• 3(current)
ChromeCast for XBMC
I have designed this chrome extension. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detai...onfi?hl=en
It works wonderful with my raspberry pi setup. Try this and let me know your comments
I personally would like XBMC to be able to send to chromecast. This way if I'm in the middle of a movie but need to go downstairs I can send the content to another TV without missing anything.

While getting XBMC to act as a Chromecast seems nice we already have plenty of Play to XBMC options to do that.

The issue with doing what I want is the transcoding issues (which I wish XBMC would implement so I didn't need to run a separate DLNA server)

I know XBMC is meant to be a front end only but it already shares files via DLNA it mightas well go the extra step and add transcoding to it as well. Then the HTPC can feed the entire house while being connected to one MAIN viewing source.
(2013-12-11, 06:39)Asphyx Wrote: While getting XBMC to act as a Chromecast seems nice we already have plenty of Play to XBMC options to do that.

We do?
(2013-12-11, 09:30)natethomas Wrote:
(2013-12-11, 06:39)Asphyx Wrote: While getting XBMC to act as a Chromecast seems nice we already have plenty of Play to XBMC options to do that.

We do?
Gotham
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-12-11, 09:52)nickr Wrote:

We do?
Gotham

I'd love to see the part of Gotham that let's me push a Netflix or amazon prime video from my tablet or mobile device to XBMC.
I don't think that's what he was referring to, but then again there is so much woolly thinking about this type of functionality that it is hard to know! I thought he was referring to sending something in your xbmc library to another xbmc machine.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Just ordered the dongle and will be playing around with it. The goal would be to be able to stream stuff from XBMC to any cast-enabled TV via the Android remote control. I'll open another topic as soon as I have something working.
Running XBMC on my HTPC, tablet, phone and pinball machine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.
(2013-12-11, 06:39)Asphyx Wrote: I personally would like XBMC to be able to send to chromecast. This way if I'm in the middle of a movie but need to go downstairs I can send the content to another TV without missing anything.

FWIW, you can accomplish this use case in XBMC with any number of low-cost hardware options like the raspi or an android stick. It may be slightly different that what you're describing though. Rather than "pushing" a movie to the downstairs TV, you would "resume" the movie on that TV. Depending on what you have now, it may require a more complex configuration, but it works pretty well.

Also, since I don't think it's been mentioned here, Plex just started supporting the Chromecast yesterday. So if anyone is really dying to get their media onto the Chromecast then that would be another option. Of course, you need a Plexpass membership to get the feature. There's also a smartphone app called Avia that apparently will send network and local media to the Chromecast. I haven't tried either of these yet.
APIs are here: https://developers.google.com/cast/

They just need to be integrated into the clients. I understand the key is that the content has to be accessible from a web address...
(2013-12-11, 12:45)freezy Wrote: Just ordered the dongle and will be playing around with it. The goal would be to be able to stream stuff from XBMC to any cast-enabled TV via the Android remote control. I'll open another topic as soon as I have something working.

Freaking. Awesome. :D

We do?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detai...bden?hl=en
Works with Hulu and many other content providers...No it doesn't work with NetFlix or Amazon but the Chromecast does work with Netflix already so pick your redundancy there...

(2013-12-11, 10:11)nickr Wrote: I don't think that's what he was referring to, but then again there is so much woolly thinking about this type of functionality that it is hard to know! I thought he was referring to sending something in your xbmc library to another xbmc machine.
Nope I want to either Mirror the XBMC Screen from my HTPC to any Cast Enabled TV, or at minimum be able to dual cast content that is currently playing on XBMC at that moment.

(2013-12-11, 12:45)freezy Wrote: Just ordered the dongle and will be playing around with it. The goal would be to be able to stream stuff from XBMC to any cast-enabled TV via the Android remote control. I'll open another topic as soon as I have something working.
Great News Freezy any help I can provide feel free to ask. The main issue will be in creating the proper stream as the codec options are limited on CCast. Some transcoding might be required but FFMPEG can probably be used to get there.

(2013-12-11, 18:57)awp0 Wrote:
(2013-12-11, 06:39)Asphyx Wrote: I personally would like XBMC to be able to send to chromecast. This way if I'm in the middle of a movie but need to go downstairs I can send the content to another TV without missing anything.

FWIW, you can accomplish this use case in XBMC with any number of low-cost hardware options like the raspi or an android stick. It may be slightly different that what you're describing though. Rather than "pushing" a movie to the downstairs TV, you would "resume" the movie on that TV. Depending on what you have now, it may require a more complex configuration, but it works pretty well.

