Error "Unable to create GUI. Exiting"
I did a fresh install of Windows 7 SP1 64bit today on an older lenovo laptop with Core Duo P8600 2.40 GHz processor with 4 GB RAM and a Mobility Radeon 3400 Graphics card.

Wit a XBMC 12.2 install I get the error "Unable to create GUI. Exiting". I have looked a bit around. The only advice I see is to install the latest Graphics driver. I do have the latest driver for my card installed (Catalyst 09.7) and it still does not work. Direct3D Version is 8.14.10.0791.

Any ideas?
The log is here and the stacktrace here.

Any help is appreciated.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Supported_hardware

Usually this is a sign that your graphics card is not working well with XBMC, note from the wiki: ATI Radeon R420 (X800) or newer supported, ATI Radeon R700 (HD 4000) or newer recommended. which seems to put your gfx right at the edge... and would need to support DirectX version 9.0c.
So in short, I can forget it? I can try to install DirectX 9.0c, but I hnestly doubt it will work.

Thanks for the answer.

[EDIT:]
OK, AMD claims the Mobility Radeon 3400 can do DirectX 10.1: http://www.amd.com/us/products/notebook/...specs.aspx

I have some hope left. Will try installig that (although, I am a bit at a loss here Win 7 should support DX 11 by default, I guess I'll have to dig a bit)
I just ran dxdiag and I seem to have directx 11 installed. So that is not the problem... Too bad.
What kind of Windows user has XBMC been installed in? Are you running XBMC it as an administrator? if not right click on icon and select "Run as administrator"
I should mention that I have an old machine, single core Barton chip running XP on a ATI 3650 card and it ran XBMC Dharma (a few versions back) when I went to Eden I couldn't get it to launch, it wasn't fast enough for me anyway So I didn't bother with it. Recently I installed Kubuntu on a shared drive, and threw XBMC frodo on it and it ran perfectly.... but slow. I know that doesn't help you much, but you might want to consider a linux flavour.
jjd-uk: I ran it both as an admin and as a normal user, (my daughter is going to use it in the end). I'll give it a last try with run as administrator, but I don't have much hope.

PatK: I could try to run Dharma then? Linux is not really an option, the machine will not be an HTPC.

BTW, WMC runs ok... but I hate it :-)
Dharma could indeed work but it's unsupported.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Thanks for the heads-up. Will try Dharma tonight.
Dharma didn't work either. This time it says:
CApplication::Create() failed - check log file and that it is writable

oh well...
Delete the xbmc.log files and try again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Error "Unable to create GUI. Exiting"0