Remote connection
I have Frodo XBMC on a laptop and also on a home PC which is on all the time. I'm going out of town for 8 weeks and would like to access movies on the home PC. Can this be done? I see a lot of options for http ftp etc. but I'm not familiar with them. Read the file sharing info in Wiki but didnt know what it meant. Is there a tutorial that will show me how to set up a way to watch movies while Im away? THanks
You better have a very good internet connection at home (upload speed) and at wherever you are staying.

Better still, buy a decent portable hard drive and take your media on the road.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yes I better. Thanks But that has nothing to do with what I've asked.
You'll need to open your firewall to whatever protocol you want to use. It's pretty insecure though - webdav is usually said to be the best way to go over the internet.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Setting up a VPN is a good option. Also note that SMB won't work over most ISPs.
VPN is a great way to do it, although it does introduce a little overhead.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote connection0