himedia q5 ii
Hi,
i got Himedia Q5-II box a few weeks ago, and as many of you i faced the xbmc problem also. I updated the Himedia to the newer firmware immediately after i received it. Then i installed xbmc. But the program crashes immediately after playing a video or a live stream. I tried all xbmc alternatives but the result it was mostly the same. Then i noticed somewhere that the new firmware had many bugs and crashes so i revert back to the old firmware. After that i installed the last official version from xbmc site and it worked like a sharm. Now i didn't have the opportunity to test it with full hd movie, but with 720p in 1channel and dailyx it worked flawless. I will test the full hd also and i will let you know. Also another version which worked (with the new firmware also) is the monthly build ghotam but till version 8, later versions will crash. Alpha 7 & 8 worked pretty well but the have some minor bugs and stability problems as they are beta versions.
Hope it can help.
Best regards!
(2014-01-23, 11:26)endri23 Wrote: Hi,
i got Himedia Q5-II box a few weeks ago, and as many of you i faced the xbmc problem also. I updated the Himedia to the newer firmware immediately after i received it. Then i installed xbmc. But the program crashes immediately after playing a video or a live stream. I tried all xbmc alternatives but the result it was mostly the same. Then i noticed somewhere that the new firmware had many bugs and crashes so i revert back to the old firmware. After that i installed the last official version from xbmc site and it worked like a sharm. Now i didn't have the opportunity to test it with full hd movie, but with 720p in 1channel and dailyx it worked flawless. I will test the full hd also and i will let you know. Also another version which worked (with the new firmware also) is the monthly build ghotam but till version 8, later versions will crash. Alpha 7 & 8 worked pretty well but the have some minor bugs and stability problems as they are beta versions.
Hope it can help.
Best regards!

Which firmware did you use? I bought this box from futeco.com and couldn't install xbmc on it. Upgraded to the latest firmware but still no hardware acceleration and several bugs. How did you manage to install on the original firmware?

Many thanks!
I used just the firmware from www.futeko.com site, even if i didn't purchased the Q5-II from them, but they have the stock version in there site under Himedia Q5-II - support. You should download the "05-SEP-13 Original Firmware". You will download a zip file named "update_dualcore_Q5_en0905.zip" but don't forget to rename it in "update_dualcore_Q5_en" before make the downgrade. After downgrade is finished just download the latest android official build from xbmc site.
(Just to be clair i have the Q5-II non emmc version, and all my instructions are for the nandflash model, for the new emmc version you can find support under tablet republic. They have a custom xbmc for Himedia Q5-2 emmc version: http://tabletrepublic.com/forum/download...ile&id=283)
Anyway if you don't have luck with my version you can try this custom xbmc under http://www.xbmcandroid.com/how-to-instal...r-android/.
Thanks Endri. I guess the emmc model is the best way to go as it solves most of the issues and it will have more chance to have further updates in the future. I don't suppose you know where you can get one that is deifinitely the latest model? I know Futeko.com only sells older models.
http://www.buyincoins.com/item/37983.html they claim they have the emmc version, but i don't recommend buying out of ebay!!!!
Another dumb question from a newbie - How do I tell which version of the Q5 II I have? EMMC or Non EMMC?
Look at the serial number . eMMC models have eMMC in the string.
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I shall try all those suggested solutions over the weekend.
Thanks endri23. Unfortunately buyincoin.com don't stke the latest model either. I waiting for a couple of site to confirm and I will post a link as soon as I find it
I have given up trying to run XBMC on the HiMedia Q5 II. I have now tried everything. Different firmware, numerous versions of XBMC. Tried an app called Show Box last night and it streamed fantastic. I even streamed in Hi-Def and it didn't miss a beat.
Hi 3dtvlover,
i just wanna confirm that it is more than a week that i'm using xbmc on Himedia Q5-2 (non EMMC) without any problem and issues. If u want i can explain once the procedure to you.
First thing, go to: http://www.futeko.com/navpage/support.php#hiq5ii and download the file "05-SEP-13 Original Firmware". Put it on a empty usb drive and rename it from "update_dualcore_Q5_en0905" to "update_dualcore_Q5_en" then do firmware upgrade via menu.
After firmware updgrade is completed go to xbmc official site and download the latest stable version which is 12.3 frodo. Then install it to your himedia. After that you can ad plug-ins and watch movies, live sports and whatever you want.
Hope it can help.
(i will take a look at showbox also, thnx for suggestion!)
Hi Endri23
Did everything suggested in your previous post. The only difference is I ran XBMCHUB wizard after installing XBMC Frodo for Android. Perhaps that is what causes the problem? On a positive note I am able to stream in Hi Quality with no dropouts or buffering problems with Showbox. My son has tried this on his android tablet which is also a dual core but can only stream Showbox at the lowest quality without having buffering issues.
I downloaded the latest firmware (1.03) from himedia firmware page for HIMEDIA Q5 II (not EMMC version).
1. I rename the zip file to "update_dualcore_Q5_en.zip" since I have english version.
2. I put the zip file in USB drive and plug the drive into himedia player.
3. go to System Upgrade under setting, and I see D -> click to install.
4. after it is successfully installed, go to XBMC official site and download the latest android version 12.3 XBMC.
5. move the apk file to USB drive.
6. go to File Manager and find the apk file and install.
7. my XBMC is working on HIMEDIA Q5 II now.

good lucks
No, that is not working!!!

Firstly.. 1.0.3 is not the latest. 1.0.4 was released October 2013 and it didn't work. I don't know what version you mean, is it new?

What do you mean working? I take it you don't mean 1080p h/w decoded stuff? If you are talking about low-res crap stuff, that has kinda worked for ages. I think we are all waiting on full 1080p support here.
moamoa,

I can watch 1Channel movies 720p without issue. I don't know about 1080p h/w decoded stuff. BTW, I installed XBMC hub wizard so it comes with all the nice addons.

here is the download link for 1.03.
You have to go to Chinese website.

http://www.himedia-tech.cn/en/service_fi...name=双核Q系列#

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
himedia q5 ii0