is irrelevant, they have it. I understand it won't be in the initial release of Gotham, but I certainly hope to see it in a point release if at all possible. If it truly isn't possible to do until v14, I hope someone will devise a way to inject an updated ffmpeg so I don't have to start all over with something else.
Hunger Games IMAX edition in x265 10gigs.

works in VLC
"Read it as you wish"?? How else does one read "It better happen sooner rather than later" ?

I assume you are referring to the XBMC feature freeze? The ffmpeg resync happens a long time before feature freeze. Like it or not, approve of the way XBMC devs handle the code or don't approve, that is up to you, but that is the way it is.

(2014-01-21, 07:35)bearshare Wrote: Hunger Games IMAX edition in x265 10gigs.

works in VLC
LOL Can you suggest a smaller sample?
naah that the smallest i could find no sample.
(2014-01-21, 00:38)bearshare Wrote: what are you talking about of course we want to see the codec incorporated i have x265 material which is not playable in XBMC13.

You're a dummy because I test new builds of x265 regularly. It's coming along nicely but still in the relatively early phases...stability wise, encoding efficiency wise... it is not at the stage where you should use it for day-to-day video encoding and playback. Thus you don't need it in your HTPC.
dude how old are you ?

what dev/tester uses phrases/sentences that of an under aged child "You're a dummy because I test new builds"

all i said was how can you make a statement that its not needed now when there are releases in x265 and am able to play it with the new version of vlc ?

(2014-01-21, 13:19)voochi Wrote:

You're a dummy because I test new builds of x265 regularly. It's coming along nicely but still in the relatively early phases...stability wise, encoding efficiency wise... it is not at the stage where you should use it for day-to-day video encoding and playback. Thus you don't need it in your HTPC.
H.265 will be be made mainstream faster than H.264 was.

http://revision3.com/tekzillabites/x265-...ce-encoder http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYy5nD25PPc

From a marketing guy but still a nice summery I think.
since ffmpeg already has a h265 decoder, xbmc can support it after the next ffmpeg bump. Thats _after_ gotham.
I'd suggest having an early ffmpeg bump (to get h.265) post-gotham, with plans for a second bump nearer to beta. The earlier XBMC gets it the earlier issues will be found and (hopefully) fixed.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review0