• 3(current)
Video "Buffering" stutter every few minutes on 10.9
(2013-11-24, 17:04)jhonny30 Wrote: I am not so sure? As i understand you use nfs manager to edit what folder to share using nfs... So i would thing to use nfs manager to tell which folder to share on my nas and so acces it with xbmc? How did you understand it?

Well nfs manager is a mac only program. My nas is linux based (archlinux). I already have nfs on my server. Problem is i spent ages to get my ma to access nas via nfs with no luck. Macs are really really finicky with nfs access despite everybody saying its build in and ttgus easier. When i was trying to set it ip i went through years of posts and nobody has ever been able to consistently get cross plator nfs running. Mac to mac might be easier since the thread obviously has a solution.

I read through the thread an yes, the solution is for the server, not for client. And since my server is linux i need a solution on my client side.
Seems we will have to wait for xbmc update or mavericks update:-(

Wondering if i should downgrade to os x 10.8 again:-(
I set up an NFS server manually on my Mavericks machine. NFSManager was not working here (or I missed a setting somewhere). It was REALLY simple to set it up manually, though. There's a Wiki for it ( http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=NFS#NFS_sharing_from_OS_X ) and it really just comes down to adding the "-N" option to the /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.nfsd.plist file (this allows XBMC access even if it's not run as root, which it normally isn't), making an /etc/exports text file with the shares you want to include as the Wiki explains (typically just the directory plus options like -alldirs as indicated in the examples in the Wiki) and then starting up the server with "sudo nfsd start" from a shell.

As a client, it's even simpler. You just connect to the server like any other (e.g. if your NFS server was called "Server.local" and the videos you wanted to access was in /Volumes/MediaDrive you would just select "Go" from the Menu Bar in Finder and then Connect to Server and put in "NFS://Server.local/Volumes/MediaDrive" and it will come right up. In XBMC, you can use ZeroConf to find it very quickly. Note that NFSD doesn't need to be running to access an NFS share on another system in Mavericks. It only needs to be running to BE a server on your Mac.

I haven't had any issues using NFS in Mavericks either as a client or server. It's MUCH nicer on my Gen1 AppleTV units running Eden to use NFS than either AFP (buggy as hell) or SMB (requires SMBUp installed to function right as Apple's SMB2 is not compatible with XBMC Eden at all) and SMB still runs slower (typically times out when my media drive is sleeping whereas NFS gives it enough time to start, so it just works better as well). And with XBMC using NFS, I can leave Apple's SMB2 running to talk to other Macs or Windows machines instead of having to use SMBUp (GNU licensed Samba 3) which AFAIK is slower than SMB2, which is M$'s commercial protocol. I think you need Samba 4 for full compatibility with SMB2 and it has partial compatibility for SMB 2.1. I see no mention of support for SMB3 yet.
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
So if i understand correctly, it would be ennough to connect to my nas using the NFSs:// command wihout changing anything on my mini?
Or do i need to enter some other commands?
Because i cannot seem to connect to my nas like this (says something like the file server does not allow additional users to log on. Try again later)
When i use cifs:// it is working (read somewhere that this could be a workaround the smb bug)!!
(2013-11-25, 00:32)jhonny30 Wrote: So if i understand correctly, it would be ennough to connect to my nas using the NFSs:// command wihout changing anything on my mini?
Because i cannot seem to connect to my nas like this (says something like the file server does not allow additional users to log on. Try again later)
When i use cifs:// it is working (read somewhere that this could be a workaround the smb bug)!!

Nfs:// also doesnt work for me. Like i said, i tries for days on end since when i was setting this nas up my original intention was to use nfs not smb.

As for cifs:// i tried this aswell as i read some article about it. But nothing changes. Same stuttering.
Does he give you the same error than me when using nfs?
Tried this:
To force all connections to be SMB1:
Open A terminal window
paste in the following line followed by the return key(should be all on one line):
echo "[default]" >> ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf; echo "smb_neg=smb1_only" >> ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf

What the command does:
Creates a file called nsmb.conf in your home directory at the path ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf.
Adds directives to force SMB connections to use the SMB1 protocol. This is slower but stable.

Watched 1 file that stuttered before... Now seem to work. But that was 1 file... Have to do further testing but i am optimistic;-)
Ok...it really seems to work for me after a little bit of testing
(2013-11-25, 04:18)nmirza Wrote:
(2013-11-25, 00:32)jhonny30 Wrote: So if i understand correctly, it would be ennough to connect to my nas using the NFSs:// command wihout changing anything on my mini?

Nfs:// also doesnt work for me. Like i said, i tries for days on end since when i was setting this nas up my original intention was to use nfs not smb.

As for cifs:// i tried this aswell as i read some article about it. But nothing changes. Same stuttering.

Just putting NFS:// doesn't work for me either. Frankly, SMB:// doesn't work for me. Why? It's because they're not complete addresses. It has no idea what machine on the network you're trying to access, let alone which folder. When I put NFS://local.server, it STILL doesn't work (local.server is what OSX Server originally named my machine and I just left it) because I don't have permission to access root (it just says I don't have permission and doesn't explain more than that). Any web site where you attempt to access directories you KNOW are there but are not accessible to regular internet users will give "forbidden" errors. It's just the way the system works AFAIK. You'd think NFS:// would get OSX to do some ZeroConf (aka Bonjour) scan or something, but it doesn't. XBMC, on the other hand, has no trouble seeing the NFS shares with ZeroConf.

