• 24(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2013-11-17, 03:12)Clack Wrote: Same thing. I know it's something simple we're missing. Thanks for the help guys.
Have you tried running the script manually? Use ssh to log into your system and run
Code:
# sh /storage/.config/autostart.sh
# dmesg | tail -15
@lmyllari: Thanks for all the hard work. Extending the RGB range to full definitly helps. I like it so much that I even tried it on my NUC i3 IYE (first gen) and and was able to reajust the display settings on the TV to something more "normal" compared to other devices I have - never seemed to be quite right with the greys/blacks. I did a side-by-side with the old nuc vs new nuc on the same tv with two different inputs with all else being equal - the haswell NUC still seems to be crushing blacks more the the ivy brdige NUC but is still a huge improvement. Assuming the inputs on the TV do not actually vary in calibration which is also possible I suppose.
(2013-11-17, 03:55)aesalazar Wrote: @lmyllari: Thanks for all the hard work. Extending the RGB range to full definitly helps. I like it so much that I even tried it on my NUC i3 IYE (first gen) and and was able to reajust the display settings on the TV to something more "normal" compared to other devices I have - never seemed to be quite right with the greys/blacks. I did a side-by-side with the old nuc vs new nuc on the same tv with two different inputs with all else being equal - the haswell NUC still seems to be crushing blacks more the the ivy brdige NUC but is still a huge improvement. Assuming the inputs on the TV do not actually vary in calibration which is also possible I suppose.
If you don't mind testing, how does the old NUC behave with switching the RGB range using xrandr? Does it give you grey blacks too if you change it to "Limited 16:235"?
I tried OpenElec with XBMC 12.2 on 3 TVs - a Vizio, a Sony Bravia, and an LG. I only got washed out black on the Bravia, but the Brava didn't recognize my mini HDMI to HDMI so I had to use mini display port to HDMI adapter. Not sure if the grays were because of the TV or the display port vs HDMI. The autostart script worked as-is for me. One weird thing is the remote is laggy with OpenElec but worked better in XBMCbuntu

ISOs and MKV movies take 2-5 minutes to start with OpenElec for me, even on NFS vs SMB.
Yes, it does. It behaves pretty much like the haswell. Hope that is not a bad sign that we may have to live with the new nuc as is. I should not that it is with Ubuntu 12.10 on the old nuc and not OE. Not sure if I am running an older version of the intel drivers - not sure how to even check.
(2013-11-17, 03:37)lmyllari Wrote:
(2013-11-17, 03:12)Clack Wrote: Same thing. I know it's something simple we're missing. Thanks for the help guys.
Have you tried running the script manually? Use ssh to log into your system and run
Code:
# dmesg | tail -15

I ran the above code with ssh through putty, to run the script manually and it did not make the remote work. It fires right up when I use the code within the script directly with ssh.
(2013-11-17, 04:23)Clack Wrote:
(2013-11-17, 03:37)lmyllari Wrote:
Code:
# dmesg | tail -15

I ran the above code with ssh through putty, to run the script manually and it did not make the remote work. It fires right up when I use the code within the script directly with ssh.

Did you forget to: chmod +x /storage/.config/autostart.sh
Yes, I'm sure I did. Where do I put that bit? In the script or run it with ssh?
Just run it straight with ssh. It makes the script executable.
Ran it, rebooted, no luck.

Then ran:

# dmesg | tail -15

no luck.

btw, I really appreciate all your collective help with this. Wife won't be happy with me if I can't make it go..... :/ Big Grin
(2013-11-17, 05:46)Clack Wrote: Ran it, rebooted, no luck.

Then ran:

# dmesg | tail -15

no luck.

btw, I really appreciate all your collective help with this. Wife won't be happy with me if I can't make it go..... :/ Big Grin
What's the output of those commands?

