Req XBMC as "Play to device"
Is there a way to have XBMC as a playback device for playing videofiles that are on remote devices in the network? I mean similiar to how the chrome addon "play to xbmc" works. You can browse youtube on a remote laptop for example, press play to xbmc, and xbmc immediately starts playing the youtube link. It can do this for a lot of similar sites I believe, but not for local data which is what I'm looking for.

It seems it's possible to have XBMC function as an UPnP client (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=UPnP/Client), which seems to be what I'm looking for. Set it up as a "play to" device so it can receive streams from local network devices. But after googling for hours I still don't know how I would go about this. I don't want XBMC to just receive UPnP content, thus be a client. I want it to be the target of other devices. Accept the incoming stream, and immediately display it in XBMC with no input in XBMC needed.

This feature would be awesome if it were implented.
I think this is a feature for Gotham.
XBMC can do this even now. It's been able to be a UPnP/DLNA "receiver" for a few versions. No interaction with XBMC required, control can be done completely via the remote device, etc. Just like AirPlay, but a lot more open. A lot of smartphone and PC media software already works with XBMC using this method. UPnP sends both local content and even URLs.
Ahh, that's good to hear. My mistake then.

I just figured out that my XBMC UPnP settngs were off ... the weird thing is though that I can't turn them on in the settings menu. They are visible, but pressing OK to change them does nothing. I thought it might be the skin, so I tried switching the skin back to confluence to turn them on, but to no avail. Only forcing them on in the guisettings.xml worked. The settings menu shows that they are on now too. It is possible to switch them off in the settings menu, but not on again. Is this a bug or is it just preventing me from turning them on because I'm maybe missing ubuntu prequirements or something?

All windows media UPnP servers I tried (KooRaRoo, serviioo, Orb, PlayOn) won't detect XBMC. At best they will show the HTPC's IP address but there will be a red symbol of some sorts, and using XBMC as play to device is impossible.

Sorry to make this a help thread ...
on which OS are you running XBMC?
I'm running the latest XVBA XBMC (gotham) version on Ubuntu 12.04.
Could you post a log trying to turn upnp off and on?
Sorry for the late response

Here's a log where I open XBMC, go to the settings menu, try to enable each UPnP option 2 times, and quit XBMC. I can only enable "look for remote UPnP devices".

http://pastebin.com/AEzfAMU2
13:37:44 T:140100120246144 DEBUG: LIRC: Update - NEW at 42363:000000037ff07bdd 00 KEY_OK mceusb (KEY_OK)
13:37:44 T:140100120246144 DEBUG: OnKey: 11 (0x0b) pressed, action is Select
13:37:44 T:140100120246144 NOTICE: starting upnp server
13:37:44 T:140100120246144 NOTICE: stopping upnp server

Bump
Bump
Bump
has me stumped

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC as "Play to device"0