Windows 8.1 XBMC Unable to create GUI, Exiting
Hello,

Think I fixed this problem (for myself :-)). After updating to windows 8.1 I also had this problem. Had a Intel® HD Graphics 4000 installed AND a NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M. I disabled the Intel HD. Reinstalled XBMC and everything works again. Probably someone else can explain me why this worked. Hope I helped somebody else.

Greetings
Dennis
I had the same problems as described when upgrading to Windows 8.1. Tried installing the Windows SDK to resolve the problem but the setup crashed during launch. Stumbled on to this ticket (http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudi...indows-8-1) while trying to fix things.

Shutting down MSI Afterburner and MSI On-Screen Display Server did the trick for me. After that it was possible to install the SDK which proved to be unnecessary as XBMC started normally as soon as those two applications weren't running.

Hope this helps some of the NVIDIA users who are still having problems.
Hello everyone.

Same problem as others, i.e. after upgrading to Windows 8.1 XBMC responds with 'cannot create GUI'. I'm running XBMC on a Samsung Chronos laptop that has 2 internal graphics cards. One card is an Intel HD3000 and the other an AMD Radeon HD6750M and the solution for me was to disable one of them (either one) in Device manager and start XBMC. In this configuration XBMC works correctly but if I enable both cards at the same time I have the GUI error message once again. It is not an ideal solution but at least it works for the moment. I would like to point out that I did not have this problem with either Windows 7 64bit or Windows 8 64bit so it would appear that something is broken in Windows 8.1

Regards to all,

Peckish
(2013-10-18, 09:00)WiSo Wrote: Unfortunately we don't have any windows directx experts any longer in the team so fixes in that area are not to expected.

That explains a lot. I'm tempted to ditch Windows 8.1 and revert to 7, or Vista - just to get XBMC to work correctly.

Apologies if the above sounds bitchy, it's not my intention.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
Piers - for $100 you can get a OUYA that will run XBMC. Or $50 will get you a used APPLE TV G1 that can have XBMC loaded on it. Sometimes you just have to reach an investment limit.
(2013-11-06, 18:09)ktjensen Wrote: Piers - for $100 you can get a OUYA that will run XBMC. Or $50 will get you a used APPLE TV G1 that can have XBMC loaded on it. Sometimes you just have to reach an investment limit.

Knowing that windows is still the most used OS for XBMC it's hard to believe that developers are moving away from it... I hate to think so.
(2013-11-06, 18:09)ktjensen Wrote: Piers - for $100 you can get a OUYA that will run XBMC. Or $50 will get you a used APPLE TV G1 that can have XBMC loaded on it. Sometimes you just have to reach an investment limit.

I have a Lenovo Q180 which should work, 2 RPi and a few Android devices - I just like to sit on my couch with Windows on the TV. Also the Ouya is twice the price in the UK, more or less. For an extra £25-40 I could buy another net top.

(2013-11-06, 15:49)peckish Wrote: Same problem as others, i.e. after upgrading to Windows 8.1 XBMC responds with 'cannot create GUI'. I'm running XBMC on a Samsung Chronos laptop that has 2 internal graphics cards. One card is an Intel HD3000 and the other an AMD Radeon HD6750M and the solution for me was to disable one of them (either one) in Device manager and start XBMC. In this configuration XBMC works correctly but if I enable both cards at the same time I have the GUI error message once again. It is not an ideal solution but at least it works for the moment. I would like to point out that I did not have this problem with either Windows 7 64bit or Windows 8 64bit so it would appear that something is broken in Windows 8.1

Debug logfile?
I explicit enabled the internal graphics adapter on my win 8.1 64bit system but XBMC still runs fine so I'm unable to reproduce it.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hello everyone.

@WiSo

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. Please look here for my debug log >> http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=81325

For the test I disabled the AMD Radeon HD6750M and only used the Intel HD3000. It was also a clean install of XBMC without any plugins installed.

Regards,

Peckish
No W8.1 problem with 3 other PC's (Asrock ION and PC Core i5 with Nvidia GT 220).

Only with my laptop: I have this problem after upgrading from W8 to 8.1: unable to create GUI
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=84360

My laptop:
Dell Vostro/Core i5 AMD Radeon HD6490M/W8.1

What I already tried:
I uninstalled XBMC and removed the userdata directory (in C:\Users\XX\AppData\Roaming\XBMC)
I then installed the W8.1 development kit (do I need to run it ?)
I installed XBMC again with same issue.

I would appreciate an alternative solution/hint, thanks
KODI: LibreElec on Raspberry Pi
KODI: LibreElec on Asus Chromebox

I'm starting to think the 6400 series is beginning to not like XBMC.

EDIT: I have two PC's using a 6400, the other two use a 6990 and 7950 - those work fine.

Same problem here... everything was fine with Windows 8 until I upgraded to 8.1
I tried all the suggestions in this thread (thanks everyone!), but none worked.

So I tried something simple and my issue is now resolved.

1. Backed up, and deleted the file "guisettings.xml" from %appdata%/roaming/XBMC/user data/.
2. Started XBMC and IT WORKED. It started up with the default Confluene skin.

XBMC auto created a new "guisettings.xml". Sure I had to reconfigure my skin (ReFocusBIG) from scratch, but I find it a very small price to pay to have my XBMC back. And having Windows 8.1 booting straight to the desktop is glorious (MSFT what were you ever thinking!?)

I've rebooted my HTPC a few times and XBMC worked every time. I hope this helps some people out.

EDIT: Specs: Lenovo Q190 ATOM, ATI Radeon 6400, Windows 8.1
I need help loading xbmc on windows 8
I tried the download but I don't see anywhere that I can watch movies or TV shows.\
on my last putr I had XP and when I went to xbmc it had a tiled screened and I had no problems with watching stuff
but with win 8 when I open xbmc I have a non tiled screen and no access to sites that I had previously.
any help would be appreciated also I am not a putr whiz like so many of you I just want to watch
movies and TV shows\Thanks everyone.
Frank
@dualstrats,
Your question has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. Please start your own thread in the appropriate forum. Thanks.
Had the same problem with my Medion P7818 (Intel Graphics & NVIDIA Graphics).
It seems to be a problem with the Intel graphics. After I disabled the Intel Graphics Card in the control panel / device manager xbmc started normaly.
Maybe with a newer device driver in future I can activate the Intel Graphics again ...

Probably this tip may help you.

(2013-11-21, 03:59)peter1226 Wrote: Same problem here... everything was fine with Windows 8 until I upgraded to 8.1
I tried all the suggestions in this thread (thanks everyone!), but none worked.

So I tried something simple and my issue is now resolved.

1. Backed up, and deleted the file "guisettings.xml" from %appdata%/roaming/XBMC/user data/.
2. Started XBMC and IT WORKED. It started up with the default Confluene skin.

XBMC auto created a new "guisettings.xml". Sure I had to reconfigure my skin (ReFocusBIG) from scratch, but I find it a very small price to pay to have my XBMC back. And having Windows 8.1 booting straight to the desktop is glorious (MSFT what were you ever thinking!?)

I've rebooted my HTPC a few times and XBMC worked every time. I hope this helps some people out.

EDIT: Specs: Lenovo Q190 ATOM, ATI Radeon 6400, Windows 8.1

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 8.1 XBMC Unable to create GUI, Exiting1