So as I said above, you MUST include the actual full PATH to the shares. My own Linux install is hopelessly out of date as I haven't booted into it for literally years here (it was Mandriva 2009) and I can't seem to get its software updated now as all the repository links are giving errors and I don't have the NFS server installed so I can't test it offhand. But it shouldn't matter so long as your Linux NFS shares are set up correctly. So, if your Linux Server machine's name was let's say "ServerLX" and its IP address on your local network is say 192.168.1.5 and the exports file has access to media drives/folders at location /mnt/MediaDrive1 (say it's an external hard drive with tons of media folders within it) and /home/JackLemon/LocalMedia which is just a local folder for the user named "JackLemon" where he puts some temporary videos he's downloaded and isn't sure if he wants them on the archive drive or you have multiple users or whatever, THIS is how you'd access them from OSX. (Note that you'd need -Alldirs in the exports file to access folders within folders, etc.)

Go to Finder and select "GO" from the menu bar. Put this in the box that comes up:

For everything on MediaDrive1 either of these will work:

NFS://ServerLX/mnt/MediaDrive1

or

NFS://192.168.1.5/mnt/MediaDrive1

To access the JackLemmon user's "LocalMedia" folder it would be either:

NFS://ServerLX/home/JackLemon/LocalMedia

or

NFS://192.168.1.5/home/JackLemon/LocalMedia

Those will bring up those drives/folders in Finder and you can then browse around any sub-folders, etc. and/or add them as a favorite bookmark.

The same is true for using OSX as a server machine for NFS as I'm doing for XBMC devices and my laptops around the house to access my 3TB Media drives. It's set up exactly the same as a Linux NFS setup and accessed the same way (directories assigned might vary by distribution or something, but the basic setup should be the same).

Those shares might be located in OSX in NFS://ServerName/Volumes/MediaDrive1 or NFS://ServerName/Users/JackLemmon instead (I can verify for certain these work here as I have it set up on OSX).

Now there might be some nifty way I don't know about to give those directories a simpler shortcut name link (I really haven't played around with it that much since I only need XBMC to read these shares and once set I don't have to touch it again unless I add another drive), but that's how I access my basic media with NFS and I've verified my Macbook Pro can read those shared NFS directories from its Finder without configuring ANYTHING on that machine. It just works (as long as the full address is given). To create an NFS server share, you have to follow the directions links above in the Wiki which involves three basic steps (-N added so XBMC can access without running root; an exports file with the drive locations to share and starting the server with "sudo nfsd start" (stop turns it back off which you need to restart if adding new directories, etc. later). That's pretty much all I needed to get my system up and running. On XBMC, I could just select ZeroConf to get to the NFS shares very easily without having to type anything in. There's probably some way to do that in OSX itself, but I'm not sure what it is offhand.
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
:-) i know i have to enter the complete adress:-) i just wanted to "shortcut" it for my explanation...sorry!
But still it doesn't work. It says that it "doesn't accept any additional users to log on"...

Is every NAS nfs-ready? Maybe the buffalo linkstation pro duo i have isn't? Didn't find anything on the internet about that?!

As for the wiki i am not 100% sure about what it does?! Do i have to use that to enable something before i can connect via nfs?
I thought that the wiki will just be usefull after i manage to connect via the command nfs://ipadress/
(2013-11-26, 00:32)jhonny30 Wrote: :-) i know i have to enter the complete adress:-) i just wanted to "shortcut" it for my explanation...sorry!
But still it doesn't work. It says that it "doesn't accept any additional users to log on"...

Is every NAS nfs-ready? Maybe the buffalo linkstation pro duo i have isn't? Didn't find anything on the internet about that?!

As for the wiki i am not 100% sure about what it does?! Do i have to use that to enable something before i can connect via nfs?
I thought that the wiki will just be usefull after i manage to connect via the command nfs://ipadress/

You might have a look at this thread: http://forum.buffalo.nas-central.org/vie...=4&t=25667

It sounds as if the Buffalo products do not have the NFS networking packages in them. It sounds as if they can be added, but you have to get root access enabled and what not and possibly even compile a new kernel.
Yeah read that, but i honestly don't think i know enough about these kimd of things... Whats a kernel??
Putting in some terminal commands is one thing, but this seems to complicated for me

So you see... I am stuck here waiting for apple to fix this:-(
i also just mention smb:// and nfs:// as shortcuts. i use the full address of my server and mount point. if i type in just smb://192.168.0.8 a window pops up showing me all my mount points. or i can type in smb://192.168.0.8/Disk1 and it mounts that specific point.

unfortunately with nfs I don't have similar luck. it just says server can't connect. My server (a pogoplug with archlinux) actually supports nfs.
@nmirza - debug log (wiki)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2013-11-26, 11:35)Memphiz Wrote: @nmirza - debug log (wiki)

Hi,
Logs and detailed breakdown of issue is in post #4

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1534841
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video "Buffering" stutter every few minutes on 10.91