• 26(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2013-11-18, 08:23)gamble Wrote: Xandr works for me as u stated

Limited 16-235 RGB -> Blacks are greyish but Details are there, for now i am using this method and made a Color Profile on my TV for it

Full RGB -> Crushed Blacks, on first sight this looks better cuz black IS black, but many Details get Lost ( I watched the same scenes on my BR Player and the NUC side-by-side)
Just checking - you're not using the same color profile for full RGB? That would explain the crushed blacks.

VA-API should not affect black levels, only colors.

I'm not currently using nightly. I tried the two latest ones (to get multithreading), but xbmc won't even start. I think it was 16358 that I used for testing 16..235. I'm on 3.2.3 with VA-API disabled, but playback is limited to files that can be handled by a single core or can be handled by slice mt.

Until we get a VA-API driver fix, or frame mt in xbmc (either a Gotham based OE nightly, or a backport), I'll be limited to 720p and will use my bluray for everything else.
In the beginning i didnt change the color profile so my sightings that i described last post were all made on my Standart Profile, i calibrated my TV once and use this settings for all my devices

When set to Full-RGB it wouldnt make sense to calibrate it since due to the crushed Blacks the lost details wont come back even if i make the image "brighter"
BUT on Limited-RGB i can tune the "brightness" down to make the greyish black again with all details available..problem is i dont get the calibration spot on, it is enough for watching my stuff on the TV,
but when watching via my beamer i use my BR-Player for playback..

VA-API just effects colors u say...hmm..ok and how do u guys then handle the crushed blacks and lost details, thats my biggest concern for now..
Imyllari, could you please explain how to xandr step by step?
Im a total noob and dont understand squat of all this.
Where do i write the code?
I dont have a autostart.sh, should i create one under /storage?
I have nightly but i cant find the range setting 16-255.

Please explain it little more.

Regards R
2 x NUC I5 4250U, 16GB Cruical, 120GB Kingston mSata
OPPO BDP-95
Netgear ReadyNAS RDPU4000, 4 x RED 3TB
JVC DLA-X95/RS66
Integra DHC-80.3, 2 x Sunfire TGA-7401
9.2 Sunfire 10 x CRS3C, 2 x CRM2-Bip

(2013-11-16, 07:41)lmyllari Wrote: There are two problems as far as I can see. First, the RGB range is not signaled to the monitor.

I'm just catching up here, but didn't you say you have a 500M? It's a known bug of the 500M that it doesn't switch to limited RGB correctly, so possibly that's the effect you're seeing here?
(2013-11-18, 12:38)Ravetrancer Wrote: Imyllari, could you please explain how to xandr step by step?
Im a total noob and dont understand squat of all this.
Where do i write the code?
I dont have a autostart.sh, should i create one under /storage?
I have nightly but i cant find the range setting 16-255.

Please explain it little more.

Regards R

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Autostart.sh
First thing u need to do is log on your NUC via ssh and generate a Startup Script as
described here :

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Autostart.sh

Here is step by step how to do it on a Mac..

Go to the Terminal, from there type :

ssh [email protected] (IP of ur NUC)

Then it will ask u for the password, which is : openelec

You should be logged in now.
Then type like stated in the Guide above :

echo "#!/bin/sh" > /storage/.config/autostart.sh && chmod +x /storage/.config/autostart.sh

This command makes the autostart.sh available and puts it in the right directory.

Next Command then is :

nano /storage/.config/autostart.sh

This should open up a new window (The Autostart.sh).

In the first line u should see :
#!/bin/sh

Under this u write this command :

DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"

So in the End it should look like this :

#!/bin/sh
DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"

Then Press CTRL+X, it will ask to safe, type Y (yes) and then press enter.

Now u should be back in the Terminal, still logged on ur Nuc....just Type "exit"
and close the Terminal.
Reboot ur NUC now and black should be (too) black again.
(2013-11-16, 07:41)lmyllari Wrote: oe nightly devel-20131109194305-r16358, git: f653098f0800c40375abc36ef1c669755e6f4f6e
xbmc 13.0-ALPHA git:b58612c
xrandr output range full, no vaapi decoding, system -> video -> use 16-235
1 black clipping: 20 lowest visible
3 white clipping: 252 highest visible
misc a greyscale: no banding visible
misc a color clipping: red 237, green 235, blue 237 visible

This works great, finally the black levels are fine! Thanks.

