Bug Live TV Audio corrupted
Hello, all!

I run two XBMCbuntu installations on identical hardware, but using different types of tuners:
  • htpc-01 uses an HDHomeRun tuner (the old, dual-tuner, ATSC/QAM variety) over the network
  • htpc-02 uses an Hauppauge HVR-950Q USB tuner. It can't use the HDHR because it's on Wi-Fi (long story, can't run a cable...big bummer)
So the story is like this: htpc-01 works flawlessly at all levels. TV audio is fine. Image is fine. Etc.

The other box (htpc-02, with the USB tuner) works perfect for everything except for TV Audio. The video feed is fine, but the audio feed is not. The "info" pane shows that XBMC is properly identifying the audio stream as AC3. Tuning onto those same channel feeds directly through TVHeadend (bypassing XBMC) works perfectly. However, when tuning in through XBMC, the audio stream sounds like static and the channels take a long time to tune in (presumably b/c XBMC is attempting to identify the audio stream's format), but I've heard this "structured static" before: when incorrectly en/de-coding audio streams. Thus, this leads me to think that at some point, XBMC is not "passing-through" the raw AC3 stream to the TV (which is what should be happening.

Pass-through is configured properly, and seems to work fine (as best as I can tell). In particular, if I disable AC3-capable receiver, TV audio works fine. This is obvious because XBMC is then re-encoding the audio to PCM.

So...the question is: is this a known issue? If so, what is the fix? I'd like to avoid disabling pass-through since it would affect my use of the rest of my media (which is already AC3 and much of it is 5.1).

Please note: this same physical box and tuner and TV and cabling and whatnot were working perfectly earlier with OpenELEC 3.0.5 (I never got to test with 3.0.6) - perfect audio, video, etc. At this point, this is the only outstanding, significant issue I have left with my XBMCbuntu deployment.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
Correction: ALL AC3 pass-through seems to be corrupted.

I'm sure this was me just getting confused earlier, playing a movie that didn't use AC3 and assuming it did (I generally transcode all my stuff to H.264 and AC3).

But I've now confirmed that pass-through over HDMI is not working at all on that second machine (htpc-02). The TV's are different for each machine, so maybe this is a factor.

Cheers!
PLEASE DISREGARD THIS THREAD. AN UPDATED, MORE ACCURATE VERSION EXISTS AT http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=170363

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live TV Audio corrupted0