Switching Hard drives - Letter Drives
Recently got a new hard drive and transferring media but have a question about letter drive for the hdd.

Currently my source is the E: drive would I just have to change the letter drive of the new hdd to the previous one so everything is the same expect just a new hdd ?

I don't want to choice all artwork stuff again if it scans new content. I also understand that letter drive E is not good because its too common.

Thank you
Windows is famous for allocating drive letters sequentially. So what is drive E: now could be something else if you booted with a USB drive in the port and that get's letter E: this plays havoc with XBMC paths and sources. Best to manually assign a drive letter to any removable media (or drives that will be pulled and swapped later), and starting at the other end of the alphabet is good practice. In windows desktop>computer>RMB menu>manage>storage>disk management>select drive>RMB change drive letter & paths

Before you change anything, in XBMC goto settings>videos>library>export video library and export as separate files, this will copy all your covers and background to the local folders in which you have your movie. After this is complete... a re-scan will be very quick, picking up all the metadata locally.

Change your windows drive letters...
Run XBMC
Clean the library
Re-Set your sources for the new drive letters and scrapers/type
Scrape will be fairly quick

There are other workarounds for this effort, but most are a little more effort. Such as exporting your library to a single file, editing the path, then import this back into the system, and set your sources to match and never deal with the musical chairs windows plays with the drive designation.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Switching Hard drives - Letter Drives0