XBMCbuntu Default Monitor + Audio Setup
Hi All,

So I took the advice of someone here and installed xbmcbuntu on a flash drive - overall I'm really impressed and am now using a system whose hard drive is fried so I thought it was going to the recycle center Smile

That being said I am facing two issues:

1. It seems like monitor settings are not being stored and the default is pretty bad (mirrored) - it's a laptop which is going to an external - only need/want the external on but every time I have to boot into the desktop mode and set it up. Upon reboot it goes back to mirrored

2. Audio - I'm using a usb audio card for 5.1 setup. Again the system defaults to internal sound and every time I have to go into sound settings to change to the usb card - furthermore I have to lower the sub settings every time.

--with the audio one it's even more interesting as when I go into settings as regular user I don't even see most settings (including display and sound) only when I use sudo can I access these settings.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks all
you did _install_ to the USB, right? not create a live USB stick?

If yes, more hardware info needed and a debug log
I did install to the flash - not running a live boot

Sure - what would you like a debug of and what hardware info?

This is the system: http://www.cnet.com/laptops/toshiba-sate...27256.html

For debug - what will be useful? Just booting up and getting the log, running something in particular?
ad 1) depends if you still want to use the laptop screen.
if not, create an xorg.conf that only uses the TV as default screen.
Otherwise you could try an xvba build, which has much better multi monitor handling then mainline xbmc.

ad 2) sounds like a permissions issue in ~/.xbmc
make sure that your user has full control. Xbmc should never be run as root.
I'll look into the xorg.conf option - hate to have to go back to those nightmare days Wink

For sound I have found some interesting findings - I'll start by saying this is not a permissions issue and it's not being run by root.

So for sound my findings:
If I log directly into xbmcbuntu (desktop) with USB sound card plugged in - I get sound out of my 5.1 using the USB sound card (which is what I want)

If instead I boot into xbmc directly I get internal sound even when USB sound card is plugged in - this is crappy because I'm forced to log out, log into xbmcbuntu, then set the output to 5.1 sound through the USB card, then go into xbmc from there - if I log out and log back into XBMC (vs xbmcbuntu) same problem occurs.

So my logs for XBMC with internal vs. 5.1 sound ( again only achieved by logging into xbmcbuntu, setting the sound correctly, then going to Sound & Video -> XBMC)

Internal: http://pastebin.com/znytQrYh
5.1: http://pastebin.com/s7K0fBQC

Furthermore to get 5.1 sound I DO have to use sudo because for some reason:

gnome-control-center

gives VERY different options than

sudo gnome-control-center

which should NOT be the case. I only get 2 options with gnome-control-center with regular user while getting all options (20 or so) if I run sudo....

gnome-control-center is by far the easiest way to set output to USB or even HDMI - but again, this can't be a permissions problem because when I boot directly into xbmcbuntu sound works as expected

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu Default Monitor + Audio Setup0