Also, since I don't think it's been mentioned here, Plex just started supporting the Chromecast yesterday. So if anyone is really dying to get their media onto the Chromecast then that would be another option. Of course, you need a Plexpass membership to get the feature. There's also a smartphone app called Avia that apparently will send network and local media to the Chromecast. I haven't tried either of these yet.
Thats not accomplishing what I want it is just adding some other media player that has NO CLUE what XBMC is playing and manually hunting for the spot I was at which defeats the whole purpose because I could easily just make another HTPC for every TV and do the same thing,

I'm not looking for a way to play media on the TV I can do that already. I'm looking for a way to stream a specific HTPC on ANY TV in the house without having to run an HDMI distribution Amp and Cables all over the house to see what I can see on the screen my current HTPC is attached to.

Chromecast makes it possible. Screen Mirroring is in the pipeline for it already as KitKat has this function in it's AOSP code. Just a matter of getting XBMC to implement this mirroring and transcoding in a format compatible with Chromecast.

That makes it sound easy and I assure you it's not (I'm not suggesting it is easy) Just VERY VERY desirable!

I also support making XBMC mimic a cast Enabled TV. If the Chrome App I mentioned can already do something like this and send content to XBMC then it shouldn't be too hard to find some way to get XBMC to identify itself as a Cast able TV as well. It all happens via Network Announce if I'm not mistaken.

Getting Netflix to support XBMC well thats the hard part! If they were interested there would be an official App for XBMC already!

[EDIT]I should point out that if you can get XBMC to mimic the chromecast as a Castable TV destination you might get your NetFlix to play on XBMC since Netflix supports Chromecast currently!
Perhaps I'm not being clear on why I'm so significantly in disagreement on "Play to XBMC" being good enough currently. The example provided above adds zero functionality, because Hulu is a working addon for XBMC now, as is Youtube. There's nothing interesting about that. The reason making XBMC a chromecast receiver is so interesting is because XBMC would, for the first time, theoretically be able to play Netflix on all devices. Ditto Amazon. Ditto any app that works as a Chromecast sender. It's the promise of Airplay with an even bigger delivery. Getting Netflix to support XBMC would no longer be necessary, because Chromecast would handle the functionality for us.

Ah. Made it down to the bottom of your book-length entry where you essentially admit my point. So I'm guessing you get it now?
(2013-12-12, 21:16)Asphyx Wrote:
(2013-12-11, 18:57)awp0 Wrote:

Thats not accomplishing what I want it is just adding some other media player that has NO CLUE what XBMC is playing and manually hunting for the spot I was at which defeats the whole purpose because I could easily just make another HTPC for every TV and do the same thing,

I'm not looking for a way to play media on the TV I can do that already. I'm looking for a way to stream a specific HTPC on ANY TV in the house without having to run an HDMI distribution Amp and Cables all over the house to see what I can see on the screen my current HTPC is attached to.

Actually it is accomplishing exactly what you want. Straight from the official wiki page that you did not read:

If you have more than one XBMC device on your local network then you might want to synchronize them using a MySQL library. Using a MySQL library allows you to store information about your whole video library in a central database, so that multiple XBMC devices can access the same information at the same time.
This gives you the ability to do things like:
*Share watched and unwatched status for your media on all devices
*Stop watching a movie or TV show in one room then finish watching it in another room automatically
*Only one library to maintain for all devices
I would also like Chromecast support for XBMC (send to Chromecast). Yes you can work around it with additional hardware but it would be very convenient to use Chromecast for everything... I use it more than XBMC now. I don't know how easy it would be to add since I am assuming XBMC would need to transcode everything on the fly for this to work and I don't know if XBMC had that functionality.

I started playing around a bit with Plex now that they added this support, but there's plenty not to like about their solution... the total lack of parental controls (seriously?) and the $75 for the android app that actually has the Chromecast support. $75 is unbelievably expensive for android app. Maybe it's worth it (the sync is also very cool), but maybe not. And there's no way to try it for free, either.
Wow all of the people that are arguing about not attempting to share Xbmc with chromecast are ridiculous. Let's see xbmc grow even more not just stay were it is. What if every piece of technology was treated that way? Ok guys no more new phones or computers..we are all good here...why are you guys even on this forum. I for one would love to see xbmc pushed to chromecast in some form or fashion. At least then the dongle would be worth a crap. As for getting Netflix running on the pi you can do so by means of a plex server. You will need the plex server installed on a windows or mac machine though (if they make it for osx I'm not sure). You could install Netflix to the plex server and the plex app to xbmc...but almost anything on netflix you can already find on xbmc anyway.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeCast for XBMC1