Video of latest xbmc code on Raspberry Pi
(2013-09-29, 12:37)MediaPi Wrote: Although I commend the Raspberry Pi and use one as my main HTPC source. In terms of hardware its already being beaten on price and performance. The quad core boxes are selling for around £50. Your optimising it to the death and by the time your finished you can pick up a quad core beast that will cost the same or lower and have GUI performance x8 minimum. Whats the point in optimising it when consumers will just jump ship. All they care about is price/performance. and all your efforts will have been for nothing??

There are a lot of Raspberry Pi devices out there. Due to it's business model (education), it's a long term platform - it will be supported for years.

While xbmc isn't a primary goal of Raspberry Pi, I'm in a unique position of being able to edit the GPU firmware and xbmc code to fix problems.
And I have a Pi in my living room which is the only thing I watch videos on, so I have an incentive to improve it.

The cheap android boxes will come and go. All are, I believe, not fully functional (e.g. missing CEC, 24Hz switching and DTS/AC3 passthrough), and may well be abandoned by manufacturers before they do work.

No doubt more powerful boxes will continue to appear, and android support will improve, but I'd like to keep the Pi competetive for as long as is possible.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Video of latest xbmc code on Raspberry Pi - by popcornmix - 2013-09-29, 13:05
RE: - by godson - 2013-10-13, 00:29
USB 2.0 vs. Class 10 vs. USB 3.0 - by xbs08 - 2013-12-13, 11:56

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video of latest xbmc code on Raspberry Pi6
This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.