Win 3D Support/ Playback FramePacking?
Hi @ all,

in the news August Cycle become Gotham 3D Support, eg GUI on 3D-Mod. Now, Frodo can playback BD Iso (3D .*iso only in 2D track) without menue. Is planed that Gotham also support/ playback BD .*iso (3D) where coded in FramePacking?

regards
mirage
No, not possible due to ffmpeg limitations...
Hm,

is a change planning on ffmpeg?
(2013-09-21, 10:49)mirage_19 Wrote: Hi @ all,

in the news August Cycle become Gotham 3D Support, eg GUI on 3D-Mod. Now, Frodo can playback BD Iso (3D .*iso only in 2D track) without menue. Is planed that Gotham also support/ playback BD .*iso (3D) where coded in FramePacking?

I don't know much about stereoscopic 3d but it looks to me that the technical terms are wrong.

Video in BD 3D iso coded with MVC codec, this is the issue, ffpeg doesn't support MVC.

Frame Packing is a feature of HDMI 1.4 which isn't related at all to BD or the content but to the display.
Frame Packing enables to output over HDMI two full hd frames instead of one and doubles the bandwidth so each eye will be delivered 1080P image.
I'm not sure which type of tv's can use this feature, if I understand it correctly a large share of the 3d tv market isn't able.

Regarding frame packing support currently no official info available on the wiki or on the forum but here's my guess (probably got some errors):
* Windows - Intel: supported, work done by afedchin.
* Windows - AMD: not supported.
* Windows - Nvidia: Nvidia not supporting frame packing at all but got their own proprietary "3D Vision" which requires special hardware, 3D Vision supported, work done by afedchin.

* Linux - Raspberry Pi: supported.
* Linux - Intel: not supported, stereo support in driver for Linux is wip corrently.
* Linux - Amd : I have no idea.
* Linux - Nvidia : I have no idea.

p.s. There's also an interleced 3d feature, I'm not quite sure for what purpose.

p.s.2 Take the above info with a grain of salt.
(2013-09-21, 16:45)dhead Wrote: p.s. There's also an interleced 3d feature, I'm not quite sure for what purpose.
For passive 3d screens that don't support frame packed input to automatically switch to 3d? For 3d screens connected via VGA or DVI? Not that if you connect Lg cinema 3D screen via VGA or DVI (not hdmi), you can't even switch screen to 3D mode, so interlaced is the only solution for watch 3D.

So please don't say interlaced is not useful.
(2013-09-22, 18:52)giaur Wrote:
(2013-09-21, 16:45)dhead Wrote: p.s. There's also an interleced 3d feature, I'm not quite sure for what purpose.
For passive 3d screens that don't support frame packed input to automatically switch to 3d? For 3d screens connected via VGA or DVI? Not that if you connect Lg cinema 3D screen via VGA or DVI (not hdmi), you can't even switch screen to 3D mode, so interlaced is the only solution for watch 3D.

So please don't say interlaced is not useful.

I think something lost in the translation.
I didn't said that it isn't useful but that I'm not sure about the use of this feature.
This is why I opened my post with
Quote:I don't know much about stereoscopic 3d ...

Clearly you know more about this than me so thanks for the explanation.
Quote:I didn't said that it isn't useful but that I'm not sure about the use of this feature.
Ok, so short answer: this mode can be used with passive 3d screens. Using this mode there is no need to switch tv into 3d mode, because picture is already prepared to view as 3d.

Of course, interlaced mode is useless for active 3d displays because the don't use interlacing to prepare picture to view as 3d.
(2013-09-21, 16:45)dhead Wrote: Frame Packing is a feature of HDMI 1.4 which isn't related at all to BD or the content but to the display.
Frame Packing enables to output over HDMI two full hd frames instead of one and doubles the bandwidth so each eye will be delivered 1080P image.
I'm not sure which type of tv's can use this feature, if I understand it correctly a large share of the 3d tv market isn't able.

ALL 3D TVs (at least of the last 2-3 years) support frame packing.

(2013-09-21, 16:45)dhead Wrote: * Windows - Nvidia: Nvidia not supporting frame packing at all but got their own proprietary "3D Vision" which requires special hardware, 3D Vision supported, work done by afedchin.

Nvidia supports frame packing just fine. 3D vision I think is another kind of 3D, supported by 3D monitors (different technology than 3D TVs).
(2013-09-24, 23:30)host505 Wrote:
(2013-09-21, 16:45)dhead Wrote: Frame Packing is a feature of HDMI 1.4 which isn't related at all to BD or the content but to the display.

ALL 3D TVs (at least of the last 2-3 years) support frame packing.

I'm quite sure that not all 3D TVs support Full HD image for each eye.

(2013-09-24, 23:30)host505 Wrote:
(2013-09-21, 16:45)dhead Wrote: * Windows - Nvidia: Nvidia not supporting frame packing at all but got their own proprietary "3D Vision" which requires special hardware, 3D Vision supported, work done by afedchin.

Nvidia supports frame packing just fine. 3D vision I think is another kind of 3D, supported by 3D monitors (different technology than 3D TVs).

Are you sure about this ?
(2013-09-25, 08:29)dhead Wrote: I'm quite sure that not all 3D TVs support Full HD image for each eye.

Yes, passive 3D TVs can't show 2xfullhd but they can receive it just fine and downscale it to whatever they can support.

(2013-09-21, 16:45)dhead Wrote: Are you sure about this ?

Yes, I've watched many times frame packed 3D (full blu-ray rip) with my GTX550ti through PowerDVD.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
3D Support/ Playback FramePacking?0