• 82(current)
Linux Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)
@Locomotif: Hawaii firmware is not needed for your hardware. In ubuntu a sudo update-initramfs -u should ben enough to pick stuff up.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
@fritsch... yeah... kinda got that... thought i'd give it a shot anyway.
thnks.

still no go. at one point after a reboot, it did get as far as the XBMC logo!, but then it froze...
not sure what's happening with the new kernel...
Linux Mint 18 LTS 64-bit - Kodi 17 Beta6
Odroid-C2 - Libreelec v7.90.009
@MPEG-2 GPU Lockup people

I have tried the patch (thanks fritsch) linked in the bugreport in combination with updated Mesa and 2D master now (pulled late yesterday) but the locking is as bad as ever sadly. I have updated the bug report...

I currently leave VDPAU disabled unless watching a HD movie - as a workaround!

@fritsch: feel free to link the bug report into the 1st page (https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=71796).
Weird, i compiled a 3.12 kernel with the mpeg2 patch and couldn't get the system to crash.
Intel Core i5-11500, ASRock B560M-ITX/ac, 240GB SSD + 4TB  Western Digital Blue, Arch Linux, mythtv 31+fixes + TBS 6205 QUAD FREEVIEW DVB-T2
(2013-12-06, 15:22)deadite66 Wrote: Weird, i compiled a 3.12 kernel with the mpeg2 patch and couldn't get the system to crash.

Hmm - the patch Alexandre Demers linked in the bug report?

Fritsch's is a 3.13-rc2 patched kernel, if that matters... interesting!
(2013-12-06, 16:34)libgradev Wrote: Hmm - the patch Alexandre Demers linked in the bug report?

yes.
3.13 gives me a dead screen.
3.12.3 no dvb-t2 tuners.
but 3.12 with the atihdmi5, mpeg2 fix and 24Hz patches has given me a usable system again.

i kept stopping and starting a mpeg2 stream about 10 times and could not get a gpu hang.
Intel Core i5-11500, ASRock B560M-ITX/ac, 240GB SSD + 4TB  Western Digital Blue, Arch Linux, mythtv 31+fixes + TBS 6205 QUAD FREEVIEW DVB-T2
yeah... i'm with you @deadite66

in the process right now of compiling 3.12.3 and testing with some patches relative to my system.
do you get the UVD errors on 3.13? i can't remember if you said so or not...
didn't even see a screen with 3.13, total gpu crash.
(2013-12-06, 16:40)deadite66 Wrote:
(2013-12-06, 16:34)libgradev Wrote: Hmm - the patch Alexandre Demers linked in the bug report?

i kept stopping and starting a mpeg2 stream about 10 times and could not get a gpu hang.

I'll be compiling 3.12 with the patch then later ;D
I just want to say thank you for posting such a great howto. I was able to get this working on my main HTPC last night running Debian (Jessie).

CPU: AMD A8-5500 APU
GPU: [AMD/ATI] Trinity [Radeon HD 7560D]

xbmc gotham alpha9 running vdpau on my video sources w/ no artifacts or issues at all (yet). No frame drops and uber-low cpu usage!

Thanks so much!
FYI:

i was able to successfully compile and patch kernel 3.12.3
going to apt-mark hold the mesa packages again so they don't break UVD, can't have that happening over Christmas.
(2013-12-06, 17:26)Zeqad1ous Wrote: I just want to say thank you for posting such a great howto. I was able to get this working on my main HTPC last night running Debian (Jessie).

xbmc gotham alpha9 running vdpau on my video sources w/ no artifacts or issues at all (yet). No frame drops and uber-low cpu usage!

Thanks so much!

I have the same APU and i too run Debian Jessie (64 bit). I never had artifacts or significant issues like the people around here.
But i compile everything from git myself from the kernel to mesa and xbmc too.
May be just this igp works better with oss radeon (it had issues with kernels 3.11 and up to 3.12 rc4 with random system freezing but since it was smooth sailing).
Or is the distribution ? (couldn resist Smile ).
Seriously, this APU works very very well with radeon, not just in xbmc but in games too. And it doesnt overheat even with the tiny default cooler.
(2013-12-06, 20:11)gradinaruvasile Wrote:
(2013-12-06, 17:26)Zeqad1ous Wrote: I just want to say thank you for posting such a great howto. I was able to get this working on my main HTPC last night running Debian (Jessie).

Thanks so much!

I have the same APU and i too run Debian Jessie (64 bit). I never had artifacts or significant issues like the people around here.
May be just this igp works better with oss radeon (it had issues with kernels 3.11 and up to 3.12 rc4 with random system freezing but since it was smooth sailing).
Seriously, this APU works very very well with radeon, not just in xbmc but in games too. And it doesnt overheat even with the tiny default cooler.

Hi Guys,
I have an A10-5700 that is very close to your APU-
I'm still running on Lubuntu 12.10 with patched radeon drivers and XVBA.
When I read success stories, I'd wish to get details, as I'll be forced to upgrade soon.
May you please explain your installation step-by-step? Or pointing to the instruction and explain if you did exactly what is written or not.
Even via PM if you don't want to do that within the thread.

Thanks,
Claudio
(2013-12-06, 20:11)gradinaruvasile Wrote:

Thanks so much!

starting to wonder if it's the Richland APUs. I may be wrong. but it seems people with Trinity APUs haven't had the problem.
i'm running a6-6400 Richland APU.

i am tempted to trying the debian disto -- hehehe Smile
  • 82(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)26