WIP Testers wanted for improved subtitle selection feature
The goal of PR #3396 is to improve auto-selection of subtitles.
Currently the following could happen.

If the user's preference is not met, an (almost) arbitrary subtitle is displayed.
For example it might happen that you see French forced subtitles while the audio language is set to English. With the new system no subtitles will be activated in that situation.

This is achieved by narrowing down the set of relevant subtitles.
A subtitle track is relevant if
  • it was previously selected (e.g., resumed playback), or
  • it's a forced subtitle with the same language as the selected audio track, or
  • it's a default subtitle, or
  • it's language matches the preferred language (which is not set to "original stream's language").
If no relevant subtitle is found, subtitles will be disabled.

Please test this feature and report back your results and ideas for improvement.

[Update 8.11.13] Here's the download link: win32

Linux testers have to compile it themselves Wink.
There's another step that could be implemented to further narrow it down:

If a movie has an external -and- internal subtitle with the same language, the external one ought to be considered relevant since there's probably a reason why the user has acquired a new subtitle with the same language (to correct spelling mistakes, version with or without descriptive text for hearing impared viewers, etc)
@ace20022, time for try fix load external subtitles in ISO BD or BD Folder, don´t work yet, only work using internal subtitles, and have other situation Portuguese (Brazil) is missing for alternate original default value, now have only Portuguese, I check frodo and exist option Portuguese (Brazil), but in Gotham, no more in Preferred Subtitle Language.

I have open ticket 17 months ago about

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/13104
MediaBrazil forum Website - Youtube Channel
MQ9-1.6.0.29 - 09.15.2023 - Aeon MQ Skin Team
MarcosQui Website Donate and support us.
(2013-10-24, 17:19)sialivi Wrote: There's another step that could be implemented to further narrow it down:

If a movie has an external -and- internal subtitle with the same language, the external one ought to be considered relevant since there's probably a reason why the user has acquired a new subtitle with the same language (to correct spelling mistakes, version with or without descriptive text for hearing impared viewers, etc)

That does not work at the filter step, but external subs are preferred over internal ones, at least that's how it should be. Doesn't that work?
(2013-10-24, 17:46)Wanilton Wrote: @ace20022, time for try fix load external subtitles in ISO BD or BD Folder, don´t work yet, only work using internal subtitles, and have other situation Portuguese (Brazil) is missing for alternate original default value, now have only Portuguese, I check frodo and exist option Portuguese (Brazil), but in Gotham, no more in Preferred Subtitle Language.

I have open ticket 17 months ago about

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/13104

Has that ever worked? If so, since when is it broken?
The last time this work perfect, Eden. Frodo, broken and In gotham, work for short time, but new changes, and broken again.

Look this my post in 2013/05/08, work external in this day

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1416532
MediaBrazil forum Website - Youtube Channel
MQ9-1.6.0.29 - 09.15.2023 - Aeon MQ Skin Team
MarcosQui Website Donate and support us.
(2013-10-24, 18:03)ace20022 Wrote: That does not work at the filter step, but external subs are preferred over internal ones, at least that's how it should be. Doesn't that work?

For me, it doesn't.

Sample file: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41720...ubtest.zip
Log file: http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=74519

The log file shows the sample file being played in the build you posted in this thread. Default settings, nothing changed after installing it to rule out the custom settings I normally use. I've also tried both with and without a language code in the filename, and in both cases it still selects the internal subtitle.

The log shows that it finds the external subtitle file, yet it still defaults to using the internal one.
Yup, I can confirm that with this build internal subs are preferred over external ones.
As a side question - why does XBMC loads subtitles at all if the preferred audio track is available - why it load the preferred audio and subtitles at the same time? There is no point in displaying subtitles when desired language audio is available.
(2013-10-24, 23:29)NEOhidra Wrote: As a side question - why does XBMC loads subtitles at all if the preferred audio track is available - why it load the preferred audio and subtitles at the same time? There is no point in displaying subtitles when desired language audio is available.

because in some parts of the world we want original language + subs instead of the silly remuxed audio
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Well i missed a detail - i mean when a desired language is set for the audio stream and subtitles XBMC would fallow obay the settings. It will switch to the selected audio language and will also display subtitles for the same language.

If i want to have the original audio i would not touch "Preferred audio language" field (will leave it to "Original streams language") and just select a "Preffered subtitle language".

Martijn do i miss something?
(2013-10-24, 20:23)ezechiel1917 Wrote: Yup, I can confirm that with this build internal subs are preferred over external ones.

It's not just this build though; all nightly builds, going back for quite some time.
(2013-10-24, 19:17)Wanilton Wrote: The last time this work perfect, Eden. Frodo, broken and In gotham, work for short time, but new changes, and broken again.

Look this my post in 2013/05/08, work external in this day

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1416532

Ah, ok I remember, couldn't find a fix at that time. Will add it to my list but with low priority...
Not really, just tested clean installation of latest windows nightly - XBMCSetup-20131023-c9e757b-master.exe and your sample and external subs are preferred there. Also latest linux build prefers external subs just fine here.

(2013-10-25, 02:39)sialivi Wrote:
(2013-10-24, 20:23)ezechiel1917 Wrote: Yup, I can confirm that with this build internal subs are preferred over external ones.

It's not just this build though; all nightly builds, going back for quite some time.
(2013-10-24, 19:50)sialivi Wrote:
(2013-10-24, 18:03)ace20022 Wrote: That does not work at the filter step, but external subs are preferred over internal ones, at least that's how it should be. Doesn't that work?

For me, it doesn't.

Sample file: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41720...ubtest.zip
Log file: http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=74519

The log file shows the sample file being played in the build you posted in this thread. Default settings, nothing changed after installing it to rule out the custom settings I normally use. I've also tried both with and without a language code in the filename, and in both cases it still selects the internal subtitle.

The log shows that it finds the external subtitle file, yet it still defaults to using the internal one.

Of course the internal one gets chosen. The internal one has the default flag whereas the external has no information at all:
Code:
DEBUG: CUtil::GetExternalStreamDetailsFromFilename - Language = '' / Name = '' / Flag = '4369' from J:\Test Files\_subtest\walking.srt

But I'm happy you provided the sample/log because that revealed a bug: the flag of the external one should be 0 meaning FLAG_NONE.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Testers wanted for improved subtitle selection feature0