NAS Media Server
Hi guys,

I am thinking of building a Media Server or NAS for all my files since currently they are simply on a Windows Desktop being shared. I was wondering what you are all using and what would be better, I see that FreeNAS seems pretty good but probably more expensive for hardware compared to a media server like Ubuntu.

Just wanted to know what you guys were using and if your happy with what you have?

Do you use RAID in your setup for backup or any other suggestions?
I started off with a buffalo 1T NAS and outgrew it, I moved onto a synology 2 bay and outgrew that eventually I built a unRaid box that supports multiple drives so I can expand in the future.
FreeNAS, unRaid and Synology all have RAID and I would recommend using it to protect your data in case of a drive failure what RAID to use is a complex question but you can google that and find out for yourself. I really like Synology and unRaid due to the ability to run plugins like CP, SB and SAB as well as MySQL and uTorrent loacally so it saves me from having to run other systems for applications I use.

I was happy with Buffalo but it didnt have much as far as plugins besides a torrent client and I was happy with synology besides the 2 bay factor so it depends on your needs but I would suggest to plan for the future as much as possible...
יונתן בן-חיים
I have a Synology 210+ at home and it works fine with XBMC. All my data is stored there nothing on the HTPC itself to keep it clean and quick. I configured eveyrhing in Raid0 because I preferred speed and storage over safety. I make a backup of my most important files (business and photo's) regulary on a portable HD. If the drives in the NAS fail I will lose my movies , series and music but that's the risk I'm willing to take. This is a personal choice.
Ok i got to ask:

Any one use flexraid and unraid? Can a user who has used each chime in to give any details such as pros and cons from each? Im torn between flexraid due to havi g to install a windows os and unraid which u do not need to have a secondary os in order for it to run...

Opinions??

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NAS Media Server0