Linux How-To: Use ANY IR Remote In The House to Control XBMC
I am probably missing something VERY basic here. But when I enter the command
Code:
irrecord -d /dev/lirc0 /home/XBMC/myremote.txt
I get the message
irrecord: could not open file /home/XBMC/myremote.txt
irrecord: No such file or directory

I have already set ir-keytable -p lirc and I do have lirc0 lised in the /dev directory

I would love a little guidance.
XBMC Gotham via OpenElec 5.0.8
ASRock H87M-ITX
I3-4330 Haswell CPU
64GB SSD ADATA
4GB Team Elite DDR3
MI-008 Case
unRAID 5disks 18TB of awesome
If you are using xbmcbuntu I think the user is xbmc not XBMC. If you are using kodibuntu it should be kodi.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I am actually using OpenELEC. Just to throw a monkey wrench in things.

This may actually be resolved. Once I realized that remote.txt is just a holder for the data from the remote programming and the contents are copiied into Lirc.conf, I simply told it to save to a different location. That seems to have worked, although programming isn't complete. I will ammend this as necessary once i am done - The damn remote battery died on me during recording!
ASRock H87M-ITX
I3-4330 Haswell CPU
64GB SSD ADATA
4GB Team Elite DDR3
MI-008 Case
Murphy's law with those damned batteries. I find this the best openelec remote control resource http://nucblog.net/2014/01/mapping-the-b...e-control/
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
So the general concept worked, although it appears that not all of my remote buttons are compatible with irrecord. I was receiving an error saying the input was too long. I will have to re-program my remote to emulate something else. Who knew.
ASRock H87M-ITX
I3-4330 Haswell CPU
64GB SSD ADATA
4GB Team Elite DDR3
MI-008 Case
What remote? If it is a harmony try setting it as a MCE media remote and it should work ootb.
I'm pulling my hair out over this... I have an Intel NUC with built in IR receiver. I have a Xbox 360 Media Remote I use. It worked 100% under OpenELEC. I changed to Kodibuntu recently.

I was originally more or less able to get it running with 80% of the buttons working using someone's preconfigured script for XBMCbuntu which I modified slightly with the updated Kodi paths and so on. But I wanted more functionality and I have caused the remote to not respond at all now. At some point I ran dpkg-reconfigure lirc, which is probably where my problems started. I may have somehow deactivated some functionality of the receiver, etc... ?

I was able to confirm that the remote is showing up under /dev as lirc0 and was able to follow all the key mapping instructions and so on above. But after rebooting with all the new config files as above, the remote is still not functioning. Nothing will show under irw.

The hardware.conf file was not mentioned above. I edited the name to reflect the new remote name in Lirc.conf. Does this look right?

Quote:# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
#
#Chosen Remote Control
REMOTE=xboxmediaremote
REMOTE_MODULES=
REMOTE_DRIVER=
REMOTE_DEVICE=/dev/lirc0
REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF=
REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS=--release

#Chosen IR Transmitter
TRANSMITTER=None
TRANSMITTER_MODULES=
TRANSMITTER_DRIVER=
TRANSMITTER_DEVICE=
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF=
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=

#Enable lircd
START_LIRCD=true

#Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
#START_LIRCMD=false

#Try to load appropriate kernel modules
LOAD_MODULES=true

# Default configuration files for your hardware if any
LIRCMD_CONF=

#Forcing noninteractive reconfiguration
#If lirc is to be reconfigured by an external application
#that doesn't have a debconf frontend available, the noninteractive
#frontend can be invoked and set to parse REMOTE and TRANSMITTER
#It will then populate all other variables without any user input
#If you would like to configure lirc via standard methods, be sure
#to leave this set to false
FORCE_NONINTERACTIVE_RECONFIGURATION=false
START_LIRCMD=

Looking at my bus input devices, I did find this. Not sure if this goes into the hardware.conf somewhere? Just a guess. I'm still learning Linux.
Quote:I: Bus=0019 Vendor=1283 Product=0000 Version=0000
N: Name="ITE8713 CIR transceiver"
P: Phys=
S: Sysfs=/devices/virtual/rc/rc0/input8
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=kbd event5
B: PROP=0
B: EV=100013
B: KEY=fff 0 200108fc32e 237605100000000 0 700158000 419200004001 8e968000000000 10000000
B: MSC=10

Would doing apt-remove lirc and a reinstall be worthwhile or would that break more things? Ideas, ideas? Something in the init files? Thanks guys!