Noteworthy:
  • The i3 NUC software decoding power is fine up to full bluray mkv remuxes. But with 3D bluray mkv remuxes, for play back in 2D the i3 is not strong enough. We really need VAAPI to get fixed.
  • The nightly devel-20131109 works fine for me, and it is currently the last version that works. The newer ones only display a black screen at boot.
Since I still didnt got my SSD (and will not for the next 2 weeks Sad), is there any easy way to get Gotham nightly devel on USB like OE 3.2.3 to test it?
Can u give me a direct link to the Nightly that works so i can test when i get home in 30 mins ?

thanx
(2013-11-18, 16:01)Crssi Wrote: Since I still didnt got my SSD (and will not for the next 2 weeks Sad), is there any easy way to get Gotham nightly devel on USB like OE 3.2.3 to test it?

Sure, its the same like with an SSD.

@ gamble: Shoult be this one:
http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/Ope...r16358.tar
or
http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/Ope...r16358.tar
Oh, i just looked for the Intel builds and could´t find it, cheers Smile

edit.

Ok as stated before im pretty new to all this and pretty happy to come this far...enough problems occurred..
So for Backup it is enough to get a Copy of my Userdata folder, and when the Nightly Experiment doesnt work out
i just install frodo again and copy back my user data folder...right?

And one more thing...can i install the nightly and use my frodo Userdata Folder on the Gotham Alpha too, or is
this not going to work?
(2013-11-18, 17:08)gamble Wrote: Oh, i just looked for the Intel builds and could´t find it, cheers Smile

edit.

Ok as stated before im pretty new to all this and pretty happy to come this far...enough problems occurred..
So for Backup it is enough to get a Copy of my Userdata folder, and when the Nightly Experiment doesnt work out
i just install frodo again and copy back my user data folder...right?

And one more thing...can i install the nightly and use my frodo Userdata Folder on the Gotham Alpha too, or is
this not going to work?

Yes and yes. Plus I don't think you need to copy the user data folder back (but you can if you want to keep safe).

Anyway, I will absolutely not go back to frodo, gotham runs well enough. The few minor bugs are not an issue, and gotham brings so many needed features (new ffmpeg with 6.1 FLAC audio support and more, the new forced subtitles auto switching depending on audio language that just got merged, etc...)

The gotham builds maintain compatibility with frodo (they keep older frodo entries in the database so you can go back).
(2013-11-18, 08:58)gamble Wrote: In the beginning i didnt change the color profile so my sightings that i described last post were all made on my Standart Profile, i calibrated my TV once and use this settings for all my devices

When set to Full-RGB it wouldnt make sense to calibrate it since due to the crushed Blacks the lost details wont come back even if i make the image "brighter"
BUT on Limited-RGB i can tune the "brightness" down to make the greyish black again with all details available..problem is i dont get the calibration spot on, it is enough for watching my stuff on the TV,
but when watching via my beamer i use my BR-Player for playback..

VA-API just effects colors u say...hmm..ok and how do u guys then handle the crushed blacks and lost details, thats my biggest concern for now..
I think my full range playback is pretty much matching full range from my bluray player. Can you check the Basic Settings/1-Black Clipping.mp4 from avshd709 and compare to full range output from another device? Maybe your TV is doing something funny with it?

(2013-11-18, 13:30)Diapason Wrote:
(2013-11-16, 07:41)lmyllari Wrote: There are two problems as far as I can see. First, the RGB range is not signaled to the monitor.

I'm just catching up here, but didn't you say you have a 500M? It's a known bug of the 500M that it doesn't switch to limited RGB correctly, so possibly that's the effect you're seeing here?
That's what I initially thought too. I had read about that bug when I set up an nvidia based system a few years ago.

I am now thinking though that the 500m just assumes full range on RGB signal if there are no infoframes indicating otherwise (this would make sense to support PCs that might be just using a DVI->HDMI adapter). My bluray player is able to signal to the 500m which RGB range it's using - when I switch between limited and full range output, the black levels don't change, but I can confirm that the output level changed by setting the input range manually on the monitor.

Anyway, since I don't have other equipment to test, I'd like other people's experience to see if it's working for anybody.
lmyllari, does your BluRay play MP4s natively? Is that how you're testing these patterns on it? Or did you burn your own bluray disc?

My BluRay player won't play MP4s. My next option is to put those files onto a USB stick and try to play them directly from my television.
(2013-11-18, 18:26)Alchete Wrote: lmyllari, does your BluRay play MP4s natively? Is that how you're testing these patterns on it? Or did you burn your own bluray disc?

My BluRay player won't play MP4s. My next option is to put those files onto a USB stick and try to play them directly from my television.
My bluray player can handle MP4s from a USB storage device and that is how I'm testing.

You could try if your player takes AVCHD from USB or DVD? That should be supported by most players I think.
  • 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7