I tried the software decoding a little more, and it doesn't seem to be a viable option currently. Multithreaded decoding seems enabled only for some content (or maybe it's limited to slice level or something) - a full bluray was using 4 threads and playing easily, but other h264 content seemed to be only using one thread, hitting 100% and stuttering.

edit: looked into xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Video/DVDVideoCodecFFmpeg.cpp and slice level multithreading is forced by xbmc. There is a recent commit https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/6a53...db298ece55 that adds a setting to allow frame level multithreading. I think new OE builds should have it.
Can someone tell me if this:
(RGB LIMITED):
sudo intel_reg_write 0x70008 0x40002000
sudo intel_reg_write 0x70008 0xC0002000

is effectively the same as:
DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"

Is one persistent while the other is required to be run at startup?

Anyway I have a haswell i3 nuc and have run both of those commands in a terminal in the same Ubuntu session, and I like the black level, don't see obvious crushing.

What is the easiest way to run the remote/black script from this thread on Ubuntu at startup? I like to boot to xmbc manually.

FWIW My issues so far have been similar to others but I think most are work-aroundable (for _my_ videos at least on a panasonic S50).
Needed to Boot-Repair because of UEFI not installed by the live disk.
Sound not playing initially (just clicked on something green in settings)
Gray instead of black (scripts above).
Some video tearing out of the box.
(2013-11-16, 07:41)lmyllari Wrote: 1) Full range output:
Code:
xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"
, disable VA-API decoding

Tried that, crushed blacks for me, if i take my BR Player for Ref. that streams the same MKV, i
see many details lost, if u see A - B u recognize even more..

BUT VA-API diable doesn't make any difference for me, not in the HUD and neither during movies...i see no difference in color space..?

2) Limited range output (with nightly):
Code:
xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"
, disable VA-API decoding, set 16-235 range in system -> video and set limited range RGB from your TV/monitor. This gives the best quality (no banding in greyscale ramp, blacks and whites don't clip).

U say..set 16-235 range in system...i can not find that option in my system - settings - video....same menu where the VA-API Disable option is..? I can't fin it..?

My full testing results for those who might be interested:
ubuntu, mplayer2 vo gl
xrandr output range full
1 black clipping: 20 lowest visible
3 white clipping: 234 highest visible
misc a greyscale: banding visible (darker looking stripes)
misc a color clipping: red 233, green 233, blue 233 visible

ubuntu, mplayer2 vo gl
xrandr output range limited
3 white clipping: 252 highest visible
misc a greyscale: no banding visible
misc a color clipping: red 235, green 235, blue 237 visible

oe 3.2.3 xbmc 12.2 git:97a9f05
xrandr output range full
misc a greyscale: banding visible

misc a color clipping: red 251, green below 219, blue 243 visible

This is what i am basically using just with VA-API disabled (doesn't do any change for me) and i still see ur results...colors are way off..

oe nightly devel-20131109194305-r16358, git: f653098f0800c40375abc36ef1c669755e6f4f6e
xbmc 13.0-ALPHA git:b58612c
xrandr output range full
refresh rate matching off (to match ubuntu 60Hz)
misc a color clipping: red 251, green below 219, blue 243 visible

oe nightly devel-20131109194305-r16358, git: f653098f0800c40375abc36ef1c669755e6f4f6e
xrandr output range full, no vaapi decoding
misc a color clipping: red 231, green 233, blue 231 visible

xrandr output range full, no vaapi decoding, system -> video -> use 16-235
misc a color clipping: red 237, green 235, blue 237 visible

oppo bdp93
rgb limited range output, no dithering
misc a color clipping: red 235, green 233, blue 237 visible

edit: I just noticed that this issue has been seen earlier at http://openelec.tv/forum/116-vaapi-intel...saturation

Best for me works if i set xandr to limited 16-235 and then tune the display to it, i still see some lost detail but for now it works best for me Sad
This can't be a real...just can't believe it....that is something i have never thought i´d have to deal with Sad
(2013-11-17, 07:51)Metagoudabuntu Wrote: What is the easiest way to run the remote/black script from this thread on Ubuntu at startup? I like to boot to xmbc manually.

I put them in /etc/rc.local in my ubuntu NUC. Just make sure to run chmod +x on it if it is not executable.

Ernie
(2013-11-17, 05:46)Clack Wrote: Ran it, rebooted, no luck.

Then ran:

# dmesg | tail -15

no luck.

You aren't actually typing "#" are you? That will comment out the command and cause it not to run.
  • 24(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7