Solved Windows/Linux connecting to MYSQL
Hi everybody,

I was trying to set up a few XBMC clients to share the same library using MYSQL but I ran into an issue. I installed MYSQL in a Linux box with no problems. I created the relevant "advancedsettings.xml" file, put it in my User Data folder in XBMC on my Linux Laptop and it worked like a charm. I updated the library from my laptop and was able to see the new DBs and tables that got created in MYSQL (I connected to MSQL from the command line to confirm it).

I then copied the "advancedsettings.xml" file and put it a Windows box but it doesn't connect to MYSQL. I confirmed that I was able to ping the server, I turned off Windows firewall and don't have any other firewall or antivirus software installed and still it doesn't connect to the MYSQL server. I even dropped the DBs from the server and got the same results. The Linux box still connects with no problems and creates the DBs again if I have dropped them but the Windows box won't connect.

Is there anything I'm missing? Is there an issue with connecting both Windows and Linux boxes to the same MYSQL?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Have you put the advancedsettings.xml file into the correct folder on the Windows machine? There are a couple of "appdata" folders which contain XBMC folders - you might have the wrong one.

Go to Start -> Run and type the following:

%appdata%\XBMC\appdata

and click on OK, and that should take you directly to the correct folder.

If the advancedsettings.xml file is in the right place, then paste the contents of the file here (starring out any passwords)
I'm not at home right now so I can't follow your steps yet (will do as soon as I get there after work) but I remember I put it in "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\User Data". I guess in Windows it needs to be in \appdata while in Linux it goes in /User Data. Am I right?
Yup, you've definitely got it in the wrong folder Smile

Once you've put it in the folder as above, it should connect.
Awesome! I'll do that as soon as I'm home and I'll report back here how it went.
Just a brief update here to report that this was indeed my problem; however, I didn't have an appdata folder inside my XBMC folder so I did %appdata%\XBMC\userdata and it worked liek a charm :-D

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows/Linux connecting to MYSQL0