Mouse Wheel Map Change - Solutions
I'm trying to change the map wheel. I hate the wheel speeding through videos. I rather it control volume. Simple and gives me an easy way with my particular setup to handle that instead of brushing it and skipping around the videos.

Anyhow; I changed the mouse.xml file and copied it to:

%AppData%Roaming\XBMC\userdata\keymaps

also. But it still doesn't work.It still insists on skipping ahead and back. In my particular case, I'm disabled and this function actually breaks the software for me, ironically. Might not seem like much but the way I twitch, no matter which device I use, the wheel or the slider is always moving so if I touch it, it's all over the place. Volume isn't so bad and I can crank it up at the end (and it also gives me a nice access to change it with ease without a keyboard handy). As I said, my particular situation.

This should have been a simple fix but it's not sticking. What did I screwup/miss?

mouse.xml
Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <mouse>
      <leftclick>leftclick</leftclick>
      <middleclick>middleclick</middleclick>
      <rightclick>rightclick</rightclick>
      <doubleclick>doubleclick</doubleclick>
      <wheeldown>wheeldown</wheeldown>
      <wheelup>wheelup</wheelup>
      <mousedrag>mousedrag</mousedrag>
      <mousemove>mousemove</mousemove>
    </mouse>
  </global>
  <SlideShow>
    <mouse>
      <leftclick>Pause</leftclick>
      <rightclick>PreviousMenu</rightclick>
      <wheelup>VolumeUp</wheelup>
      <wheeldown>VolumeDown</wheeldown>
    </mouse>
  </SlideShow>
</keymap>

Post-EDIT: The solution I have come up with is:

For Video Only:
Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <mouse>
    </mouse>
  </global>
  <FullscreenVideo>
    <mouse>
    </mouse>
  </FullscreenVideo>
  <VideoOSD>
    <mouse>
    </mouse>
  </VideoOSD>
  <SlideShow>
    <mouse>
      <wheelup>PreviousPicture</wheelup>
      <wheeldown>NextPicture</wheeldown>
    </mouse>
  </SlideShow>
</keymap>

Post-EDIT 2: The solution I have come up with is:

For video, music and even the home screen control. Edit to whatever function you need for yourself. Enjoy!
Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <mouse>
    </mouse>
  </global>
  <!-- Full Screen Video Controls -->
  <FullscreenVideo>
    <mouse>
    </mouse>
  </FullscreenVideo>
  <!-- Video On-Screen-Display Controls -->
  <VideoOSD>
    <mouse>
    </mouse>
  </VideoOSD>
  <!-- Music Visualization Controls -->
  <Visualisation>
    <mouse>
    </mouse>
  </Visualisation>
  <!-- Music On-Screen-Display Controls -->
  <MusicOSD>
    <mouse>
    </mouse>
  </MusicOSD>
  <!-- Home On-Screen-Display Controls (Master List for movies/music/etc) -->
  <Home>
    <mouse>
    </mouse>
  </Home>
  <!-- Picture Slideshow Controls -->
  <SlideShow>
    <mouse>
    </mouse>
  </SlideShow>
</keymap>

I've tested each part of this code independently (added the block, tested it, added the next, etc. to make sure it was the right part for the right piece doing what I expected.)

Put it in: %appdata%\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\keymaps\mouse.xml (For Windows 7)

For even more options & sections: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Keyboard.xml

(good lord I just hate Wiki, makes me cringe and want to strike an "unacceptable reference" to the paper... Old habits I guess...)
So you only want to use the mouse wheel to control volume while viewing a slideshow of photos?
(2013-08-19, 20:17)artrafael Wrote: So you only want to use the mouse wheel to control volume while viewing a slideshow of photos?

No, did I screw something up like that?

I want to use the mouse wheel to change the volume always... using it to progress through a slideshow of photos might be ok, Though not important. For me it's to keep it from jumping around with my twitchy condition while playing movies. I have a 36TB storage array full of my personal private (and yes legal) movies and finally moved to XBMC to front-end it all which I like very much, accept for this one item I can't seem to find a way to change. I think this change should have done it but it didn't...

Sorry about the delay, I didn't have subscriptions turned on...
You mapped your mouse wheel for Volume Up/Down in the <Slideshow> section. You need to move those statements to the <global> section if you want the mouse wheel to always behave this way, rather than just for slideshows.
Ahh. Told ya I probably screwed up somewhere...

Trying that now... (pausing)

Ahh, that worked. But then it killed menu useages by removing the mouseup/down basic functions from global. So is there a <MOVIE> or <VIDEO> or both option? Is there a FAQ for these configuration XMLs? somewhere with all the possible options? During video/music playback, I want the mouse wheel to control volume. When looking at a list of files, it would be nice to be able to slide through them (i flick my hand over it but still, it works in that case when I want to go down fast and long but not a ton (my library would take forever to wheel through)).