I will add... I am able to power up the NUC with the remote power button, but I lose all functionality after that.
Run the reconfigure command again and set it back to how it was.
Have you tried loading the nuvoton-cir module?
(2015-04-29, 04:03)FishOil Wrote: Have you tried loading the nuvoton-cir module?

Not yet... but I did just find this: Intel_NUC (wiki) Maybe I can cut and paste that bit into the hardware.conf and see what happens. I'll try a few things later and see what happens.
Hmmm... I tried the reconfigure command, but it just wiped out the config files again. I put back my custom xbox remote files.

My files:
hardware.conf http://pastebin.com/2Rajv1kj
lirc.conf http://pastebin.com/pwtV02Ns
Lircmap.xml http://pastebin.com/tvFA975k
remote.xml http://pastebin.com/FmHiWBH6

There is also a Keymap.xml file in //userdata. Not sure if I should be concerned with that at all? http://pastebin.com/94SDqq0X

Fishoil... How should I go about that? The thing is, it WAS working until I broke something. The only instructions I can find for the nuvoton-cir module involve updating the kernel. I'm showing3.13.0-49-generic, but the remote was working. The instructions on the NUC wiki I posted involved upgrading to 3.15. I'm a little weary of upgrading the kernel if it was working previously. (Haswell N2820 NUC)

There is lots of conflicting information online. If there isn't a quick fix, it would probably save me time by using XBMCbackup on my install and hope my tweaks are retained when I do a fresh install of Kodibuntu.
Hmmm... Here's what I tried. It didn't work.

Tried: dmesg | grep -i Nuvoton
Nothing.

Tried this.
Quote:Create a new file /etc/rc2.d/S18fix-cir using your favorite editor with this content:

#! /bin/sh
#
# Fix for Consumer IR device, see https://communities.intel.com/thread/46259
modprobe -r nuvoton-cir
echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources
modprobe nuvoton-cir

Make the new file executable using:
$ chmod +x /etc/rc2.d/S18fix-cir
Rebooted. Nothing. No irw response from anything but my keyboard (on an IR dongle). Nothing in dmesg.

I did NOT update the kernel as was in the NUC wiki. I'm assuming the functionality was updated in the current kernel since it worked previously and I can use the power on button.

Did also find this. Maybe the issue?
Quote:kodi@kodi-desktop:~$ cat etc/init.d/irexec
cat: etc/init.d/irexec: No such file or directory

I'm about to reinstall again and hope for the best unless you have a better idea.
I ended up starting fresh. Was just a lot of hassle. Fishoil, I was able to modify your script for my old style Xbox 360 Media Remote (no numeric keys) and so far it seems to work well so far, but I need to restore or reinstall all my skins, apps, media etc.

Here is the modified script for KodiBuntu if anyone wants to use it. (remember... this is for the old style non-numerical key Media Remote) It may need further tweaking once I start actually using it. http://pastebin.com/LCLM3GeC
(2015-04-30, 08:43)ChimChim Wrote: I ended up starting fresh. Was just a lot of hassle. Fishoil, I was able to modify your script for my old style Xbox 360 Media Remote (no numeric keys) and so far it seems to work well so far, but I need to restore or reinstall all my skins, apps, media etc.

Here is the modified script for KodiBuntu if anyone wants to use it. (remember... this is for the old style non-numerical key Media Remote) It may need further tweaking once I start actually using it. http://pastebin.com/LCLM3GeC

FYI

Seeing that its a custom Lirc configuration you dont need to prefix the button names with "KEY_".

You can use any name you want.
Good to know for next time. I used the default names from Irrecord. Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How-To: Use ANY IR Remote In The House to Control XBMC4