Ion2 5.1 spdif win7
I cannot seem to get windows 7 to allow 5.1 passthru on optical........ I have an old receiver that does not use hdmi, want at least 5.1. In win all it shows is 2 ch. Updated drivers etc cannot seem to get 5.1 anywhere.
anyoneHuh? or just time for new receiver?
2ch uncompressed sound = 5.1 compressed (ac3, DTS etc) with optical. Not sure if windows will display optical as 2 or 5.1 channel. Do you get surround sound if you play a file with ac3 or DTS? There are test files you can get online.
Win only shows 2 channel no matter what I try. 5.1 thru optical has been around for like 10 years, win 7 doesn't support? seems pretty messed up.
I think one of my Revos still has windows installed. I'll see what it supports on my system. DTS and AC3 sure work on linux (mythtv and xbmc both).

S/PDIF supports:

2 Channel LPCM (ie uncompressed)
5.1 channels compressed into DTS or AC3.

Of course drivers may be your issue. Linux has them built in, windows may need a download.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-08-26, 07:08)timallen2k Wrote: Win only shows 2 channel no matter what I try. 5.1 thru optical has been around for like 10 years, win 7 doesn't support? seems pretty messed up.

Windows only reports the number of LPCM channels a device supports so 2 channels for SPDIF is entirely correct, you'll still get 5.1 for encoded formats for such as DD & DTS.
Yes in that case what the amp reports it is getting will be more reliable than what winders is reporting.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ion2 5.1 spdif win70