Solved Client can't update library after sharing library with MySQL
(I didn't put this on the Linux subforum because it deals with multiple different systems on a network. I also found one or two previous threads discussing similar issues, but without any fix for my problem.)

I have a Linux computer I'm using as a media server for several XBMC clients (using NFS shares). I had previously set up MySQL to use a shared library, and everything was working fine. However, I recently had to replace the boot drive on the server, and took the opportunity to clean up the system with a clean install of everything. Before doing so, I was able to export the library (with the separate files option) so that I would be able to import it after replacing the drive.

However, after installing MySQL (following the guide on the wiki, just as I had done previously), my clients -- in particular my Ouya, which is my main client -- can't update the library. I installed XBMC on the server and was able to have it create the tables and import the library, after which the clients were able to access the library but still not update it. But because I don't want to have to run XBMC on the server every time I want to update the library and also to reduce the chance of incompatible versions causing problems with the database, I have since dropped the databases.

I have checked the priviledges for the xbmc user ("GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'xbmc';"), and have made sure the database is available on the network. I've checked to make sure the advanced_settings.xml file contains the correct address for the server and correct username and password for the database. And I can access the database with the xbmc user remotely using a MySQL client on my laptop. But I still can't get my XBMC clients to update the database.

Help, please!
Have you added a valid sources.xml to the clients??
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
I added the sources through XBMC, browsing to the NFS shares on the server. Wouldn't that be the same as manually adding the sources.xml file?
Should be, check the debug log (wiki) for errors
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
Okay, I have no idea what I just did, but it seems fixed!

Here's the debug log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=54129

It looks like the relevant bit starts at 17:43:02: "ERROR: Unable to open database: MyMusic32 [1129](Host '192.168.1.65' is blocked because of many connection errors; unblock with 'mysqladmin flush-hosts')"

I ran 'mysqladmin -u root -p flush-hosts' on the server, restarted XBMC on the client, removed the video source and re-added it, and... still no luck. So I uploaded a new debug log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=54131

Same error, so I ran the command again, restarted MySQL, ran the command a third time just to be safe. Restarted XBMC on the client, and still no luck. So I uploaded yet another debug log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=54134

But wait! This time it's a different error! Starting at 17:56:51: "ERROR: Unable to open database: MyVideos75 [1049](Unknown database 'MyVideos75')"

So I removed and re-added the video source yet again, and BINGO! It works! I don't know why, and normally that bothers me, but at this point I don't care.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Client can't update library after sharing library with MySQL1