My ugly XBMC box gets uglier!
While I briefly had an Athlon 64 3200+ based box, it gave me a lot of problems and I build an A6-3500 box to replace it. It was an ATX case to allow me to stuff more hard drives into it, but otherwise sat quietly with it's A6 ticking away nicely.

This Christmas, as AMD was discontinuing the FM1 socket, I picked up the A8-3870K to replace the A6-3500 in a boxing day sale. If the socket is being discontinued, might as well max it out for longevity, right? Slowly it ingested more hard drives as things went on. It had 5 SATA ports and 1 eSATA, so I used an eSATA to SATA cable, fed from the exterior to the interior, to enable me to use a 6th hard drive. Recently, my desktop workstation was upgraded to an HD 7950, allowing me to 'hand me down' the HD 6850 into the XBMC box. Since the HD 6850's fan was a bit loud, I replaced it with a new cooler kit from Arctic which also took up less space (Not much clearance between GPUs and HDDs). The HD 6850s graphics performance in benchmarks went up 3x or more, in comparison to the HD 6550D that was built into the A8-3870K. I expected an improvement but not 3x. There's still more to go. The next HDD will require a PCI-E SATA controller card and 5.25->3.5 adaptor rails but I'll keep it coming. Till then, please enjoy the mess that is my current XBMC box. Smile

Oh and what do I use it for?

XBMC, Sabnzbd, SickBeard, CouchPotato, MySQL (For it and other XBMC clients in the condo), DriveBender (To pool it's HDDs into one while sharing it over the network as NAS), Steam Big Picture Mode and Cinema 4D Team Render Client. Yes, it ALSO sometimes help to render 3D rendering for Cinema 4D, though the render client is permanently set to lowest CPU priority to allow everything else to run smoothly. It's a bit busier than the E-350's being built on this forum. Tongue
Have I painted my homebuilt speakers yet - No
Have I painted my homebuilt actice AV-Bench yet - No

functionality over appearance is my motto! Smile

Edit: What is that contraption on the chassi's side, opposite to the CPU fan ? I have never seen anything like it..
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2013-10-20, 02:30)pike Wrote: Edit: What is that contraption on the chassi's side, opposite to the CPU fan ? I have never seen anything like it..

It's just a plastic funnel to funnel air from the CPU out through a vent. I have one on my PC.
(2013-10-20, 02:30)pike Wrote: Edit: What is that contraption on the chassi's side, opposite to the CPU fan ? I have never seen anything like it..

(2013-10-20, 02:37)Corpus_Chain Wrote: It's just a plastic funnel to funnel air from the CPU out through a vent. I have one on my PC.

Yeah, what he said. Came with the cheapo case I'm using.
I just ordered this case to upgrade my unraid case (it has 5 hdds, and they get a little hot i think).

Has 6 3.5" slots, and comes with 2 120mm fans up front, and its pretty cheap!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811112354

(this is assuming you are even in the states!)
I just love the fact that you were proud enough of your machine that you took of picture with you in it!
More people should do that,....but then again,.....with names like, "gort, beer, pirate, snake, buzzsaw, ugly,...",....maybe not!
Okay, so I made some of those names up. Wink
If thats ugly then mine is undesirably terrible.

It has wires spliced into place using insulation tape for fans, some stuff hot glued gun into place and missing loads of screws, its also a complete pig sty inside, all shoved in an old case I found somewhere Big Grin Big Grin

but it works so cant complain to much.
Great setup! I like your shirt too Smile

I thought I'd share a video of it in operation, mainly showing off the integration of Steam into it, rendering it into the perfect media/console like game machine for my bedroom. Big Grin ...Granted most game consoles don't have 14TB of storage inside them.
That's....awesome!!!! lol
(2013-12-07, 23:24)FredG89 Wrote: That's....awesome!!!! lol

I think this box will have my Xbox 360 controllers outliving the Xbox 360 itself. Tongue
So I've since built and setup that new Kodi box of mine.

The A8 box from my original post is the HTPC for my bedroom and is the server, the box under the TV here in the living room only has storage for it's own operating system and Steam games. Yes, it's one big honken ATX case. It's built out of a used i7 3770K I had when my workstation was upgraded (Which you can see with it's own four monitor setup). I tossed in a Radeon HD 6950 I got used off a friend and it's one heck of a HTPC/Steam Box. Having finished up college and working in the visual effects industry I live alone now, no roommates, but I wanted a living room welcoming to have friends over for movie nights and what not.
I wouldn't necessarily call your AMD pc ugly, but your home is definitely very nice (and everything is so neat and tidy!), and I love that 4 monitor setup !
Holly Balls, 4 monitor setup, now I'm jealous!
(2015-01-11, 11:27)MrCrispy Wrote: I wouldn't necessarily call your AMD pc ugly, but your home is definitely very nice (and everything is so neat and tidy!), and I love that 4 monitor setup !

It was made tidy for the photo. Tongue It helped that that rug was just put in that day so the floor was clear. You can actually seem left over holiday mess through the doorway in the kitchen of the apartment. Tongue

(2015-01-13, 23:32)k4sh1n Wrote: Holly Balls, 4 monitor setup, now I'm jealous!

It's justified in my line of work! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My ugly XBMC box gets uglier!0