"file system" share in file mode
One thing that always bugged me was that even in "file mode" I have to add a source/share even for local HDDs, USB HDDs and other situations where I only do onetime lookups and never will use that specific source/share again. So instead of having to always add a source/share for this and delete it again I came up with the idea of a "browse file system" share which is always present. This special share would then trigger the same VFS structure that's shown when one browses for the folder while adding a new share. What do you guys think?
lol Smile I'm planning to code just that.

I was thinking about implementing a "global://" or something VFS, which would basically be the content of the "add source" dialog + the existing sources...
"Video-Files" would get there, rather than "sources://"
+1000
be careful here. there is potential to disable certain "security" checks in stuff such as jsonrpc (refuse to read a file that isn't in a source). with this meta source, a file would always originate from a source and would be allowed.
good point
I realize we have 2 notions: "share" and "source".

Shares are basically anything we can reach, while sources are the association of a share and a scrapper.
The proper way seem to be the creation of a "shares://" VFS...
they are the same. just a partially-done rename (used to be called shares, was renamed sources at some point).
(2013-09-09, 16:38)spiff Wrote: they are the same. just a partially-done rename (used to be called shares, was renamed sources at some point).
Confusing as hell Wink
What I call "share", besides local drives, net protocol et al, is the content of "mediasources.xml"
that's called a network location Smile ie. what you add if you do add source -> browse -> new network location.
(2013-09-09, 15:56)Koying Wrote: I realize we have 2 notions: "share" and "source".

Shares are basically anything we can reach, while sources are the association of a share and a scrapper.
The proper way seem to be the creation of a "shares://" VFS...

I don't suppose we could axe the whole sources.xml thing and just use the video/music/etc DBs for sources/shares? It always seemed odd to me that it's so easy to get in a situation where you can remove a share, but the source that gets scraped/updated can remain. Users wonder how certain folders still get scanned for library updates, even though they believe they've been removed. The source can easily remain "orphaned" in the DB, with no clear cut way to access it, as only "shares" are listed in the GUI.

I'm not sure if that's within the scope of this discussion/work, but I thought I'd bring it up.
One thing to consider is that some folk use the files node as their main entry point to their video library. Thus, having a "browse all" or some such would be a better option, though some may not even like that.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2013-09-08, 15:21)da-anda Wrote: One thing that always bugged me was that even in "file mode" I have to add a source/share even for local HDDs, USB HDDs and other situations where I only do onetime lookups and never will use that specific source/share again. So instead of having to always add a source/share for this and delete it again I came up with the idea of a "browse file system" share which is always present. This special share would then trigger the same VFS structure that's shown when one browses for the folder while adding a new share. What do you guys think?

At one time, a user could insert a usb drive and the contents of said usb drive would appear in a 'file system' dir matched to the disk label. I guess someone broke this ?
Are we talking about the file manager or the files node/view of the video library?
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2013-09-11, 07:55)Montellese Wrote: Are we talking about the file manager or the files node/view of the video library?
Primarily the files view, but same should be done (even more so) for the file manager.
This one even has its own sources, unrelated to anything else, AFAICT. Those should be scratched altogether, imo.
(2013-09-11, 08:46)Koying Wrote:
(2013-09-11, 07:55)Montellese Wrote: Are we talking about the file manager or the files node/view of the video library?
Primarily the files view, but same should be done (even more so) for the file manager.
This one even has its own sources, unrelated to anything else, AFAICT. Those should be scratched altogether, imo.

the sources added in filemanager show up as path for addons so that behaviour must be ported or changed.
example:
if you add a source in filemanager that can in turn be used by addons for storing images.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add...2folder.22
not sure if it also uses the sources for videos/music atm
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"file system" share in file mode0