Share xbmc windows to apple tv?
Hey all, sorry, I think I asked this a while back but now I'm finally getting the chance to buy an apple tv.
I have xbmc frodo running on my media pc in bedroom. Is it possible for me to setup apple tv in living room and share the windows xbmc either via wireless or Ethernet?. And by doing this, does this essentially give me access to the same setup, movies tv etc etc I have running on the windows xbmc. any help would be appreciated.
You will be wanting to install xbmc onyour appletv
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yeah I get that. As I don't have an apple tv just now I just tried upnp from windows xbmc, to my iPad using upnp sharing, it works great But rather than having to just go into "movies, tv shows " etc, I have to keep going into file mode, is that skin specific? I'd like the apple tv ( when I get it) to look the same as the xbmc I have installed on my windows machine.
Check out this page: syncing and sharing (wiki).

I would use UPnP and then use a skin that supports custom home buttons to replace the normal "movies" and "tv shows" buttons to the UPnP locations.

Future versions of XBMC will handle this more gracefully. One of our devs is working on a really cool solution that will allow a UPnP share to merge with the local library.
Sounds brilliant Ned. Looking forward to trying that out. Do you know by any chance the best skin to use for apple tv that allow me to do what you suggested, custom buttons. Thanks pal
Hi all, again Smile
Could anyone tell me if this would do the trick? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANDROID-TV-BOX...1155151375

I don't want all that 1channel rubbish. All I want it to be able to do is the ability to upnp share my main xbmc library from my windows machine. Can this thing run 1080p content smoothly?

Thanks
Some people like it, some people don't like it. Check out the hardware subforum here and you'll see a lot of people talk about the MX.
Thanks Ned.

Hi Ned, Can I be bold and ask what you would recommend to buy for what i want to achieve. There are so many Android boxes out there my head is spinning. Under £100 would be great.
Honestly, it's hard to say. If you want an ARM device, for your price range, the best device that I've personally used is the OUYA. There might be better ones, but this is one I would feel safe buying. And that's not to say there won't be issues, because there isn't a stable release of XBMC on OUYA yet. It's really nice, though, even just for XBMC.

Pivos XIOS (and if you feel risky, the clones/sister boxes) is still a solid option that I would rank above an ATV2. The Pivos guys can't give us any hints, but I would guess that they have new hardware in the pipeline. The XIOS price is higher for what you get, especially in the EU, but support is really solid, and I it's still a fair box.

Those Minix boxes with Rockchip chips don't look bad at all either, and I hear the 1080 issue is fixed or almost fixed.

I would not buy any stick Android STB. The wifi will let you down in most of these devices, so get something that has an ethernet port.

I hear fantastic things about ARM boxes that have Freescale processors, and I think those are going to start to kick everyone's ass in the near future, simply due to better software support.

I would avoid the entire Gbox line. Some perform greatly, but even those seem to have cheaper-than-most parts inside, and die often.

There's a few "ATV" boxes that are totally unrelated to the Apple TV, and some people have said those work great, but I don't really know enough about them to say one way or another.

There's also more boxes and options that I probably haven't been watching lately.

If I personally had to buy now, I'd say OUYA. Also look at the Mini-X and even the XIOS if it goes on sale.
Thanks alot Ned. Ive noticed the Mini-X here --- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DroidTV-X1-RC1...1144439519

Im guessing this is the correct one. Like the fact its already loaded with XBMC
... or even this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221203020478?s...1438.l2648

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Share xbmc windows to apple tv?0