• 5(current)
ChromeCast for XBMC
With the Chromecast already hacked and rooted, and a public release for the Chromecast Cast SDK expected to be coming out early next year, and the preview version available for download today.

I was wondering what is stopping a full native port of XBMC for Chromecast "OS" as well?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/14/more-...cast-apps/
http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/21/googl...athon-app/
http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/27/googl...ndly-apps/

Even if Google might not allow XBMC for Chromecast into the Google Play Store for whatever reason, there would be nothing stopping you from hacking and rooting your Chromecast to side load XBMC.

https://developers.google.com/cast/design_consider
https://developers.google.com/cast/downloads/

I think that a full native port of XBMC with HDMI CEC support would be a more popular platform than Raspberry Pi or Ouya because of the Chromecast low price.

If rooting and installation process for installing a full XBMC port on Chromecast could be made simple as jailbreaking and installing XBMC on Apple TV 2 you should have another unsanctioned success platform
Hedda, can you explain how to root the Chromecast? AFAIK, this was only possible before the first update, which was months ago. But I could be wrong. The updates are automatic so near 100% of Chromecast users have the update installed by now.
I would be surprised if XBMC ever actively tried to support another platform that required hacking for support. iOS was a fairly special case at the time. There were no tiny, cheap devices that could run XBMC. The nvidia ion was an option, but it was extremely difficult to find that anywhere for less than $200.

The Apple TV represented a box that we could work with that actually cost less than $100. It was the first device at that price point that worked with XBMC since the original Xbox, and for that reason it was both incredible and unique.

Today, thanks to the prevalence of ARM hardware, there are dozens of devices that all work with XBMC running either Android or a specialized version of Linux and that cost well south of $100.

From a dev (and a release) perspective, the idea of adding new support for a device that could break at any moment with a new update, when there are SO many devices that cost close to the same and won't break makes little sense to me.

Now, if google made the chromecast open enough that it didn't need rooting, I'd be on board with supporting it. Otherwise, I'd prefer making it unnecessary by replicating the functionality in the thousands of already open devices that right now have no problem running XBMC.
(2013-12-15, 14:46)Hedda Wrote: I think that a full native port of XBMC with HDMI CEC support would be a more popular platform than Raspberry Pi or Ouya because of the Chromecast low price.

Chromecast is a Godsend, but there won't be a solution anytime soon due to lack of orientation and determination. The Plex guys are more determined.

I don't get the arguments. Apple TV also has updates that wipes out XBMC, but you can prevented it from reaching the update server. So, same thing can be done to Chromecast. There must be a way to wipe out the Chromecast software and make it always boot to XBMC.

BTW, Apple TV is no longer a good option. ATV3 is unjailbroken and ATV2 is running out of untethered jailbreaks. Also, ATV2 is limited to 720p.

Chromecast is the way to go. And for the price, I wouldn't mind bricking a couple before finding a solution...
XBMC Eden 12.3 (Dec 24, 2014) on ATV2 JB 5.3 and Nexus 7. One-for-All IR/RF/x10 Remote URC-9911.
(2013-12-15, 22:33)nokian Wrote: I don't get the arguments. Apple TV also has updates that wipes out XBMC, but you can prevented it from reaching the update server. So, same thing can be done to Chromecast. There must be a way to wipe out the Chromecast software and make it always boot to XBMC.

BTW, Apple TV is no longer a good option. ATV3 is unjailbroken and ATV2 is running out of untethered jailbreaks. Also, ATV2 is limited to 720p.

Chromecast is the way to go. And for the price, I wouldn't mind bricking a couple before finding a solution...

Again, I think someone should confirm whether the Chromecast can even be rooted anymore. That includes any unit that has been connected to the internet and new units off the shelf (which very well may have the update preinstalled at the point). It's quite possible that the only units that can be rooted are those that were purchased weeks/months ago and haven't been connected yet. That's a pretty small number IMO.

If new units cannot be rooted, then I would say the Chromecast is effectively the same thing as an ATV3 in this regard and you just explained why it's "no longer a good option".
I don't believe a software update made the Chromecast unhackable. I'm talking about a complete wipe out of the chromecast software and replacing it with a bootable XBMC. Unlike Apple TV, where I wouldn't wanna wipe out the Apple TV features but use XBMC alone side, which proved to be feasible.
XBMC Eden 12.3 (Dec 24, 2014) on ATV2 JB 5.3 and Nexus 7. One-for-All IR/RF/x10 Remote URC-9911.
Google 'owns' Chromecast, they are determined to keep general purpose access off of it. It will fail just like Google TV aka. Android TV is continuing to fail.

Consumers are refusing to notice the slop that Google keeps tossing at on the wall. Consumers want content on their own terms and Google (as others) continue to ignore this.

PS. I did the original AppleTV port because a ton of pieces fell into place that enabled it and I was bored with OSX development. iOS followed because it was just too easy to include it. Lack of jailbreaks is what crippled XBMC on iOS/ATV2. Or I should say lack of released jailbreaks. The hackers have them but they are too scared to release them as Apple will just turn around and plug the hole in the next release. So they wait and Apple eventually finds and plugs the hole on their own and the exploit is then useless.