But if I have to pick one or the other, volume wins for sure. Thanks again.
Place those Volume definitions in the <FullscreenVideo> section instead.
(2013-08-21, 18:53)artrafael Wrote: Place those Volume definitions in the <FullscreenVideo> section instead.

Ahhh, soooooo close...

There's a gotcha. If the menu pops up (the buttons at the bottom) it reverts back to forward and backward instead of volume... Odd... Otherwise it works. If the buttons are hidden it's perfect but then I twitch, the buttons show up, which is fine, accept the movie jumps forward or backwards 8 minutes or something from the mouse movement. (don't see how you guys use that at all, it's so over sensitive.. maybe just my mouse type or something. For volume it's actually really slow, go figure.)

So, is there a <FullscreenVideoWithButtons> option? (that's why I asked for a listing or FAQ of the options if there was one. I didn't see anything when searching. If you have a full how-to on all of this... ;-)

Thanks again.

EDIT: Ohh, my new file...

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <mouse>
    </mouse>
  </global>
  <SlideShow>
    <mouse>
    </mouse>
  </SlideShow>
  <FullscreenVideo>
    <mouse>
    </mouse>
  </FullscreenVideo>
</keymap>

i took out the next just to be double-sure as I rarely use pictures anyhow and will worry about putting them in when I get videos working right.
You can try adding
Code:
<mousemove>noop</mousemove>
to the <FullscreenVideo> section to prevent mouse movement from displaying the OSD. However, this means you'll have to use a keyboard or remote control to control video playback (pause, stop, fast forward, etc.).
That's a bit like taking the foot off to get the thorn out...It almost seems like the OSD is buging out the FullScreen commands in this case. Something I guess few might have looked at before. I could turn on debugging if necessary and collect a bunch of stuff if they want but it's pretty self explanatory what it's doing. I do use the OSD actually so losing it would be pretty hard to stop a video... Impossible actually without the key board I think.

These guys can fix this I'm sure. Probably some tiny oversight. I guess for now I have to suffer in global... Or is there a way to make mouse in the file menus also slide up and down and volume every other time? work the problem the other way?
I just played with this and you can actually use the left mouse button to display the OSD (even with the noop) and you can then click the desired navigation button.

I don't see any of this as an oversight. You are trying to do something non-standard with the wheel, so this may have some consequences that you don't like. But, this is moot since the left click will give you the OSD on-demand and the "noop" will prevent it from displaying inadvertently when you jiggle the mouse while using the wheel.
I don't agree with ya on that one. Non-standard to how they coded it perhaps, but only on their on limited foresight of that particular piece at that time. I don't mean to seem rude (I can actually, I'm also Autistic, sorry about that), but for example; every other software for video I use, Cyberlink PowerDVD, Corel WinDVD, MCP-HC, Even Media Player, all have adjustments for what you use the mouse wheel for and volume is an option. (all the other stuff I did use before this over the years). Also none of them have 8 minute jumps as the default.(and that's a single wheel click). If I 'scroll it', I can jump a good hour.I don't see how that's useful at all. Granted I use my hand but I still just roll the wheel. I would think someone with their finger can do much better (meaning scroll even stronger, whole movie) then myself.

I'm liking XBMC generally, but see lots of improvements that could be made. Like this one for example. There should just be an option for what you want the wheel to do for each item. Make it simple. Or not make the overlay break the setup you do by file. Inturn that would be a bug. But the function I am trying to perform is not a non-standard function by a long shot. A very simple one.

There's a difference being a free product vs a purchased product sure, but don't blame the messenger because there's a minor loophole in the overlay code (I'm a software engineer myself). It's an easy fix most likely and if ya'll just never used it, they just never noticed it. But looking to use it for the disabled crowd like myself, it would be darn useful to tweak if they get the time...

Thanks again though, the right click or global will just will have to do for the time being. Now if I can figure out how to get single-movie sets out of the darn lists.. ugg... Cluttered up lists...
You do realize that when you bring up the OSD, it is in focus rather than FullscreenVideo? Thus, the FullscreenVideo definitions for the wheel (Volume Up/Down) no longer apply; rather, the default wheel definitions for the OSD (scroll video playback forward/backward) do apply. When you dismiss the OSD, then the wheel is, again, defined for the FullscreenVideo actions. You encountered an unexpected consequence where, using the wheel to control the volume, your mouse jiggled and that brought up the OSD (working as designed). I gave you a way to avoid having mouse movement display the OSD while watching a video. You then said disabling the mouse from displaying the OSD is unacceptable. So I then told you the left mouse button can be used to display the OSD when needed.

You came here with a simple request and, after a couple of iterations, I provided you with what I think is a solution that fulfills that request completely (make the mouse wheel control the volume while watching a video). So, I don't understand why you then embarked on this rant.
The OSD could be more intelligent of also being aware of what it is covering and assuming other functions at the same time. Obviously it knows it's still over video as it changes to an over-video skip ahead/behind function and not something else (move up/down file list, etc.) But since those functions for the video player were changed, it should adapt those features. OR - Where are the options to change the OSD's video replay features...?

