• 7(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2013-11-05, 17:53)Platypus2 Wrote:
Quote:You are the only one here with the new NUC so you are going to get to play guinea pig till more people get them.

I'm almost certain he doesn't have it...the only people that do are reviewers and they have prototypes. They have also had them since late September / early October so he's been pretty quiet if he does in fact have one. I figured he has one of the ivy ones and added an IR to it. Please correct me if I'm wrong, Selene

As I linked before, I have this;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F3F3...UTF8&psc=1

I think the i3 version isn't the same as the i5 one which isnt fully released yet, but it has a IR receiver built in. I didnt put it there.

I bought the remote at microcenter and it doesnt seem to work. I'm going to try to program it a bit before returning it.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/a...dia-remote

Can't seem to find "intel" or anything similar, so I'm not sure what to put it in as. Did a brief search of the manual and google and I guess I've got nothing.
(2013-11-05, 18:16)Selene Wrote:
(2013-11-05, 17:53)Platypus2 Wrote:
Quote:You are the only one here with the new NUC so you are going to get to play guinea pig till more people get them.

I'm almost certain he doesn't have it...the only people that do are reviewers and they have prototypes. They have also had them since late September / early October so he's been pretty quiet if he does in fact have one. I figured he has one of the ivy ones and added an IR to it. Please correct me if I'm wrong, Selene

I think the i3 version isn't the same as the i5 one which isnt fully released yet, but it has a IR receiver built in. I didnt put it there.

I bought the remote at microcenter and it doesnt seem to work. I'm going to try to program it a bit before returning it.

Can't seem to find "intel" or anything similar, so I'm not sure what to put it in as. Did a brief search of the manual and google and I guess I've got nothing.

Wow ok nice, when did that arrive?

I guess you are going to have to
(2013-11-05, 16:39)voip-ninja Wrote: play guinea pig

then Big Grin

I would have thought that previous remotes that work with OpenElec and IR's would work with the new NUC's, are you finding that isn't the case?
(2013-11-05, 18:28)Platypus2 Wrote:
(2013-11-05, 18:16)Selene Wrote:
(2013-11-05, 17:53)Platypus2 Wrote: I'm almost certain he doesn't have it...the only people that do are reviewers and they have prototypes. They have also had them since late September / early October so he's been pretty quiet if he does in fact have one. I figured he has one of the ivy ones and added an IR to it. Please correct me if I'm wrong, Selene

Wow ok nice, when did that arrive?

I guess you are going to have to
(2013-11-05, 16:39)voip-ninja Wrote: play guinea pig

then Big Grin

I would have thought that previous remotes that work with OpenElec and IR's would work with the new NUC's, are you finding that isn't the case?

I have a VISTA MCE remote with a IR, and I can plug that in, and it works just fine. Remotes.xml works too, just like I would imagine it did before, but as far as getting the consumer IR to recognize either the XBox remote or the MCE one, I'm having no luck. I looked through the bios and couldn't find anything that would be helpful either. That's why I was slightly worried about the driver maybe not being available for linux distros, but I read a post somewhere else where people wrote:

15 hours ago by mushoss...
Will a Harmony remote set up for windows turn this on/off as it comes from intel?

8 sec ago by Andrew Van Til...
Yes the CIR supports discrete power IR commands. You will need to select the right WMC profile (SE IIRC) though.

So, I guess my next step is to get a harmony remote maybe. That's more money than I wanted to spend on this but I think it's worth it.

The OpenELEC suspend feature with my NUC doesn't let it turn off when I shut it down via the interface. It just reboots the thing after a brief turnoff. Similarly, with IR, I can't resume from suspend when it miraculously seems to work as it should. I think the Wake-On-USB thing might be a little messed up with OE as people are saying that XBMCbuntu works just fine getting out of S3. That's kind of why I want this remote situation resolved...
I'm not sure what's going on with your setup. I actually have one of the handful of older motherboards for Ivy Bridge that has an Intel CIR header on it. I bought a CIR IR receiver from eBay and hooked it up, and OE has always worked with it, it even turns the PC on and off just using the stock "MS Windows" remote presets while using my Harmony One.

