Solved So this is going upstream?
I'm not asking for an ETA (but you are welcome to give one if you are so inclined).
I am however asking if RetroPlayer is going upstream into the standard XBMC release.

In my humble opinion, the lack of a database implementation (like music and video has) is no problem for actually upstreaming this to the main release.
When the functionality is in the main release, programming a good UI / database support will be much more accessible for more programmers / skinners / scripters.

I am asking because if it wont get upstreamed, Id look into going over to your build, but If it will be upstreamed I will probably just wait for the release or download a monthly build.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/3335
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Thanks a bunch, this is exactly what I was hoping for!
according to xbmc liveblog, it will targeted for next release, V14. This is provided that development actually continues. I will be most interested to see whether Garbear remains the sole contributor or if this commands the hearts and minds of other key contributors. Garbear is a busy person and I believe is a student, so his time is limited.
(2013-10-11, 17:49)Adam7288 Wrote: according to xbmc liveblog, it will targeted for next release, V14. This is provided that development actually continues. I will be most interested to see whether Garbear remains the sole contributor or if this commands the hearts and minds of other key contributors. Garbear is a busy person and I believe is a student, so his time is limited.

Thats a long time to wait Sad
I hope preliminary support like what is shown in the video will come to V13
Nope it won't be. Just wait for next version
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
A long time to wait is somewhat debatable. With 14, we're hoping to move to a slightly faster "race" model, where a number of different teams push a few features, and whichever feature reaches the finished point first marks the release of 14. So all you need to do to see Retroplayer out soon is to quickly learn C++, Python, and xml, and get on pushing it forward!
I like your enthusiasm Nate, though I am not proficient in C++ or XML, and I do not know Python Smile Sad
Well, in that case you'll have to wait.
I am enjoying these responses from other XBMC team members. Does this mean more people are jumping on board the effort? God, how I wish my jquery, php, css skills could be of any use.
Can't blame them really. XBMC is a community effort, and by that I mean, we are getting it from them for free.
What can we do to help? We can donate, but that ain't nothing compared, just think of all the hours they spent, and we only spent a few bucks.
Lets say one Team member has pulled in 400 hours, and his time was worth 45 bucks an hour (lets say that's his daytime job), that's 18 thousand dollars worth of man hours.
And even if you wired them 18'000 through paypal, short of paying someone to code, no way they could translate those $$ into an equal contribution to theirs.

So what can you do to help if you want to pull in some hours of helping?
Well you got a couple of options, the best and most time consuming being buying a few books on C++ and starting to code the hell out of some demo projects, until you can contribute something to XBMC.
Another one, that would probably give you more self satisfaction compared to how many man hours you would have to do, is to make some plugins or programs that people need or want (hint: The YouTube app doesn't work).
If you are one of those guys who feels like your head is exploding after trying to even imagining your self programming but you know a lot about XBMC, you could start by improving and cleaning the XBMC wiki.
Or if you are not that proficient with using XBMC, you might want to make YouTube video guides, but if you sound like a 12 year old school girl, get your mum to read a loud a script instead. Smile
At the very least, you can tell your friends about XBMC and install it or even configure it for them if they need help.
(2013-10-14, 19:20)Adam7288 Wrote: I am enjoying these responses from other XBMC team members. Does this mean more people are jumping on board the effort? God, how I wish my jquery, php, css skills could be of any use.

our webinterfaces and I even believe our own website is on github somewhere. We are really needing web guys tbh, so there is plenty to do Tongue
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Well i have also read in the blog comments that users are unsatisfied with the retroplayer for v14 decision. But what they just don't know or don't get - as far as garbears work seems to be - the emulators he is using are only a hackjob which works for linux and windows.

The real time consuming problem is to get a buildsystem setup which will build all those emulator cores for osx, ios, android, rbpi (not a hacked makefile but real integration into our buildsystem). That is the real showstopper from adding "retroplayer without library support" to mainline yet.

And as you might guess there are only 1 or 2 or 3 persons in our team capable of doing proper buildsystems for dependencies (the upstream devs of the emulator cores sadly are not...). So that decision was not made out of lazyness or something - it was well thought out.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2013-10-15, 08:18)topfs2 Wrote:
(2013-10-14, 19:20)Adam7288 Wrote: I am enjoying these responses from other XBMC team members. Does this mean more people are jumping on board the effort? God, how I wish my jquery, php, css skills could be of any use.

our webinterfaces and I even believe our own website is on github somewhere. We are really needing web guys tbh, so there is plenty to do Tongue

our default webinterface is inside our xbmc code tree
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/tree/master...ce.default
which really really need some updating.

and the rest it also on github.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-10-15, 13:45)Martijn Wrote:
(2013-10-15, 08:18)topfs2 Wrote:

our default webinterface is inside our xbmc code tree
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/tree/master...ce.default
which really really need some updating.

and the rest it also on github.

Some updating? It needs a complete facelift. Anyone willing to improve it might want to start from scratch and just use the existing one for an easier way to get some of the basic JSON-RPC requests.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
So this is going upstream?0