• 3(current)
A call for skinners to help Confluence
Is there any particular reason why this expert mode was implemented in Gotham ?

Wouldn't be easier to choose wich level to use in system settings ?

Settings --> System --> Expert Mode --> On / OFF
there are 4 levels
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-08-14, 14:41)butchabay Wrote: Is there any particular reason why this expert mode was implemented in Gotham ?

That's maybe the best way. Add a spin control to system settings where users can change the level and display a small info somewhere which level is currently active. I for one would change the level to Expert and then never touch it again. There's no need to have a button around everywhere.
(2013-08-14, 14:48)`Black Wrote:
(2013-08-14, 14:41)butchabay Wrote: Is there any particular reason why this expert mode was implemented in Gotham ?

That's maybe the best way. Add a spin control to system settings where users can change the level and display a small info somewhere which level is currently active. I for one would change the level to Expert and then never touch it again. There's no need to have a button around everywhere.

From a "noob's" point of view like me,

i would be confused with all kinds of buttons, if there is a setting in a menu i dont know about, i wount go into it. but if there are buttons, i would try to press that button,

so better not confuse the end user to much with bunntons

so better do like the settings menu Settings --> System --> Expert Mode --> On / OFF

would be nice to not confuse the end user like me :-)

I agree with that. usually, people set the setting that are comfortable with and leave it there. Maybe just a pointer that tells users that they can change the level in Settings -> System.
Agree with Balinus
(2013-08-14, 16:44)Balinus Wrote:

I agree with that. usually, people set the setting that are comfortable with and leave it there. Maybe just a pointer that tells users that they can change the level in Settings -> System.

No.

That's no better than having it in the sidebar like it already is.

(2013-08-14, 14:25)`Black Wrote: Here is another possibility... the description could also change and explain the levels if the level control is selected.

I really like this one, but it seems a bit confusing to have it in-line with the other options. It's a setting, but a setting for settings. What about doing it just like that, but in its own box just below the main settings box? It would give the impression that it's more "global", rather than "level" being something related to that actual window. It would also give more room for the settings descriptions, which we'll hopefully expand upon for certain more complicated settings.
Wouldn't look good at all with an extra box below. Also the space is reserved for now playing info and home/back controls if mouse is enabled. I would rather remove 1 or 2 rows from the settings grouplist if you need more space for the description.

Maybe do this then:

(2013-08-15, 12:01)`Black Wrote: Maybe do this then:

I really like that!
(2013-08-15, 12:01)`Black Wrote: Wouldn't look good at all with an extra box below. Also the space is reserved for now playing info and home/back controls if mouse is enabled. I would rather remove 1 or 2 rows from the settings grouplist if you need more space for the description.

Maybe do this then:

Just need to be sure that this fits in all the different setting sections, especially the ones with a lot of categories. Having a scrollbar there would be very ugly Wink
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
It works in all categories. If there should be 9 or even 10 sections in one category, the height of the sections buttons could be reduced further so that it still fits. I already reduced the height slightly so that there is still a noticeable gap between sections in the live tv category (8 sections) and level/reset buttons.

If you want to test it -> SettingsCategory.xml
Just gave it a try and it looks very nice IMO. I vote for this approach. It also contains an improvement to the description area which is very much needed as well.

Not sure if it's worth the trouble and how to do it, but do we want to different colouring for additional non-standard settings? It might be easy for the settings color but probably not so much for the level indicator/button with the different colours as visible in `Black's screenshot.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
I'm going to suggest a small tweak
so that the user knows "Reset settings" is limited to just the section, not the entire set of settings (or the individual categories)
I did like the different colours for Expert level settings. it might indicate to the user what setting NOT to touch Smile
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A call for skinners to help Confluence4