• 2(current)
CuBox-i a new possibility?
The entry-level i1 model uses the single-core i.MX6 Solo with a GC880 GPU and 512MB of DDR3 RAM. Just what I need.
(2013-09-05, 04:13)Lake Camelot Wrote: I wondered about the speed on transfers from a NAS. Would the cheaper ones be a problem with that? It would be a nice option if that is no problem.

100mbps LAN should be more than enough to stream content from your NAS.
Also, it says, that the 10/100/1000mbps chip in the larger models cannot handle more than 5xx something mbps due to chip limits.
It looks very nice indeed, I am just very concerned about the heat problem with these SoC's

If you read Stephans blog;
http://stephan-rafin.net/blog/
The sticks run already way to hot, so how is cooling be done with these things?
1) Why are these so cheap?
2) I presume you just put Openelec on a USB to get it on the box?
(2013-09-05, 11:02)smallclone Wrote: 1) Why are these so cheap?
2) I presume you just put Openelec on a USB to get it on the box?

Keep in mind that the Solo and Dual lite have a GC800 instead of a GC2000 and might not be up to the task of running XBMC.
(2013-09-05, 08:54)j1nx Wrote: It looks very nice indeed, I am just very concerned about the heat problem with these SoC's

I would hope inside the square cube, the bottom is board and the top is empty space. One would hope that empty space contains a heat sink.
The Website says it supports 3d (or at least the HDMI does) I wonder how well that would work?? probably would need one of the more powerful ones if at all.
(2013-09-05, 08:54)j1nx Wrote: It looks very nice indeed, I am just very concerned about the heat problem with these SoC's

I worried about that too, but rabeeh who is from Solid-Run wrote on page one of this thread he feels it will be okay and he will be posting some findings.

Martin
(2013-09-06, 03:52)poplap Wrote: The Website says it supports 3d (or at least the HDMI does) I wonder how well that would work?? probably would need one of the more powerful ones if at all.

VPU supports it in 720p
(2013-09-06, 03:52)poplap Wrote: The Website says it supports 3d (or at least the HDMI does) I wonder how well that would work?? probably would need one of the more powerful ones if at all.

My guess: HDMI 1.4 + VPU which can theoretically do it == Putting it at the specs page.
Reading Stephan's blog : http://stephan-rafin.net/blog/

He has posted XBMC builds for the US$99 Wandboard Dual which is based on the iMX6 Dualite and has "Vivante GC 880 + Vivante GC 320", so that suggests (as rabeeh also suggested) that XBMC may well be fine on the lower spec Cubox-i?

The Cubox-i looks really interesting. Similar specs to the Utilite stuff, in a very different form factor. With SATA and GigE they look like they could be nice front-end and back-ends for TV Headend + XBMC or possibly a MythTV back-end? Be really neat to have a little Cubox-i handling DVB-S/T reception and recording, streaming to Cubox-is connected to your TVs for Live/Recorded TV viewing as well as movies. (Wonder if the on-board CPUs have enough power, or on board acceleration, for decryption. That with a card reader and card would be a nice option rather than having to use DVB-S receivers with CAMs)
I have just preordered two of the i2ultras as xbmc hubs for my parents. Can't wait to play with them.
Curious, why didn't you go with the CuBox-i4Pro for 2 more cores?

I've been seriously considering a CuBox for a family member. My only hesitation is maintenance. If there there was an OpenElec distribution for it then I would be sold.
Financial really as I was ordering two. All they will be doing is running xbmc (hopefully openelec - reading the cubox forums sounds positive) and playing media from an external usb drive. I was also assured that even the lowest model would play 1080p
Quick noob question - will this allow HD Audio passthrough if running openelec or XBMCbuntu on it..?

D.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CuBox-i a new possibility?5