Solved Updating Movies sources takes *forever*
Things are certainly improving but still slower than I think it should be over here. Right now a full update will take just about 8 minutes. I tried 3 separate times and get very consistent times. The breakdown of time taken goes:

'Big' share scan - 2 minutes
'Big' share MediaInfo / cleanup - 4 minutes
'Small' share scan - 40 seconds
'Small' share MediaInfo / cleanup - 1 minute 20 seconds

I tried both the existing and newer versions of the MediaInfo DLL and get the same times. The very first scan I did after the update did take longer but after that it is very consistent. I also see in the logs that the .srt files that seem to take so long only scanned the first time after the update and now are not scanning anymore, so that seems to have saved a lot of time. It still seems strange to me that the MediaInfo / cleanup stage still takes so long, especially since in the logs it doesn't even seem to be doing that much anymore. No files are scanned for MediaInfo and this is the only log entry I get for that stage:

2013-10-14 09:15:05,782 INFO [SwingWorker-pool-2-thread-5] o.t.c.m.tasks.MovieUpdateDatasourceTask:147 - removing orphaned movies/files...

That entry takes up the entire 4m + 1m20s for both shares. I can't say I know exactly what it is doing during that stage but it seems strange that it would take twice as long as the scanning phase.

Comparing my update times to mlaggners above, it seems like my times would be mathematically right where they should be if the MediaINfo/cleanup part didn't take so long. He has 500 movies to scan and is getting about 30 seconds on an update with no media added, with 2000 movies it should logically take around 2 minutes which is pretty much what my times are without counting MediaInfo/cleanup.

Still not sure what is taking so long but I am going to try to see if I can rule out my PC or OS as the issue. I'll run some scans on the new version on my Mac when I get a chance, and I also plan to set up some clean Linux and Win7 virtual machines to see if TMM runs faster off the same sources there. I'll report my findings when I can, thanks again for all the hard work!
Client: XBMCuntu Frodo - ASRock ION 330 Pro - Logitech Harmony One
Server: 4U NORCO RPC-4220 20-drive case - UnRAID 5.0 - 38 TB parity-protected storage

Messages In This Thread
RE: - by myron - 2013-10-12, 18:00
RE: - by IceNine - 2013-10-12, 18:33
RE: - by mlaggner - 2013-10-12, 20:42
RE: - by IceNine - 2013-10-13, 03:01
RE: - by mlaggner - 2013-10-13, 09:25
RE: Updating Movies sources takes *forever* - by IceNine - 2013-10-14, 15:40
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Updating Movies sources takes *forever*0