• 8(current)
A call for skinners to help Confluence
In regards to the blade at the side I think it should be button activated.
Rather than scrolling across and it flies out, it should highlight like the scroll bar does. If you press enter on the blade, the blade opens, if not and continue scrolling it just wraps around. The worst thing by far in any skin is the blades flying out.
I want the blade option available but it drives my kids mental and guests don't have a clue what to do.

I don't actually use Confluence. I would like to see this in all skins.
I just don't understand the need of a "level indicator" that's all.
Common modern UI design would not do something like this and if you compare something like this to other programs out there no one has a level indicator.
If the meaning behind this initiative is to make the "common" user to better understand and use xbmc and clean up the user interface, a level indicator is just another clutter on the screen that the user wouldn't have any understanding of and would probably just bring more confusion to the table.
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
(2013-09-06, 10:37)The-Boxhead Wrote: I just don't understand the need of a "level indicator" that's all.
Common modern UI design would not do something like this and if you compare something like this to other programs out there no one has a level indicator.
If the meaning behind this initiative is to make the "common" user to better understand and use xbmc and clean up the user interface, a level indicator is just another clutter on the screen that the user wouldn't have any understanding of and would probably just bring more confusion to the table.

If you're not going to bother to read the thread then please don't bother commenting.

EDIT: see below
(2013-09-06, 10:45)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2013-09-06, 10:37)The-Boxhead Wrote: I just don't understand the need of a "level indicator" that's all.

If you're not going to bother to read the thread then please don't bother commenting.

I must apologize. I totally misread your comment last night.
Trying to stir up more activity here.

A lot of people really liked this idea: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1484914
http://cl.ly/code/0T1b0D2v190T

However, the problem was that you can't get to the "reset these settings" button without changing the currently open window for those settings. Would it be possible to navigate to that bottom area by pressing right? Similar to how you get to the "Okay" button on some windows. I hesitate to do something like that, but it is consistent with how Confluence works in some screens, and would allow us to use what is currently the best solution (IMHO) that has been presented.

Merge window closes in three days. Skinners, you are my only hope.
(2013-09-06, 23:30)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2013-09-06, 10:45)Ned Scott Wrote:

I must apologize. I totally misread your comment last night.

No problem Ned Smile
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
Given the main issue with the preferred design:

is with the reset, rather than the level button, as the reset applies only to the current sub-category (and trying to get to it may involve changing categories) just move the reset to under the normal settings?

i.e, in awesome developer art...

Code:
Cat1    |  Setting1
Cat2    |  Setting2
Cat3    |  Setting3
        |  Setting4
        |  ----------
        |  Description
        |
        |  ----------
Level   |  Reset this page to defaults

I'd colour the reset and level appropriately as is suggested.

Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2013-09-25, 00:34)jmarshall Wrote: i.e, in awesome developer art...
That makes a lot of sense and combines some of the best proposals so far.

I would like to see the advanced and expert settings in different colors as well. Or possibly add a small icon in front that signifies their level.
(2013-09-25, 00:34)jmarshall Wrote: i.e, in awesome developer art...

Code:
Cat1    |  Setting1
Cat2    |  Setting2
Cat3    |  Setting3
        |  Setting4
        |  ----------
        |  Description
        |
        |  ----------
Level   |  Reset this page to defaults

I'd colour the reset and level appropriately as is suggested.

Jonathan

ok, coded as such.

result:

Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
imo that reset just doesn't belong there. it takes up valuable space reserved for the description or the settings list is shrunk down.

I'd rather see it at the end of the settings list (so you need to scroll down to reach it). This requires some code to add it to the end of the list or editing the settings.xml and adding it there dozens of times.
Reset settings should not be visible all the time.
(as discussed with jmarshall and montellese at devcon)
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Hmm, that is a good point.

"Reset above settings to default."
(2013-10-25, 15:56)Kib Wrote: Hmm, that is a good point.

"Reset above settings to default."

jep. sounds good to me
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
just gimme a ping on irc when the bike-shedding is over and i'll code whatever the consensus is. ;-)
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
I agree, if possible have the reset at the bottom of the settings list.

I'd also like that displayed level to be the control for changing levels via a spinner, instead of having the spinner hidden off in the slide out menu, but might be on my own with that.
I can add the necessary code to add the "Reset" button at the end of the settings list. Not sure how easy it will be but I'm sure I can get it to work. Any ideas on how to pass the level (i.e. whether a setting control should be highlighted or not) down to the skin?
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A call for skinners to help Confluence4