• 135(current)
Linux Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)
Retry with 10.0.3 that one is (despite the none existing flushing fixes) running really nice on my Kabini.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
My PR concernig the Codec Settings was just merged.

That changes will come into this PPA the next time Fernetmenta rebases. I think that'l be on Tuesday.

You can then switch the Settings to "Expert" and Disable all the codecs you want to do on the CPU (VC1, Mpeg-2, Mpeg-4) - H264 is not to be disabled.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
@fritsch: Nice one Smile
(2014-02-07, 07:03)mikefreeman Wrote: undefined

I don't know why my question got turned into "undefined", so I'll try this again...

Is there a way to still get this working with Frodo 12.3 and the AMD proprietary drivers? The reason is that I do not want to use alpha-level software on my primary HTPC, so I don't want to switch to Gotham yet. In addition, I have a few addons that I really like that currently work well but aren't actively supported, and are incompatible with Gotham. Also, I use Mint 13 LTS (based on Ubuntu 12.04), which does not have access to any PPA's containing Mesa 10. So I have to use the proprietary drivers to get a decent frame rate at the moment. Your previous XBMC-xvba PPA only contains XBMC Frodo 12.2, and not 12.3 which seems more stable. Any way to make this work with what I'm using until the next Mint LTS and the official release of Gotham? Any help would be appreciated here. Thanks!
(2014-02-10, 22:18)mikefreeman Wrote: Any way to make this work with what I'm using until the next Mint LTS and the official release of Gotham? ...
No. Stick with what you have and be outdated, or go and do the update to get bleeding edge.

I did use Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. And the xbmc xvba thingy for my htpc until a few month. I thenn did upgrade to saucy and installed xbmmc as stated in this thread and i have to say xbmc is mmore reliable/stable then the xvba shit. Xvba did break my Harmony 650 remote controll and took me hours to get it semi-good done once again.

I would recomend switching to this xbmc-with-oss, since it currently is stable and will be soon completely mainline.

You could keep what you have and do the upgrade once gotham is out, but i am fairly sure you have to upgrade your mint installation anyway.
Finally.

https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/comm...9c1c6a02e1

The stuttered vdpau playback is fixed...
(2014-02-10, 22:26)Jan0sh Wrote: No. Stick with what you have and be outdated, or go and do the update to get bleeding edge.

I did use Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. And the xbmc xvba thingy for my htpc until a few month. I thenn did upgrade to saucy and installed xbmmc as stated in this thread and i have to say xbmc is mmore reliable/stable then the xvba shit. Xvba did break my Harmony 650 remote controll and took me hours to get it semi-good done once again.

I would recomend switching to this xbmc-with-oss, since it currently is stable and will be soon completely mainline.

You could keep what you have and do the upgrade once gotham is out, but i am fairly sure you have to upgrade your mint installation anyway.

There HAS to be some sort of middle ground for those wanting stability AND usable hardware support, other than either being "outdated" or "bleeding edge". It's frustrating that xvba was stopped with 12.2 instead of simply waiting just a short time and releasing a compatible 12.3. It's frustrating that no one makes a Precise-compatible PPA for Mesa 10 binaries - it's the current supported LTS for pete's sake! It's frustrating that I either have to deal with bad video for months, spend money I don't have to get different hardware, or use bleeding edge software that'll have to be completely re-installed in a few months.

I never had any difficulties or broken devices with xvba, and it really did make my system run better in general.

As for using Saucy, there's a reason why I only use LTS on my HTPC. I don't want to have to reconfigure the stupid thing every few months. I honestly don't have time for that, and can't imagine how most people do. It'd be nice if things were supported to the end of a complete version cycle if nothing else.
I have read the above post
@mikefreeman: blame AMD instead of the our hard working developers, and head down to your local computer store and buy the cheapest Nvidia card you can find if you don't want to mess around with bleeding edge software.

FWIW, I read that it's possible Ubuntu 12.04 will get a last point release when 14.04 is released, which should upgrade the kernel and graphics stack to whatever makes it into 14.04. With a bit of luck that would mean it satisfies all the dependencies needed for this build.
afaik precise get the saucy stack only, which is too old. Otherwise the mesa ppa wouldn't be needed.
Besides that, porting the needed xbmc changes to frodo is a no-go.
(2014-02-11, 09:55)negge Wrote: @mikefreeman: blame AMD instead of the our hard working developers, and head down to your local computer store and buy the cheapest Nvidia card you can find if you don't want to mess around with bleeding edge software.

FWIW, I read that it's possible Ubuntu 12.04 will get a last point release when 14.04 is released, which should upgrade the kernel and graphics stack to whatever makes it into 14.04. With a bit of luck that would mean it satisfies all the dependencies needed for this build.

Blaming AMD won't solve the problem. I have the system I have. It was cheap, but worked perfectly fine with the xvba build of XBMC and every other piece of software I needed to use when I bought it last year. It cannot change cards, as it is built rather strangely. Even though it's a desktop system, it has no expansion card slots that I can see (other than memory). The graphics is integrated, similar to a laptop. In most cases, NVIDIA systems are significantly more expensive than AMD-based systems (should I blame NVIDIA now, too?).

As for the updates being included in 12.04, I'm planning on moving to 14.04 (Mint 17) since it's the next LTS, so that won't matter. However, that's months away, and doesn't solve my immediate problem of glitchy video without xvba support.
Keep what you have. I won't for any money of the world develop XVBA anymore. Happy, that all this was cheap for you.
@mikefreeman: Geez, kinda feel bad for you buddy. Unfortunately this isn't the place to start whining. So go start a thread somewhere else where you think whining about it will matter. Otherwise get busy and come up with a solution yourself, then people can whine to you why your solution doesn't work on their hardware.
Ok, look. I didn't come here to complain or "whine". I just wanted a simple answer to a question: Is it possible to make xvba continue working on the latest stable XBMC, with the current LTS, which has to use proprietary AMD drivers to get acceptable frame rates? I don't think that's an unusual or unreasonable question. I'm sure I'm not alone in using this setup. All I've gotten instead is, my hardware is crap, my drivers are crap, xvba is crap, and I should to use bleeding-edge software instead of outdated crap. I'm just looking for a solution to a problem. I don't want to be a bother or to frustrate anyone. I just didn't think it was outside of expectations for something that worked perfectly for my system in XBMC 12.2 to still be usable through the end of the version cycle with 12.3. I guess I was wrong. It appears I've stumbled into a bit of sour grapes here in this thread. I will leave now. Sorry to have bothered you all.
Yes. It is possible and it is not hard at all. You only have to compile yourself from source.

Only thing you need to do is "rebase fernetmenta's frodo branch onto xbmc-mainline/frodo" - that's it.
  • 135(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)26