• 104(current)
RaspBMC Kodi/XBMC test builds
Regarding your question, it sounded like you thought that Helix will be dead on Raspberry, but that is not at all what I said.
And maybe there will be a Raspbmc version for Helox too, I really don´t know, but OSMC will be the preferred OS I believe, and it will also be prepared for Kodi/Helix (rebranded).

Raspbmc and OpenELEC are distros optimized to run Kodi/XBMC specifically.
If you use Raspbian and run Kodi/XBMC through an X window session you will se a big decrease in performance.
Also, many (probably most) will only use Kodi/XBMC and have purchased their Pi for this reason, so better performance and no need to install anything (plug-n-play) will probably always be the preferred way.

However, Kodi runs on Raspbian, but if you are asking to optimize an OS for Kodi you should probably ask whoever maintains that OS.
(2014-10-29, 17:16)miappa Wrote: Regarding your question, it sounded like you thought that Helix will be dead on Raspberry, but that is not at all what I said.
And maybe there will be a Raspbmc version for Helox too, I really don´t know, but OSMC will be the preferred OS I believe, and it will also be prepared for Kodi/Helix (rebranded).

Raspbmc and OpenELEC are distros optimized to run Kodi/XBMC specifically.
If you use Raspbian and run Kodi/XBMC through an X window session you will se a big decrease in performance.
Also, many (probably most) will only use Kodi/XBMC and have purchased their Pi for this reason, so better performance and no need to install anything (plug-n-play) will probably always be the preferred way.

However, Kodi runs on Raspbian, but if you are asking to optimize an OS for Kodi you should probably ask whoever maintains that OS.

Thanks, it does not run in an xwindow session it seems to run using the fb directly. I can also runit direclty from the command line without booting into the gui and it seems the same. There seems to be no performance difference and I also tried deb http://archive.mene.za.net/raspbian wheezy contrib unstable which installed 14.0~git20141002.d2a4ee9-1: Helix 14.0 Alpha 4. I really just wondered if one would need to start from a dedicated distro like RaspBMC.

In terms of optimising the OS then are we really only talking about packaging of kodi for raspbian/Debian? In the same way I can install Kodi on Ubuntu! There is not apt-get install in the Rasbian Repos for Kodi.

All of the fantastic work done optimising and fixing issues, is that work committed to the Kodi masters that all versions are compiled from?

Cheers
Spart
6 x Raspberry Pi Model B & B+ Pi2 & 3 Zotac Mag Ubuntu 14.04.1 - Ubuntu 14.04.1 Test Machine Kodi Nightly - RocketNAS 8TB Usable Raid 6 Ubuntu 14.04.1 RocketNAS Build
(2014-10-29, 17:01)miappa Wrote: You have some info here: http://forum.osmc.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=23
More specific features here: http://forum.osmc.tv/showthread.php?tid=15102
And here: http://forum.osmc.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=22
And of course here: http://osmc.tv/about/why-osmc/

There are some early test builds you can test, but they are quite old and very early though.
But it might give you a hunch on what´s different, but Kodi is still Kodi even though the default skin/look will be different.

I've followed the links and I do have a better idea on what is to be expected. Thanks!
(2014-10-29, 17:33)sparticle Wrote: All of the fantastic work done optimising and fixing issues, is that work committed to the Kodi masters that all versions are compiled from?

Cheers
Spart

Everything that is approved for Kodi master, of course. But you are still talking about a lot of test commits, and there are several commits in popcornmix´s test branches that might not go into master, but you can always compile from his git (e.g. newclock4).
Maybe there will be an official package in the future, I don´t know (maybe a team XBMC member can answer that), but it will only work for specific distros though.
(2014-10-29, 18:22)miappa Wrote:
(2014-10-29, 17:33)sparticle Wrote: All of the fantastic work done optimising and fixing issues, is that work committed to the Kodi masters that all versions are compiled from?

Cheers
Spart

Everything that is approved for Kodi master, of course. But you are still talking about a lot of test commits, and there are several commits in popcornmix´s test branches that might not go into master, but you can always compile from his git (e.g. newclock4).
Maybe there will be a package in the future, I don´t know (maybe a team XBMC member can answer that), but it will only work for specific distros though.

Thank you for taking the time to respond and clear up a few issues in my head Smile
6 x Raspberry Pi Model B & B+ Pi2 & 3 Zotac Mag Ubuntu 14.04.1 - Ubuntu 14.04.1 Test Machine Kodi Nightly - RocketNAS 8TB Usable Raid 6 Ubuntu 14.04.1 RocketNAS Build
@miappa

Your builds have been great so far, I'm still running them on two pi's I own, and on friends units.

I know it is a great amount of time you've spent supplying these builds, so thank you so much for allowing us users to get Bleeding edge builds.

Please don't think me ungrateful, but might I suggest, if your able, to keep releasing builds until OSMC is released.
The two test builds Sam has release are nice teasers, but the last build is almost two months old with no idea what Time-table Sam has planned to get OSMC stable.

With your builds, based on Raspmbc's base platform, with the new Helix Kodi versions, we have a known platform we can use to assist in testing Helix on our Pi's.

