• 30(current)
Linux Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)
Hello,
I've build my raring from scratch according to this howto.
Sadly, I have a very high cpu load with xbmc while idling (fresh reboot). There are always 2 processes taking around 80-90% cpu time.

After working on the normal hints (e.g. deactivating rss feeds and dirty region rendering), there is no improvement. Do you guys have the same problems and/or any hints for me?
Hi,

first of all thank you for the guide. It helped me to update my XBMC to the new version. Thanks for that.
After completing your guide, I noticed "cracking noise" only when playing DTS-HD files (HDMI passthrough).
I then installed the patch as described in Audio trouble shooting.
After doing this, I noticed bad flickering in the XBMC GUI. The screen goes off for 1 sec, comes back, goes off again..

I reverted the changes to Grub back to:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="radeon.audio=1 radeon.dpm=1 clocksource=hpet hpet=enable quiet splash"
and did the update-grub.

Unfortunately the flickering is still there. It seems to be random. On approx 5 out of 8 tries it's flickering. If I do a reboot, sometimes the flicker disappears, most of the time it's still there.
The cracking-noise issue wasn't fixed too.

Can you please help me to fix this? What logfiles and debug info do you need? How to generate this info for you?

Thanks in advance,
End
@Endeavour79, @dermute:

The howto suggest posting logfiles, please do so.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I am in the disco too, since I installed MESA 10.0.0 dev/ new kernel(rc6) on Ubuntu 13.10. Sorry I know this is not what was requested in the how to, but I tried it.

When the screen is blinking (every 2nd second) you cannot type. You cannot play any video file. When I open XBMC I can see I see Gallium 0.4 is installed.

I will provide log files if you are interested in it, however as I said I use "Sausy" .
I need someone with only non working audio, to gather the following output:

root@openelec:~/radeontool/radeontool# ./radeontool regmatch 0x05ac
0x05ac 0x00000000 (0)
root@openelec:~/radeontool/radeontool# ./radeontool regmatch 0x05b0
0x05b0 0x000ea600 (960000)
root@openelec:~/radeontool/radeontool# ./radeontool regmatch 0x05b4
0x05b4 0x0016a8c8 (1485000)
root@openelec:~/radeontool/radeontool# ./radeontool regmatch 0x05b8
0x05b8 0x00000000 (0)
root@openelec:~/radeontool/radeontool# ./radeontool regmatch 0x05bc
0x05bc 0x00000072 (114)
root@openelec:~/radeontool/radeontool# ./radeontool regmatch 0x05cc
0x05cc 0x00000001 (1)

and see what you get.

I only need those with _my_ 3.12-rc6 kernel I posted before. In order to provide them, you have to build radeontool from source:

Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential pkg-config libpciaccess-dev
git clone git://people.freedesktop.org/~airlied/radeontool
cd radeontool
./autogen.sh
make

Now play something in xbmc, best some mp3 or whatever you like. It is important that you do the commands, when playing something.

@gfisher: Would be nice if you could do them, as I know for sure, that your issue is related to this patch.

I will forward the results to Christian and Alex. They consider that high priority.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hello great work guys, few questions Smile

With the radeon driver the performance in games / openGL stuff will be far worse, right? (if yes, is there a way to get the best of both world?)
What happens with files with more than 36fps?
How big is the difference in picture quality between xvba and vdpau in their current states? Is vdpau blob deinterlacing better than xvba? It's not clear to me yet what the advantage is .
Nothing is true - everything is permitted. Hail Eris.
Huh?
Where's that from? Smile
I wanted to say: Test it yourself. The rest is in the thread.

Throughput is GPU dependend.
Yeah, I figured it meant something like that hehe ..
Just came back from testing, the framerate was pretty low in the menus (xperience1080 metro skin though, so pretty demanding). But the picture quality was pretty much flawless. Unfortunately I didn't have 50fps material to test. But, since I want gaming functionality I'm deciding to switch back to xvba. Planning to run Ubuntu 12.04 with 13.6 driver with patched 13.8 XvBA files.

Just one more question; Which ppa does have the latest stable xvba version in?
Sorry, I know this is offtopic and this thread shouldn't be about xvba ...
Yeah - offtopic. Visit #xbmc-xvba or something.
Hi,
This might be of interest even if it is based on Saucy.

I have played some bluray concerts and all with 60 Hz frame rate plays fine. I have two with 24 Hz frame rate. On these video look fine, but there is no sound.
I have mostly followed the "How too".

Hardware components are:
Harman Kardon reciever
AMD 620 CPU
AMD Radeon HD6670 graphics

This is the xbmc.log
http://pastebin.com/ueRF7EpU

Time about 14.18. Depeche Mode concert with HDMI setting, that plays fine. Reciever shows DTS HD.
Time about 14:21. Crossroads with HDMI setting, and there is no sound. Reciever shows Logic 7 Movie. Should have been DTS HD.
Time about 14:23. Switched to spdif. Sound is OK. Reciever shows DTS.
Time about 14:25. Switched back to HDMI, and there is no sound.
Time about 14:26 Exit XBMC
(2013-10-21, 15:28)P-I H Wrote: This is the xbmc.log
http://pastebin.com/ueRF7EpU
Try to stop pulseaudio before starting XBMC. For me it solved problems with sound over HDMI.
Qui vit sans folie n'est pas si sage qu'il croit
I tried again both kernel 3.12_rc5 and 3.12_rc6...
With both kernel xbmc doesen't start. the Tv allway show me the ubuntu login
screen but the screen is flickering...
I tried to start xbmc via ssh... but i got the info that xbmc is running. when I stop xbmc service
the flickering stops immediately...
Board: B85M-ITX
CPU: i3 4330
GPU: Geforce GTX 750ti
  • 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)26