Android Unique Identification of Android Devices
Hi All. My first ever post on xbmc forums.

I am developing an add-on for someone. The general working of the plugin would be to show some lecture videos. The guy only wants to give this add-on to a selected few. He would also be providing a device running Android "JellyBeans". Now I am stuck at a point where I need to identify these android devices, so that this add-on does not work on any other device.

The device has a wifi and bluetooth adapter but does not have any telephony hardware, so I can not use telephony manager. The options that I see available are:

1) Mac Address
It may be possible to retrieve a Mac address from its WiFi or Bluetooth hardware. But than there are some hardware that may not release there Mac.

2) Serial Number
It seems that since Android "Gingerbread" serial number is available as now devices without telephony are required to report a unique device ID.

3) ANDROID_ID
This is a 64-bit quantity that is generated and stored when the device first boots. It is however reset when the device is reser to factory settings.

So out of these 3 choices third choice is the most un-reliable in my opinion. So my question is that which of these choices is better than others and how to get it in python?
I don't think that you can access any android-specific values from a python add-on.

But you could use the MAC-Adress from the XBMC InfoLabels:

PHP Code:
mac_address xbmc.getInfoLabel('Network.MacAddress'
My GitHub. My Add-ons:
(2013-09-17, 12:59)sphere Wrote: I don't think that you can access any android-specific values from a python add-on.

But you could use the MAC-Adress from the XBMC InfoLabels:

PHP Code:
mac_address xbmc.getInfoLabel('Network.MacAddress'

Thanks for the reply. Just another quick question. I have worked on Android before, but its my first time working on xbmc add-on. I remember that when working in java android did not release the mac of its wifi hardware for all devices. Another major issue was that IF android did not release the original mac of wifi hardware it would not send me an empty string, but would instead create a random mac for the session and give that to me(I was puzzled for days as to why I got new mac address everytime). So did anyone else experience such issue while working with xbmc add-ons?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unique Identification of Android Devices0