I'm probably not making sense, so I'll just say it. Please! dont give up on creating Helix builds just yet, until we have OSMC as a viable upgrade to Raspbmc.

But, if you do decide it's time to stop, Thank you for all the work you've done it allowing us users to experience Helix. NodNod
Media Companion Dev.
Media Companion - Kodi / XBMC - Media Companion
So there will be no more builds for raspbmc Huh
@vbat, thanks for the kind words.
@vbat & expandables & all

The thing is a new Kodi build will not run on Raspbmc. You will need to hack and modify the OS (scripts, init, upstart... I really don´t know, haven´t looked into it).
So, if YOU did this you would have a Kodi build that will only work with your unofficial hacked OS, and you would not be able to revert to an earlier build in an easy manner.
As Raspbmc soon becomes OSMC I am quite certain that Raspbmc will not be updated for Helix.

Maybe I will look into this and maybe it´s just easy enough as changing a few scripts, but I really don´t feel that it would help much to any testing as it will be an unofficial setup with no support and probably a version that will never see the light of day as an official build.

Nah.. let´s wait patiently for OSMC, I have a feeling that it will be great!

Edit: For anyone that have missed this, Raspbmc will soon be rebranded and a new version called OSMC will replace Raspbmc. OSMC will of course support Kodi/Helix!
I have xbmc on Raspbian using your builds, question will OSMC be the same install as Raspbmc on Raspbian?
I am pretty sure that you will not be able to use the same installation process.
But in theory it shouldn´t make any difference once installed (installed "correct" that is), but it depends on how Kodi will be shipped in relation to the OS.

But now I am answering questions I really don´t know, I have a feeling that the installation process of test builds (or official releases) on OSMC will be completely different.
We just have to wait and see, who knows, maybe we will get simple Debian packages....(?)... or even complete OS builds, I really don´t know. Smile
(2014-10-30, 15:06)expandables Wrote: I have xbmc on Raspbian using your builds, question will OSMC be the same install as Raspbmc on Raspbian?

@expandables

I am interested in how you installed these test builds on raspbian. I have a Raspbian test pi and have installed kodi using Michael Gorvens builds on it http://michael.gorven.za.net/raspberrypi/xbmc currently Helix Alpha 4, did you use Michael Gorvens repo as the base? Please feel free to PM if this is not the place to discuss this.

Cheers
Spart
Is it possible to add 60 fps youtube to the next build?.
@miappa

Thanks for the explanation. It's all due to the re-branding of xbmc files and folders to kodi, correct?

That fully understandable....pity we can't just re-name the kodi folder back to xbmc...LOL.

Again, thanks for the great builds. Think I'll be sticking to your last build till OSMC is out. Now to ask Sam what his ETA of OSMC is...
Media Companion Dev.
Media Companion - Kodi / XBMC - Media Companion
Hi,

I have answered you on your forum post at OSMC.

http://forum.osmc.tv/showthread.php?tid=...#pid111358
Someone knows where I can get libcec 2.2.0 + headers?
Compiled from pulse eight, but always ending up with 2.1.0.
Get the following error when using 2.1.0, but maybe something else is in play too:
Code:
AR      xbmc/peripherals/peripherals.a
CPP     xbmc/pictures/GUIDialogPictureInfo.o
CPP     xbmc/peripherals/devices/PeripheralCecAdapter.o
PeripheralCecAdapter.cpp: In member function 'void PERIPHERALS::CPeripheralCecAdapter::SetConfigurationFromLibCEC(const libcec_configuration&)':
PeripheralCecAdapter.cpp:1293:19: error: 'CEC::libcec_configuration' has no member named 'iButtonRepeatRateMs'
PeripheralCecAdapter.cpp:1293:48: error: 'const libcec_configuration' has no member named 'iButtonRepeatRateMs'
PeripheralCecAdapter.cpp:1294:72: error: 'CEC::libcec_configuration' has no member named 'iButtonRepeatRateMs'
PeripheralCecAdapter.cpp:1296:19: error: 'CEC::libcec_configuration' has no member named 'iButtonReleaseDelayMs'
PeripheralCecAdapter.cpp:1296:50: error: 'const libcec_configuration' has no member named 'iButtonReleaseDelayMs'
PeripheralCecAdapter.cpp:1297:74: error: 'CEC::libcec_configuration' has no member named 'iButtonReleaseDelayMs'
PeripheralCecAdapter.cpp: In member function 'void PERIPHERALS::CPeripheralCecAdapter::SetConfigurationFromSettings()':
PeripheralCecAdapter.cpp:1398:19: error: 'CEC::libcec_configuration' has no member named 'iButtonRepeatRateMs'
PeripheralCecAdapter.cpp:1399:19: error: 'CEC::libcec_configuration' has no member named 'iButtonReleaseDelayMs'
make[1]: *** [PeripheralCecAdapter.o] Error 1
make: *** [xbmc/peripherals/devices/peripheral-devices.a] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

Also, I got Kodi(.bin) running quite easily, only had to add+disable some jobs and modify some scripts.
If someone is interested I could try to make a simple how-to and some simple scripts.
  • 104(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RaspBMC Kodi/XBMC test builds15