Win "Error: Unable to create GUI. Exiting"
Hello all,

A few weeks ago I downloaded and installed XBMC and couldn't imagine my life without it.

Everything was working perfectly until one day I decided to routinely update my computer's drivers. A simple task that has not caused any problems before.

On August 7, I updated to these drivers:
Intel® Processor Graphics 9.18.10.3165
Intel® SDK for OpenCL
Intel® WiDi 4.2.19.0
Intel PROSet/Wireless Software 15.8.0

I sat down to watch my latest TV shows, but when I opened up XBMC I was faced with this error: "Error: Unable to create GUI. Exiting"" with a full black screen.

I've tried reinstalling XBMC countless times, but every time I receive the same message.

It seems to me that the only possible cause of this error message has something to do with updating my graphics driver. However, I am no expert and there could be a different explanation.

I've spent countless hours Googling this error message and still have not been able to find a solution. I greatly appreciate any help or advice you can give me because I REALLY want to get XBMC up and running again.

FYI, I am running Windows 8 (64bit) and I was using the most up-to-date version of XBMC.

If you need any other specs from me, let me know.

Thanks!
I think you've answered your own question:

Quote:Everything was working perfectly until one day I decided to routinely update my computer's drivers. A simple task that has not caused any problems before.

If you can roll back or re-install that would be the ticket, or just hold your breath for another update that might be the fix.
How can I check what graphics driver was installed before the update?
Nevermind, I figured it out. I just reinstalled the previous graphics driver (v 9.17.10.2932) over the recent update (v 9.18.10.3165) and XBMC is back up and running! Looks like XBMC is going to have to update Frodo to be more compatible with current graphics drivers.

Thanks!
On occasion a graphic driver build will be sent before it's time.... usually an update from a tidal wave of complaints brings and update of the driver. Frodo is pretty stable and doubt it needs to be more compatible with bad drivers, send the dart where it belongs.
Hello I have install XBMC on Windows Server 2008 R2 and every time i try to start XBMC the message appears "Error: Unable to create GUI. Exiting"" the graphic driver of the Radeon HD 5450 is up to date .....i try also the beta driver and reinstalling of XBMC and deactivation of the on board graphic chip....what should i do ?
>Medina

You've kinda hijacked this thread, please start a new thread and re-post, you'll get more attention to your issue. I'd suggest checking out this wiki http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_for_Win...ecific_FAQ for some tips

XBMC needs a 3D capable GPU graphics hardware controller for all rendering. The required 3D GPU chips are common today in most modern computers, and even some set-top boxes. XBMC runs well on what (by Intel ATOM standards) are relatively underpowered OpenGL 1.3 (with GLSL support), OpenGL ES 2.0 or Direct3D (DirectX) 9.0 capable systems that are IA-32/x86, x86-64, or ARM CPU based. You might want to investigate that driver again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Error: Unable to create GUI. Exiting"0