If this does not work with the integrated IR in Haswell I'm going to be bummed off. Looks like I'm going to hold off another few weeks before ordering to see how this plays out.
(2013-11-05, 22:34)voip-ninja Wrote: I'm not sure what's going on with your setup. I actually have one of the handful of older motherboards for Ivy Bridge that has an Intel CIR header on it. I bought a CIR IR receiver from eBay and hooked it up, and OE has always worked with it, it even turns the PC on and off just using the stock "MS Windows" remote presets while using my Harmony One.

If this does not work with the integrated IR in Haswell I'm going to be bummed off. Looks like I'm going to hold off another few weeks before ordering to see how this plays out.

Well it seems that's the thing.. the harmony one apparently seems to work with it, according to this person. I just think the xbox controller doesn't.
(2013-11-05, 22:39)Selene Wrote:
(2013-11-05, 22:34)voip-ninja Wrote: I'm not sure what's going on with your setup. I actually have one of the handful of older motherboards for Ivy Bridge that has an Intel CIR header on it. I bought a CIR IR receiver from eBay and hooked it up, and OE has always worked with it, it even turns the PC on and off just using the stock "MS Windows" remote presets while using my Harmony One.

Well it seems that's the thing.. the harmony one apparently seems to work with it, according to this person. I just think the xbox controller doesn't.

Well, it's worth pointing out (I guess) that there are several MS/Media-Center/Xbox remotes... and they don't all work natively with either OE or XBMC. The Harmony One itself isn't doing anything special, you just tell it which device you have and it is programmed with those IR frequencies and key-presses.

If it helps you out, I've programmed the Harmony One with both the "MS Keyboard" remote profile and the "Media Center PC" profile. Each of these profiles offers different keys that OE will recognize with the CIR USB IR... for example, the Media Center PC profile allows for power on and off (although under Windows all it does is a power suspend, it does do a real power on/off with OE).

My "XBMC" device profile has buttons from both devices programmed, so I can do things like get the "info" or "debug" window up in OE very easily.

You can get a Harmony remote pretty cheap, rather than trying a grab-bag of 3rd party remotes that may or may not work properly maybe you should just pick up a Harmony from Amazon. You can get one for $50 or so and then you also have the advantage of having a remote that can work your TV, cablebox/DVR, AVR, etc.
Harmony one is an awful choice for an HTPC remote, its just about the slowest reacting remote on the market. The lag is horrendous compared to my MCE remote.
Harmony 300 is a good - not so expensive choice...

but it needs Logitech's tweaking in order to reduce lag as much as possible (by contacting logitech)..

Logitech's greatest advantage is the easy setup of their remotes...

actually individual buttons can be configured to any one's preference...

Something that NO other brand can ..
(and i dont mean by using the IR Learning function of a remote - which i find so primitive.. Smile )...

but it is true that they do suffer from lag... it can be reduced ... but it there...
(2013-11-05, 23:03)voip-ninja Wrote:
(2013-11-05, 22:39)Selene Wrote:

Well, it's worth pointing out (I guess) that there are several MS/Media-Center/Xbox remotes... and they don't all work natively with either OE or XBMC. The Harmony One itself isn't doing anything special, you just tell it which device you have and it is programmed with those IR frequencies and key-presses.

If it helps you out, I've programmed the Harmony One with both the "MS Keyboard" remote profile and the "Media Center PC" profile. Each of these profiles offers different keys that OE will recognize with the CIR USB IR... for example, the Media Center PC profile allows for power on and off (although under Windows all it does is a power suspend, it does do a real power on/off with OE).

My "XBMC" device profile has buttons from both devices programmed, so I can do things like get the "info" or "debug" window up in OE very easily.

You can get a Harmony remote pretty cheap, rather than trying a grab-bag of 3rd party remotes that may or may not work properly maybe you should just pick up a Harmony from Amazon. You can get one for $50 or so and then you also have the advantage of having a remote that can work your TV, cablebox/DVR, AVR, etc.

Well, I exchanged the Xbox remote for a Rebuf Harmony 900.. so I'll try that out a few days I suppose, and see if I can get it to do what I need.

I have Media Center PC 2 (MicrosoftMCE Keyboard)
as well as
Media Center PC (MicrosoftWindows Media Center SE)

Neither of which do anything at all with my OpenELEC haswell nuc.