PPS, Did anyone notice that the Android 'jailbreak' that hit 99.9998 percent of the devices out there was done by Sarik ( the guy who did Cydia ) and it did not take him very long. I think his comment was 'oh, that was trivial...'
Isn't XBMC better to concentrate on making XBMC viable on small android devices - they are pretty well the same form factor as chromecast devices, but more flexible with a proper media player program that isn't tied down.

Bring on XBMCast I say.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-12-16, 01:51)nokian Wrote: I don't believe a software update made the Chromecast unhackable. I'm talking about a complete wipe out of the chromecast software and replacing it with a bootable XBMC. Unlike Apple TV, where I wouldn't wanna wipe out the Apple TV features but use XBMC alone side, which proved to be feasible.

I'm pretty sure the update did indeed make it unhackable (at least with all currently known hacks). I'd love to be proven wrong because I have one and would love to hack it.

Until then, here's what the xda-developers FAQ has to say about it:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...?t=2563143

Which Chromecasts are rootable?
Currently only devices with the original vulnerable bootloader (firmware build 12072) can be rooted.
As newer Chromecasts are already shipping with newer firmware versions (and therefore no vulnerable bootloader), the serial number seems the most reliable way to tell whether an unused, unopened Chromecast can be rooted.
Once set up, a stock Chromecast will automatically update its firmware (OTA updates from Google), so the serial number test is not valid for Chromecasts that have already connected to the Internet, unless you are very lucky and it has not yet downloaded or applied an update. See this discussion.

My Chromecast is supposed to be rootable, but it has already downloaded a Google OTA update. Can I still root it?
If Chromecast has not applied any OTA update, and you did not let it perform the update at boot, then you may be able to abort the update and still root it by opening it, jumping some pins and booting a FlashCast USB stick (it will delete the cached OTA update data). Not for the faint of heart! See this discussion.
If your Chromecast has already applied any OTA update (your firmware build is no longer 12072), then no. Once an update is applied, the bootloader vulnerability is removed and you can no longer root with FlashCast.
(2013-12-15, 22:33)nokian Wrote: Chromecast is a Godsend, but there won't be a solution anytime soon due to lack of orientation and determination. The Plex guys are more determined.

I'm calling it. This thread has officially jumped the shark.
(2013-12-16, 02:38)nickr Wrote: Isn't XBMC better to concentrate on making XBMC viable on small android devices - they are pretty well the same form factor as chromecast devices, but more flexible with a proper media player program that isn't tied down.

Bring on XBMCast I say.

Well, Rockchip based devices already supported by XBMC on Android if your firmware is updated (exclude bugs).

It might be worth waiting to see what Pivos planned for 2014,

I've ordered an Amlogic 8726-MX/M6 based device (g02ref dongle) in hopes it will work without (additional) major issues under Linux.
If taking shipping into account then the device cost me less than the Chromecast.
We can argue the whole day. The bottom line here is that XBMC is The Best HT App and it's time to have your own hardware or at least be Officially supported on a reliable hardware.

BTW, what about Roku?
what's a roku ? Smile
(2013-12-16, 18:51)davilla Wrote: what's a roku ? Smile

I think it's a mythical bird, maybe?
(2013-12-15, 19:27)natethomas Wrote:
(2013-12-15, 14:46)Hedda Wrote: I think that a full native port of XBMC with HDMI CEC support would be a more popular platform than Raspberry Pi or Ouya because of the Chromecast low price.

If rooting and installation process for installing a full XBMC port on Chromecast could be made simple as jailbreaking and installing XBMC on Apple TV 2 you should have another unsanctioned success platform.
The Apple TV represented a box that we could work with that actually cost less than $100. It was the first device at that price point that worked with XBMC since the original Xbox, and for that reason it was both incredible and unique
My point is that because of its less than $30(US) price including worldwide shipping and custom changes, one could easily see Chromecast today represent price-wise what Apple TV 2 did when it was first jailbroken.

Off-topic and rhetorical so no need to reply to this, but I dare you to find a similar spec. XBMC box with 1080p playback capability for $30(US), and note here that as soon as you go over around $40(US) sum including shipping cost then many countries customs will add import duty fees and taxes too. So I double-dare you to find a new XBMC box with 1080p playback capability for $50(US) including worldwide shipping and all customs charges. I think you will quickly see that even if you look at reputable sellers in China (like DealeXtreme) then you can not really find a good XBMC box for anything less than $50(US), at least not if you do not get some kind of special rebate or find a box that is temporary on sale.

Oh, and I would argue that the Raspberry Pi does not count, since the low Wife Acceptance Factor for it with it only coming as a barebone circuit board, and the small fact that you still need to add the kit cost of Chassi/Case, SD-card, USB-memory, HDMI-cable, Power-Adapter you are suddenly at a similar cost of buying a used Pivos XIOS DS of Amazon or a cheap clone of it from China, which again I find is $50(US)+
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeCast for XBMC1