Still no reason to jump all over me. I'm not ranting, just trying to make it better for me and other disabled users. In-fact I often praised the work so far. Especially for a free product.

Also, still never answered my question of where this information was to be located. I've searched and searched and you seemed to pull it out of thin air (experience probably, great and all but...). Where is the documentation/helpfiles/howtos/faqs so I can tweak a lot more of these without making post after posts for all of them? This was just the first of many... Being a cripple SUCKS trust me. Especially with what I have and going downhill. This was one of the bigger items but... It's hard, even for a fellow software engineer to jump into this without any documentation and tweak what they need for their disability...
(2013-08-21, 22:19)IamSGC Wrote: Still no reason to jump all over me.
How did I jump all over you? I just expressed my surprise at your sudden multi-paragraph responses to the simple solutions I provided you after each bump in the road you'd encountered trying to map the wheel to your liking. Everything was going along fine until post #11: You had questions, I had answers... rinse and repeat. Not sure what set you off at that point, especially since I had just given you the solution (post #10) to the last obstacle to making it work.
Quote:Also, still never answered my question of where this information was to be located.
Sorry, but that is malarky. Your original definitions were misplaced, so I told you where to correctly place them based on input from you regarding what you wanted to do. And each subsequent time you wanted to tweak that, I gave you the answer and told you where to place the statements.
Quote:Where is the documentation/helpfiles/howtos/faqs so I can tweak a lot more of these without making post after posts for all of them?
See the wiki (wiki). Link is at the top of each forum page. For keyboard/remote/mouse key mappings, see this wiki article in particular: keyboard.xml (wiki)

Since the original issue of this thread has been resolved as far as I'm concerned, I'm outta here.
(2013-08-21, 22:57)artrafael Wrote:
Quote:Still no reason to jump all over me.
How did I jump all over you? I just expressed my surprise at your sudden multi-paragraph responses to the simple solutions I provided you after each bump in the road you'd encountered trying to map the wheel to your liking. Everything was going along fine until post #11: You had questions, I had answers... rinse and repeat. Not sure what set you off at that point, especially since I had just given you the solution (post #10) to the last obstacle to making it work.
Accusing someone of ranting when asking for assistance or clarification is pretty much jumping. And I'm sorry if my long responses are too much to read. The one thing I can do is type. So if I understand you correctly, if I try to be very distinct, clear and precise in my explanations, that's an issue... Sorry if that's a problem... Actually no I'm not. People are too short today...

Quote:Also, still never answered my question of where this information was to be located.
Sorry, but that is malarky. Your original definitions were misplaced, so I told you where to correctly place them based on input from you regarding what you wanted to do. And each subsequent time you wanted to tweak that, I gave you the answer and told you where to place the statements.

You misunderstood. I apparently wasn't clear enough. I was looking for the answer you gave to the NEXT question... And I never look at wiki's I look for documentation within the programs, within the websites for the programs, etc. Not on public wiki's.. That would have been the last place I would have thought to look. Too easy for anyone to change the information there. Unsafe. But if that's what they use then great. Now that you mention it I see a Wiki link on the main page but that's not what I think of when I see that horrible word...(I used to help teach some college courses and if you reference Wiki on a paper, you won't pass our classes for example.). But I do not see it referenced in the forums stickies though I didn't go through many. But as a former teacher, wiki is a word I avoid by nature. Sorry that one is my own fault. Still I asked and that's what I was looking for.

Quote:Where is the documentation/helpfiles/howtos/faqs so I can tweak a lot more of these without making post after posts for all of them?
See the wiki (wiki). Link is at the top of each forum page. For keyboard/remote/mouse key mappings, see this wiki article in particular: keyboard.xml (wiki)

Since the original issue of this thread has been resolved as far as I'm concerned, I'm outta here.

After 30 seconds in there, the answers to the real problem are solved... videoosd... Take the same stuff from FullscreenVideo and put it in VideoOSD also and it works beautifully. That wasn't very hard and it would have been a simple answer instead of all the non-standard starting conversation. (that you started by the way...) I wasn't trying to do anything non-standard obviously. Even the devs had already put it into the code. Nothing hard to fix. I just had to find it and that's why I asked...

So the solution is:
Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <mouse>
    </mouse>
  </global>
  <FullscreenVideo>
    <mouse>
    </mouse>
  </FullscreenVideo>
  <VideoOSD>
    <mouse>
    </mouse>
  </VideoOSD>
  <SlideShow>
    <mouse>
    </mouse>
  </SlideShow>
</keymap>

Put it in: %appdata%\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\keymaps\mouse.xml (At least for Windows 7)

I'll update the main post here now...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mouse Wheel Map Change - Solutions0