As soon as I plug in the 15$ remote IR and that, it works just fine. I don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong, but it just doesn't seem to work at all.

Beginning to think that the consumer IR only probably works in Windows. Can't be sure about that. Tried XBMCbuntu, no luck there.
(2013-11-06, 00:38)Selene Wrote: Beginning to think that the consumer IR only probably works in Windows. Can't be sure about that. Tried XBMCbuntu, no luck there.

It might well do actually :S - Though how would they do this? Drivers? Surely there must be some way to get it working in linux...just since its so new we cant play around with it yet?

The only way to find out though is to install windows temporarily (if you have a copy / or just do 30 days free or w.e. it is lol). Or just wait for one of us to get one and we can try it Sad
(2013-11-06, 00:38)Selene Wrote:
(2013-11-05, 23:03)voip-ninja Wrote:
(2013-11-05, 22:39)Selene Wrote: Well it seems that's the thing.. the harmony one apparently seems to work with it, according to this person. I just think the xbox controller doesn't.

Well, I exchanged the Xbox remote for a Rebuf Harmony 900.. so I'll try that out a few days I suppose, and see if I can get it to do what I need.

as well as

As soon as I plug in the 15$ remote IR and that, it works just fine. I don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong, but it just doesn't seem to work at all.

Beginning to think that the consumer IR only probably works in Windows. Can't be sure about that. Tried XBMCbuntu, no luck there.

update: I found out that using Windows Media Center turns on the NUC it just doesn't do anything else.

I'm new to this remote, but once everything is on, i should be able to use the directional controls to utilize it right? I feel like this is definitely user error at this point, hopefully.
(2013-11-06, 01:25)Platypus2 Wrote:
(2013-11-06, 00:38)Selene Wrote: Beginning to think that the consumer IR only probably works in Windows. Can't be sure about that. Tried XBMCbuntu, no luck there.

It might well do actually :S - Though how would they do this? Drivers? Surely there must be some way to get it working in linux...just since its so new we cant play around with it yet?

The only way to find out though is to install windows temporarily (if you have a copy / or just do 30 days free or w.e. it is lol). Or just wait for one of us to get one and we can try it Sad

That's a bummer ! one of the good point of this NUC was the IR, hopefully we will have a OE supports soon via generic drivers or else, will wait before buying it for more Guinea pig tester

There was someone who contacted Intel in regards to the NUC Haswell release, might be worth asking the question to that contact, can't find the link anymore

Quite like the Xbox remote compare to the all other cheap one and ugly ones out there
iMac OS X 10.10, ATV3, LG 3D TV, Onkyo Home cinema 5.1,SLICE/OpenELEC/HELIX
(2013-11-06, 01:28)Selene Wrote:
(2013-11-06, 00:38)Selene Wrote:
(2013-11-05, 23:03)voip-ninja Wrote: Well, it's worth pointing out (I guess) that there are several MS/Media-Center/Xbox remotes... and they don't all work natively with either OE or XBMC. The Harmony One itself isn't doing anything special, you just tell it which device you have and it is programmed with those IR frequencies and key-presses.

as well as

update: I found out that using Windows Media Center turns on the NUC it just doesn't do anything else.

I'm new to this remote, but once everything is on, i should be able to use the directional controls to utilize it right? I feel like this is definitely user error at this point, hopefully.

Yes, once the NUC is up on OE the remote should handle the directional key-presses, etc. There is however more than one model of Windows Media Center remote, you might have one that doesn't have native XBMC support. You will probably have more success when you get the Harmony. For my Harmony setup I use the Media Center remote profile so that I can power the PC on and off and use it for directional keypresses. I then use the MS keyboard buttons that I want and map those in to specific buttons on the Harmony. It works quite well other than OE in general being a little bit laggy in IR response compared to running Windows on the same machine.
Working with OE on the issue. Think the IR isn't picked up by OE, I'll let you guys know.
(2013-11-06, 19:32)Selene Wrote: Working with OE on the issue. Think the IR isn't picked up by OE, I'll let you guys know.

Great news hopefully it's a simple fix. Will hold off my purchase for the moment.
iMac OS X 10.10, ATV3, LG 3D TV, Onkyo Home cinema 5.1,SLICE/OpenELEC/HELIX
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7