• 81(current)
Linux Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)
@locomotif: Do me a favor and _just_ read. The kernel in the start post is old - more than 4 weeks already. The patch for the artifacts is from today ... So it's obviously not included. I also linked the repository where you find which exact patch is applied with which kernel. So don't confuse others.

When @fatalsaint has reported if the artifacts are fixed, I might pick it to a 3.12.1-image
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2013-12-04, 22:15)fritsch Wrote: @jaapp: Good catch, report this in the bugreport where it is coming from and provide some logs. I also have no luck for now with my Kabini and 3.13 - but no kernel faults detected.

Curious on the "Artifacts" People.

I will, as soon as I have some time (meaning: nobody is using the HTPC). I don't have a development environment to experiment on.
@fritsch,

i'm really not trying to be a nuisance...
since i'm still waiting for a fix to my other issue regarding 3.13, i'll just wait to see if you decide to update the 3.12 kernel

@deadite66, thanks for the explanation. that makes a lot of sense. maybe when i have some time, i'll play with this a little more.
starting to become more time consuming.
Linux Mint 18 LTS 64-bit - Kodi 17 Beta6
Odroid-C2 - Libreelec v7.90.009
(2013-12-04, 21:34)locomot1f Wrote: i can't get you log files, cause I have no way
on my screen i get:
Code:
*ERROR* UVD not responding, trying to reset the VCPU!!!
this repeats until it gives up
then it says:
Code:
*ERROR* radeon: failed initializing UVD (-1)

Oddly enough I'm getting these errors now. I was using 3.13-rc1 and upgraded to 3.13rc2-1 that I patched with the artifact fix and am getting this.

I am going to rebuild a previous kernel build with the patch and report back again... it takes my system a while to build a kernel Smile.
I updated to 3.13rc2-1, verified I was using 3.13rc2-1, rebooted now will not complete boot cycle.

Edit: getting same error as locomot1f reported "*ERROR* radeon: failed initializing UVD (-1)"
Ok, well, I get those UVD errors on both the 3.12-rc7 kernel and the 3.13rc2-1 kernel. With 3.12rc7 xbmc still starts up on boot just fine, but with 3.13rc2-1 it fails. I can manually restart xbmc and it comes up, which is strange.. in any case - on both kernels I still have the artifacts.

AMD A6-6400k w/ Radeon 8470D
mesa-git 10.0.1
ati-dri-git 10.0.1
libdrm-git 2.4.49-1
xf86-video-ati-git 20121110-1

Looks like someone already posted in the bug report that it doesn't work for them either. Guess we wait for another patch. I will now try and figure out why xbmc doesn't automatically start with the 3.13 kernel.
Good - make sure to report all those into the bugreports where the patches come from. Thanks for testing. It's a rough time, but we are only at -rc2 now, that can be made working until .13 final, which is the plan :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
If people are pulling xbmc packages from wsnipex/xbmc-fernetmenta-master be aware there is a bug with 2:13.0~git20131205.0500-ed7431b-0saucy which causes service addons to fail. I had to roll back after taking a package upgrade. Supposedly this is fixed in GIT but just needs to be recompiled on that repo.
HTPC(s): All running LibreELEC
  • AMD 2200G APU on Gigabyte AB350N-Gaming WIFI-CF
  • RPI3 x2 | RPI2 x2
NAS: FreeNAS (Latest Stable) | NFS/CIFS
Oki, will be auto compiled tomorrow night.
fritsch, I'm trying to figure out based on your repo what commits where new in version 3.13-rc2 0.3 since 0.2. Is there some versioning logic going on I can use to find this out?

The reason I'm looking for these commits is because I want to figure out what is causing the jerking so I can place a bug report.
@jaap: Only the latest, this one: https://github.com/fritsch/linux/commit/...bdfbff31f7
i copied over the HAWAII.bin drivers from here -- http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode/
seems like they have not made it to the linux-firmware update yet....

also, @fritsch, i complied my own kernel -- Big Grin

(2013-12-05, 04:48)fatalsaint Wrote: Ok, well, I get those UVD errors on both the 3.12-rc7 kernel and the 3.13rc2-1 kernel. With 3.12rc7 xbmc still starts up on boot just fine, but with 3.13rc2-1 it fails. I can manually restart xbmc and it comes up, which is strange.. in any case - on both kernels I still have the artifacts.

AMD A6-6400k w/ Radeon 8470D
mesa-git 10.0.1
ati-dri-git 10.0.1
libdrm-git 2.4.49-1
xf86-video-ati-git 20121110-1

Looks like someone already posted in the bug report that it doesn't work for them either. Guess we wait for another patch. I will now try and figure out why xbmc doesn't automatically start with the 3.13 kernel.

this is what Alex D. has to say
Quote:Make sure you have installed the latest rlc ucode for your chip and make sure you've updated the ucode in your initrd if you are using one.

i asked him what this means, as i have no idea... any pointersHuh
Linux Mint 18 LTS 64-bit - Kodi 17 Beta6
Odroid-C2 - Libreelec v7.90.009
Hi, first - thanks Fritsch for this, it is really appreciated.

Second - I installed according to your instructions, and all worked well, except the shutdown (and I did make sure that I removed the extra characters in that script).
Today I did 2 things:
- install the HomeRow web interface
- sudo apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

Now xbmc starts but there is a high idle CPU usage (33% on both CPUs) and it's at 16fps or less if I go to debugging mode (7-10fps). Resolution is at 1024x768, I think it was higher before.
If I try and play a video, it crashes or goes back to the home screen. Just navigating the menus bring both CPUs to 100%

I did update to the latest kernel
(Linux nano 3.13.0-rc2+ #1 SMP Wed Dec 4 17:31:18 CET 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux)

Let me know if I need to provide more info. Any suggestions as how to solve this?

dmesg: http://paste.ubuntu.com/6527448/
xbmc.log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/6527449/
Xorg.0.log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/6527450/
vdpau info: here I'm now getting an error whereas I wasn't getting one before:
xbmc@nano:~$ DISPLAY=:0 vdpauinfo | pastebinit
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Error creating VDPAU device: 1
http://paste.ubuntu.com/6527451/
I did see in a previous post that it may be a sign of missing a few things, I typed:
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-ati
but that was already installed.
dpkg -l |grep mesa : http://paste.ubuntu.com/6527456/
(2013-12-06, 00:30)locomot1f Wrote: this is what Alex D. has to say
Quote:Make sure you have installed the latest rlc ucode for your chip and make sure you've updated the ucode in your initrd if you are using one.

i asked him what this means, as i have no idea... any pointersHuh

The Radeon ucode's are provided, I believe, by linux-firmware. I did install linux-firmware-git to try it out, to update the radeon firmware, but I still get the UVD errors.
@vilnico: you installation is totally broken, start over with a clean install according to the howto
  • 81(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)26