Watched status (I did search and read Wiki)
It is probably something simple (I hope)....If I understand correctly the "watched status" is useful if you were to erase and reinstall your shows/movies/etc? That way it lists the movies/TV shows you have "watched" already regardless if you had to update to new skin/eden/frodo/etc....

Am I correct so far?

Below is what I followed from the wiki and where to locate it. But so far...if I were to remove (from XBMC not from hard drive) a show "the simpsons" then re-add it to XBMC the "watched status" doesn't seem to work? Either I am doing it wrong or I don't fully understand the purpose of "watched status".

Thanks for the help

Here is what I have in text editor using windows wordpad:

<advancedsettings>
<videolibrary>
<importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
</videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>

The filename is "advancedsettings.xml" and it is located in (C:\Users\Jeff\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata) on windows 7 machine.
Watched status flags videos you've already watched so that you know what you've seen and what you haven't. This is particular useful when watching episodes from on-going TV shows to let you know where you've left off. In movies and TV episodes listings, you'll see a watched indicator (such as a checkmark) next to items you've already watched. There's also a "Hide watched" setting that will remove watched items from your movie/episode listings; it doesn't remove these items from the library or hard drive, it just filters them out from the view. You can also manually mark items as watched or unwatched (i.e., override the automatically set watched flag). The importwatchedstatus setting in advancedsettings.xml allows you to preserve the watched status of your items when you import a previously exported library; this is only relevant for those times you may need to backup/restore your library.
(2013-09-10, 01:21)skyking376 Wrote: It is probably something simple (I hope)....If I understand correctly the "watched status" is useful if you were to erase and reinstall your shows/movies/etc? That way it lists the movies/TV shows you have "watched" already regardless if you had to update to new skin/eden/frodo/etc....

Am I correct so far?

Below is what I followed from the wiki and where to locate it. But so far...if I were to remove (from XBMC not from hard drive) a show "the simpsons" then re-add it to XBMC the "watched status" doesn't seem to work? Either I am doing it wrong or I don't fully understand the purpose of "watched status".

Thanks for the help

<advancedsettings>
<videolibrary>
</videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>

The filename is "advancedsettings.xml" and it is located in (C:\Users\Jeff\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata) on windows 7 machine.

If you want this functionality you could set up an account with Trakt and then use the Trakt AddOn to sync your watched status to their website.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
(2013-09-10, 01:21)skyking376 Wrote: It is probably something simple (I hope)....If I understand correctly the "watched status" is useful if you were to erase and reinstall your shows/movies/etc? That way it lists the movies/TV shows you have "watched" already regardless if you had to update to new skin/eden/frodo/etc....

Am I correct so far?

Thanks for the help

<advancedsettings>
<videolibrary>
</videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>

Hope I am not stating some steps you have done already.

Some background (I hope you are a newbie, if not excuse my lengthy explanations), XBMC, can scrape information of shows and movies in 2 ways, either online, or by use of .nfo's (these are small text documents that gets saved, or created to assist xbmc with scraping)

When scraping, XBMC gives preference to nfo's, so if a nfo exists, it will use the data given in the nfo, if its not there, then it will go online.

So, now you have a few seasons watched, and delete them, and re add them, but xbmc, will have no way in knowing that it has been watched, because, you deleted the show from the database.

So, before you delete the show, you need to make a backup of your existing DB, this will save all the information to corresponding nfo's (i hope you see where this is going)

So, now, you have a nice set of, nfo's, inside these nfo's there is also a tag for watched, which would have been exported if you have already watched the said show/episode/movie.

If your advancedsettings.xml is configured to import these watched statusses, it will then read the tags from the nfo's and import them back to XBMC.

Now, when it comes to exporting(which is done in the settings - video - export video library), you will be confronted with two options, single, or separate. As far as I can see, the difference between the two mainly is, obviously that they are stored in a single folder, or separate foldders:
  • Single - This will create a complete database backup in one folder, it will copy all the nfo's, fanart, etc in this folder. This option is best when you want to remove data from xbmc, and put it back, with the files, still in their original location. Because the export will create a sources file, with the location of each and every movie, show, episode (it is possible to go and edit this file, but if you have alot of content, and only moved one or two shows to another path, this can be a PITA)
  • Seperate - This option will create nfo's, fanart, etc in the folder of the item, so in Banshee's folder, it will copy all the fanart, nfo's etc in that Banshee's folder, and the same for all the rest of the shows. This option is my preferred option, because if you move banshee from one HDD to another, or one share to another, it will add it back, while scanning for changes (once again, nfo' scraping takes preference.)

So the biggest thing is to export the data, and obviously, data will only be as correct as the last export.

Hope this makes sense, its late, i have had to much caffeine, and not enough nicotene :p So if i did not make sense anywhere, please post.

And lastly, hope this is what you were looking for Big Grin
Can XBMC save the watched setting direcly to my nfo in my source(networkdrive)? Or is this inly for importing?

What I want is that XBMC will mark the nfo file on my NAS source that this movie/episode is watched. Then at startup it will check the NAS source to see how the watched status is(I do a refresh of library on startup of XBMC).

I know that subtitles can be saved by XBMC Subtitle addon direcly to the NAS source and then read it back so it would be nice if the same thing could be done with the watched mark.
If you export the library, the watched status goes with it. But the nfos are only read if the library is refreshed(refreshed, not updated). This generally only happens if you reset the content type of the source or manually refresh an item(movie, tv show, etc).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Watched status (I did search and read Wiki)0