OSX, MySQL Performance "fix"
Thought I would post this as it might help someone else. I recently moved my MySQL database from my windows machine to a Mac Mini (Intel Core 2 Duo [P8700], 4GB RAM) which has about double the horsepower of my outdated windows machine. I was getting horrible performance and spent most of today troubleshooting. I'm a database DEV (some days) and since I was seeing performance problems on all machines I figured it was network or a DB problem. I've been analyzing all of the queries (wow does XBMC use a lot of views) and was getting performance hiccups all day. I tweaked/added some new indexes but didn't really see any major performance boosts (just minor ones). Ok, long story short, turns out it was the screen saver on the Mac. Whenever it was turn on, and while it was running, the MySQL performance went to hell. I disabled it and I've been rock solid for the last hour. Anyway...thought I'd post in case this helps someone. I had blinders on and thought this issue was WAY more technical LOL. Ah well, not sure why the screen savers causes the issue, nor do I care. Problem solved for me Wink
I don't use MySQL (yet), but thanks for posting that. I'm just trying to understand. What do you mean by horrible performance? Like, you're browsing through your library and it takes a long time to catch up? So the Mac mini is like the host, and you're using some other machine to browse or view video or whatever? I guess accessing the database is not one of those things that normally would stop the screensaver from coming on. Interesting.
LibreELEC 10.0.4 * ViMediaManager or TinyMediaManager | Raspberry pi 4b
Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard
Yep, video library browsing was insanely slow, but not always. When I ran the queries manually against the MySql DB sometimes that came back in around 2 seconds, others times the same query could take 45+ seconds. My video library isn't very big compared to most people so I thought the 2 seconds query time was slow but at least acceptable. After I figured out the screen saver thing, the slowest the query has run is 0.8 seconds. It's usually around 0.5s.
My setup...mac mini is the DB server and I have a raspberry pi XBMC, and an ATV2 XBMC. The two xbmc machines connect to the mac mini for all DB operations.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OSX, MySQL Performance "fix"1