• 64(current)
Linux Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)
skipping frames fix/issue. affected videos 1080ix29.97 abd 720px59.94, h.264 or mpeg2.

vertical sync blank causes skips/slight judder for me. xrandr shows my sony supports 59.94.

System ->Video->Playback:
VDPAU: On
Prefer VDPAU Mixer: ON
VAAPI: off
Adjust Refreshrate to match video: On
Sync Playback to Display: On
Sync Method: Video Clock (Drop/Dupe)

I have no tearing. compositing off.

vertical blank sync - none. 0 skips! no judder log;
http://pastebin.com/rLPdEY6z

vertical blank sync - let driver choose 46 skips. some slight judder log;
http://pastebin.com/x0pQ927y

vertical blank sync - none = perfect playback of all videos so far. I presume this is not expected behavior.

my system a4-3400, gpu overclocked 800mhz, dual channel pc1600 8g tuned. xubuntu 64 desktop. hdmi stereo to set.
(2013-11-16, 20:15)deadite66 Wrote: you don't have the right kernel pyrodex.

So that was the issue. Thanks for the double check!

Now with this setup I have a few concerns:

1) I've followed the XBMC startup steps and it doesn't startup properly. I have to login as XBMC user and then start it by hand. Any thoughts for a fix?
2) With the added mesa repo will this ever be merged into future ubuntu releases or will this repo be the future for this configuration? If it is the future who is going to maintain it for updates and so forth?
3) With the added XBMC repo will we be able to use mainline XBMC repo down the road or could I install XBMC nightly from xbmc.org just as well?
4) With the kernel will these customizations eventually be merged into ubuntu's release? The reason why I asked is I tried ubuntu's mainline kernel for 3.12.X and that was my issue.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
HTPC(s): All running LibreELEC
  • AMD 2200G APU on Gigabyte AB350N-Gaming WIFI-CF
  • RPI3 x2 | RPI2 x2
NAS: FreeNAS (Latest Stable) | NFS/CIFS
(2013-11-16, 21:26)pyrodex Wrote: Now with this setup I have a few concerns:

fritsch answered some of those questions here.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1548991
Intel Core i5-11500, ASRock B560M-ITX/ac, 240GB SSD + 4TB  Western Digital Blue, Arch Linux, mythtv 31+fixes + TBS 6205 QUAD FREEVIEW DVB-T2
(2013-11-16, 21:36)deadite66 Wrote:
(2013-11-16, 21:26)pyrodex Wrote: Now with this setup I have a few concerns:

fritsch answered some of those questions here.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1548991

Thanks again deadite66!

Any assistance on the auto-startup? Trying to make it wife friendly if she has to reboot the system.
  • RPI3 x2 | RPI2 x2
The setup shown in Post 1 implements an auto starting xbmc, that just restarts itself, if it crashes. No need to do anything manually.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Current nightly 11-16 fixed the scraping bug...
ASRock Beebox J3160 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Elite BT
Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Smart Control BT
all @ Libreelec Testbuild
HP N54L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server / MySQL DB
HP N40L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server
Ok so I've fixed startup and worked out that but have noticed one side effect when doing the startup. The HDMI interface isn't available after a reboot until I close XBMC once and restart it. I tried to put a 5 second delay startup in xbmc-standalone but no luck. Any thoughts on this by chance to resolve the issue?
  • RPI3 x2 | RPI2 x2
don't change the standalone script. Check startxbmc.sh or the upstart script, which already waits for udev-trigger.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Ok, I played several types of videos in xbmc today. h.264, mpeg2, xvid, 59.94p, 30fps, 29.97p, 29.97i, 23.97p.

I cannot get tearing to occur on the oss driver at all. And I have *vertical blank sync* - none. Playback is much better, only a few skips/judders, good av sync. I am happy with this.

Is *vertical blank sync* now obsolete/redundant on oss?

It took some digging to find a possible justified reason:

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/RadeonF.../#index2h2
anti-tearing flags- EnablePageFlip, SwapBuffers

in my xorg.0.log i have:
[ 24.996] (II) RADEON(0): KMS Pageflipping: enabled
[ 24.996] (II) RADEON(0): SwapBuffers wait for vsync: enabled

Prior to OSS, I had horrible tearing with this APU on fglrx. It was especially bad on youtube. Now with oss that is gone. Good riddens!

So isn't *vertical blank sync* - none, the correct choice for this mesa/oss driver?
let driver decide is probably best, did you try that too?
None: Disables vsync
Always Enabled: Forces some special things
Let Driver Decide: Keeps whatever the driver has.
@pyrodex,

just curious, do you have the A6 Black Edition?

i noticed that you have not said anything about any artifacts on the XBMC GUI.

can you tell me what you get when you run:
Code:
lspci | grep VGA

just to satisfy my curiosity.
Linux Mint 18 LTS 64-bit - Kodi 17 Beta6
Odroid-C2 - Libreelec v7.90.009
@wsnipex. I tried- let driver decide, always and none. I was using always per the op and fglrx days.
@fritsch, thanks. Not sure why *none* fixes my minor skips for 59.94. But as always, I will keep digging for the answer. For now I will enjoy the awesome picture quality/temporal deinterlacing, skip/judder free playback. Luckily I have no tearing with it off.
(2013-11-17, 15:13)locomot1f Wrote: @pyrodex,

just curious, do you have the A6 Black Edition?

i noticed that you have not said anything about any artifacts on the XBMC GUI.

can you tell me what you get when you run:
Code:
lspci | grep VGA

just to satisfy my curiosity.

I am running the A6-3500 unit.

Code:
xbmc@bedhtpc:~/.xbmc/addons$ lspci | grep VGA
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] BeaverCreek [Radeon HD 6530D]
xbmc@bedhtpc:~/.xbmc/addons$

After working out my stupid install issues, which were my fault, I have played with it all night long and so far haven't had an issue with artifacts. I did do some tweaking in the settings and don't sync my display refresh with the video and so far no issues. Let me know if you need anything else.

EDIT:

Now that I think of it the ONLY issue I have noticed versus my Windows setup is that it seems slightly more darker than originally. I may have to tweak brightness/contrast to help but it was a quirk I noticed.
  • RPI3 x2 | RPI2 x2
@pyrodex -- no, for some reason, i thought your A6 might have been running Richland -- something above Radeon HD 6xxxD.

fyi -- under Settings -> System -> Video Output
down at the bottom, there is the option to "Use limited colour range(16-235)
this might help your color issue.
Linux Mint 18 LTS 64-bit - Kodi 17 Beta6
Odroid-C2 - Libreelec v7.90.009
  • 64(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)26