Linux XBMC-platform with 4K- and 3D-support
Hi guys,

As suggested in the "Very first HTPC" thread, I hereby start a new thread regarding my new to build HTPC system.

I want my HTPC to be run an Linux OS from SSD as I have my media collection on my storage server and no content will be stored locally. The PC has to be able to play 3D, also from bluray and, most important, support 4K resolution output and decoding/forwarding all audio streams to my audio-amplifier.

I've done a lot of research and it seemed that 4K is supported by XBMC, as long as hardware acceleration is switched off. It seems to me that, in that case, a better CPU is required. For XBMC and Linux-support, an Intel CPU is mostly recommended. An i3 CPU seems to be able to do the 3D bluray playback, but is it capable of handling 3D playback ánd video decoding?

It recommended to have an i3 with separate videocard/GPU or is and i3/i5 with built-in GPU (HD4000 series) good enough to do 3D and 4K playback?

I would say that an Intel i3/i5 series CPU with separate Nvidia GPU, for example GTX-650-TI should be able to fill my needs. Does any of you guys have some recommendations?

Thank you very much!

ZKJohan
Haswell i3/i5/i7 CPUs will support hardware 4k h264 decoding as well as Nvidia Cards up from Geforce 520 ... / 610.
(2013-10-09, 14:31)CaptainPsycho Wrote: Haswell i3/i5/i7 CPUs will support hardware 4k h264 decoding as well as Nvidia Cards up from Geforce 520 ... / 610.

Though how much 4k material will be H264 encoded remains to be seen. H265/HEVC seems to be the favoured codec for future 4k material.
Thanks for your replies guys.

An Haswell i3/i5 CPU it's gonna be I guess, as you stated that it is able to and in the future still will be able to decode 4k-content.

For the GPU I'm still struggling regarding the 4k-output. According to the Nvidia-specs, GTX 640 and above GPU's are able to output hdmi-video at a maximum resolution of 4096x2160 if a single HDMI-port is used which is suitable for my (future) 4K-TV. But every video card manufacturer (MSI, Asus, Zotac etc) state on their website that maximum output resolution is 2500x1600 or something. Anyone has any experience of the GTX-640 and above cards for outputting bigger resolutions?

Edit
Update: After some research, found the following review. It seems that any card with GTX-660 chip and HDMI-output should be able to do the job. In case someone else is doing the same research as me.. Smile

Anyone has experience what so ever with 4K?
IMHO for now take a haswell cpu and use the internal GPU and when hardwaredecoding of h265 is available add the cheapest videocard that supports it.
Sure thing. But I'm a bit afraid of the 4k-resolution output by the built-in GPU. According to the review I've posted earlier it should be possible, but as I read it, it feels a little bit as moving towards the edge when playing 4K-video. And what about 3D-video..? Is it capable of playing it?

You would suggest Haswell CPU (so with built-in GPU) and when I experience some issues with 4K or 3d (or both ^.^, 4K 3D movie) just upgrade it with a cheap video card?
GTX 660 for example is overkill?
The other issue with 4k is that if you want >30fps frame rates over an HDMI connection you need to have HDMI 2.0 connectivity. HDMI 1.4 only supports a max frame rate of 30fps at 4k. Not an issue for movies, but probably more of an issue for gamers (and people watching 4k broadcasts)

(Displayport already supports 4k at 60fps - which is why some 4k TVs are currently equipped with Displayport as well as HDMI 1.4 inputs)

As others have said - I wouldn't spend money now equipping yourself for 4k - as things are still moving re: standards for compression and output - I'd leave yourself some future expansion potential to add 4k support.
I am aware of the issue's you state. I do not own a 4K-tv yet, I am considering it.

At least I want to have an HTPC future-ready, if I buy an 4K-tv now or within a few years. That's the reason for all the research. A good, future ready HTPC is worth the investment (the way I see it ofcourse Wink )
The best solution is haswell i3. Actually there are no gpu or mb with hdmi 2.0 so to get 60p 4k is really hard and expensive. you will have to add a gpu later.. When a cheap gpu with hevc hardware decoding and hdmi 2.0 will reach the market you will buy it. Also is pointless to wait for broadwell. Hevc hardware decoding will arrive I intel gpus in mid 2015 wit sky lake.
I am receiving 4K HEVC 2160/59.94p DVB-T2 tests here in the UK for the World Cup. On my Macbook Pro Retina with a Quad Core 2.7GHz i7 I'm struggling to get a decent frame rate in Windows with LAVFilters or in Windows or OSX with ffplay. I don't have an XBMC HEVC build... Hope to try on a 4GHz over clocked i7-2600K build later this week.

I can record to disk and then offline transcode to H264 2160/59.94p and then replay a bit more fluidly - but the reality is that most content will be HEVC encoded and at the moment there aren't any great solutions for HEVC decoding on the market AIUI?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC-platform with 4K- and 3D-support0