WIP Testers wanted for improved subtitle selection feature
FYI, posted a new off-topic but related thread in the feature suggestion forum with a related idea to move Music Lyrics Addon core handling to XBMC's core, same as subtitle addon core will be

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=177752

Could maybe this improved subtitle code also be extended or reused for lyrics too?

(2013-11-11, 17:29)RockerC Wrote: I like to suggest that (Music) Lyrics Addons core handling code be moved to XBMC's core.

Since it have already been decided that the Subtitles Addon core handling will be moved to XBMC's core in Pull Request 3552, maybe that code could be extended to also support similar lyrics service plugins too?

Pull Request 3552 idea is to the GUI portion of the XBMC Subtitles Script into XBMC's core, and has the individual subtitle services run as plugins from there, which will allow better skin integration of downloading of subtitles.

So perhaps the same new UI window(s) and concept could be extend or reused to be used for lyrics service plugins?
No, it's totally unrelated.
Has\will this made it in to gotham nighty builds can I ask?
Thanks
It's in. Wink
(2013-11-24, 19:15)ezechiel1917 Wrote: It's in. Wink

Thanks.
New test build: removed
Quote:We discussed at github that forced subs only make sense if they match the current audio track's language.
For example, the only language that would help me would be English.
But to meet the specification we could change that.

If I have gone to the trouble of editing the MKV headers to set a track to forced it's because I want it displayed even though subs are off by default.

The language shouldn't matter unless there are multiple tracks marked forced, I don't need XBMC second guessing me, forced means show it.
You can enable it manually, which might be less trouble.
(2014-02-05, 08:58)ace20022 Wrote: You can enable it manually, which might be less trouble.

The point of forced subtitles is so that you don't have to enable them manually.

This has worked in previous versions of XBMC. If a sub is marked as forced it gets displayed, simple as that. You don't need fancy logic regarding audio language or this and that - forced means show it. Always.

It is too late to change that behaviour now. Lots of users have muxed or header edited their movies/shows to have 'forced' flag for a subtitle track when they want it to display... they've done this precisely because that's what XBMC has required of them. So you can't change it now, it's too late.

If you want to make the subtitle logic smarter it must not break the way that people have been using it for years.
(2014-02-05, 11:46)voochi Wrote:
(2014-02-05, 08:58)ace20022 Wrote: You can enable it manually, which might be less trouble.

The point of forced subtitles is so that you don't have to enable them manually.

This has worked in previous versions of XBMC. If a sub is marked as forced it gets displayed, simple as that. You don't need fancy logic regarding audio language or this and that - forced means show it. Always.

It is too late to change that behaviour now. Lots of users have muxed or header edited their movies/shows to have 'forced' flag for a subtitle track when they want it to display... they've done this precisely because that's what XBMC has required of them. So you can't change it now, it's too late.

If you want to make the subtitle logic smarter it must not break the way that people have been using it for years.

Just because people do things for years it is the best or the only possible way?
And why are you telling me what I have to do or what I can't?

If you have set the correct language, i.e., preferred language, and the forced flag, the subtitle gets still displayed .

However, if there is only one forced subtitle you could be right. I will think about it.
(2014-02-05, 00:22)voochi Wrote:
Quote:We discussed at github that forced subs only make sense if they match the current audio track's language.
For example, the only language that would help me would be English.
But to meet the specification we could change that.

If I have gone to the trouble of editing the MKV headers to set a track to forced it's because I want it displayed even though subs are off by default.

The language shouldn't matter unless there are multiple tracks marked forced, I don't need XBMC second guessing me, forced means show it.

If user prefers subs to be off, then even forced subs should be off.
In the other case when (default behaviour):
Code:
preferred audio language: original stream's language
preferred subtitles language: original stream's language

forced subs will still take a priority over any other subs with other or no flags and will be displayed like you want,
so I don't really see an issue here. Huh
(2014-02-05, 13:09)ezechiel1917 Wrote: If user prefers subs to be off, then even forced subs should be off.

No. Most people who are not deaf will want subtitles off by default. So you can say they 'prefer subs to be off'.

BUT, they will want forced subs to show automatically.

Quote:In the other case when (default behaviour):
Code:

forced subs will still take a priority over any other subs with other or no flags and will be displayed like you want,

It is nice to have language based logic but it is not reliable because quite often subtitle language or audio language are not flagged in MKV track headers. Some people will have just muxed in their forced subtitle track, set the flag to 'forced' and not bother to set the track language because they have never needed to thus far. There will be people with hundreds or thousands of files like this.

ace20022 Wrote:Just because people do things for years it is the best or the only possible way?

I am simply telling you that this is the behaviour that people expect. If they upgrade to Gotham and tracks they flagged as forced don't show up automatically, be prepared for hundreds of threads asking why.
(2014-02-06, 19:17)voochi Wrote: I am simply telling you that this is the behaviour that I expect

fixed that for you.

(2014-02-06, 19:17)voochi Wrote: be prepared for hundreds of threads asking why.

so business as usual for these forums.
(2014-02-06, 19:17)voochi Wrote:
(2014-02-05, 13:09)ezechiel1917 Wrote: If user prefers subs to be off, then even forced subs should be off.

No. Most people who are not deaf will want subtitles off by default. So you can say they 'prefer subs to be off'.

BUT, they will want forced subs to show automatically.

Quote:In the other case when (default behaviour):
Code:

It is nice to have language based logic but it is not reliable because quite often subtitle language or audio language are not flagged in MKV track headers. Some people will have just muxed in their forced subtitle track, set the flag to 'forced' and not bother to set the track language because they have never needed to thus far. There will be people with hundreds or thousands of files like this.

ace20022 Wrote:Just because people do things for years it is the best or the only possible way?

I am simply telling you that this is the behaviour that people expect. If they upgrade to Gotham and tracks they flagged as forced don't show up automatically, be prepared for hundreds of threads asking why.

When preferred subtitles language is set to original stream's language xbmc respects standard flags preference, language logic comes to play only when there are multiple subtitles with forced flag or default flag. And that HAS to be done.

If you have correct mkv headers like you say and original original stream's language set for subtitle language you don't really have to care even when you have Subtitles enabled in Audio and Subtitle settings. Only forced or default subs will be displayed.

By default forced subs WILL show automatically, but users should have an option to not display any subtitles (even with forced flags) - manually by unchecking Enable subtitles for currently playing video or setting that globally. I think it doesn't make sense to display any subitles when you have Enable subtitles disabled.
It's like ezechiel said. Thx! I totally forgot original stream's language for a moment. But as a general note: It's just like with any other file, e.g., mp3 file, if the meta data is not correct or incomplete the player is not the guilty one Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Testers wanted for improved subtitle selection feature0