Needing help with video quality
Hey all, i'm just putting together my first htpc. I love xbmc but the picture quality has been poor for me (dull/grey, NOT choppy/glitchy). when playing the exact same file (720p bluray rip) in vlc, the picture has much deeper blacks and more vivid color. i've made all the adjustments on my TV already. why would the picture be so different from one player to another? i'd post the screenshots but it would take me forever to figure out how. here's my setup:
50" panasonic HDTV (TC-P50UT50)
Dell optiplex 755, E8500 cpu, 4G RAM
ATI RADEON HD 2400 PRO with DVI to HDMI cable to TV
Windows 7 SP!, XBMC 12.2 - Aeon Nox

let me know of any specs i left out (probably something obvious)
any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Getting screen shots is pretty easy just make sure your default path is set (settings>system>debug>screenshot folder) print screen. But I don't think a screen shot would help, my settings and display would be different than your own and the issue you are having could well be hidden in a static image.. Some of the differences between various players can be attributed to the default setttings in one or the other or if the gfx card settings are involved in pre-processing the signal and of course if hardware or software decoding is used. Check to see if your gfx card settings are massaging the signal on one set-up and not the other. Worst case, is that you can use VLC as an external viewer playing within the XBMC environment, but I suggest a little tweaking will have your player up to speed.
UPDATE:
ok, so i've tried playing the same videos in both vlc and wmp and even streaming from netflix - all ok. only when i play videos in xbmc is the picture bad. it looks like it's whitewashed or something, like the brightness is way up. i don't understand. which settings in xbmc could possibly be causing this? thanks, for any help and advice.
OK GOT IT. i didn't realize there are settings to adjust on the playback screen itself (brightness was turned way up). i deserve a collective hard kick in the ass for that one. sorry for wasting your time folks.
I hope you've discovered the 'set as default for all videos' too Smile Welcome to the forums..
One thing u can do if u are not 100% satisfied with XBMC video quality, is give a try to the DSplayer (manteined by fans), where u can use the filters u just prefer (except some, like madVR). I think this is something i miss a lot of the oficial build, but it has been already very discussed.
Anyway, u can peek here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=154534
but, i just gotta warn u, it has a certain learning curve, cos u have to do the configurations mainly via XML files.
HTPC
Silverstone Grandia GD05 - Intel i5 3570k -Asus H61M-G Micro-ATX - Unidad Blu-ray
MSI GTX970 4GB GDDR5 - 8 GB RAM DDR3 - AVR Denon X3400H Atmos - LG  OLED 55C7V

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Needing help with video quality0